Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I each own 2003 Pilot's. Her's was such a fine automobile I bought one after a few months. The differences between the two are so great it's hard to believe they are the same type vehicle. My dashboard creaks, and rattles like crazy. Her's is perfect. My door sill fell off after 10 days. Her's is perfect. Mine gets 15-16 MPG. Her's gets 20-22. Mine vibrates so much at highway speeds it is uncomfortable to drive very far. (Goodyear Tires) Her's is perfect. (Bridgestone tires) Both Pilot's have thunks or thuds coming from the rear of the vehicle, even on relatively smooth roads. 3000 miles on one, 1000 miles on the second one. I have tried to locate the source of the noise but I cannot identify the source. If anyone has any thoughts where the rear noises are coming from or any suggestions on quieting the dashboard I will greatly appreciate the help. If I can't get my Pilot squared away pretty soon I'll be forced to buy a GM SUV! Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
Fixed...

My wife and I noticed a noise in coming from the back of our Pilot on a recent trip too. After we took our neice home the noise disappeared....

Don:p

·
Registered
365 Posts
Re: Fixed...

dandbtucker said:
My wife and I noticed a noise in coming from the back of our Pilot on a recent trip too. After we took our neice home the noise disappeared....

Don:p
:jester: :jester: :jester:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Still an issue?

You guys should check out a previous thread titled "rattle from the right rear." I would be interested in knowing how your rattle relates to this thread. Few realize that this noise is not normal including Honda. BPILOT

·
Registered
991 Posts
pas1 said:
My wife and I each own 2003 Pilot's. Her's was such a fine automobile I bought one after a few months. The differences between the two are so great it's hard to believe they are the same type vehicle. My dashboard creaks, and rattles like crazy. Her's is perfect. My door sill fell off after 10 days. Her's is perfect. Mine gets 15-16 MPG. Her's gets 20-22. Mine vibrates so much at highway speeds it is uncomfortable to drive very far. (Goodyear Tires) Her's is perfect. (Bridgestone tires) Both Pilot's have thunks or thuds coming from the rear of the vehicle, even on relatively smooth roads. 3000 miles on one, 1000 miles on the second one. I have tried to locate the source of the noise but I cannot identify the source. If anyone has any thoughts where the rear noises are coming from or any suggestions on quieting the dashboard I will greatly appreciate the help. If I can't get my Pilot squared away pretty soon I'll be forced to buy a GM SUV! Thanks
Keep taking it back to Honda till they fix it! They have to... Don't even think about GM SUV.. I have one. Talk about rattles, squeaks, clunks and noises, about 10 times as bad. Just spent another $500 on the junker, scarer part is it is only a 1998.. Trust me, your Pilot is a dream compared to GM's claim "Like a Rock"

·
Registered
97 Posts
Vibration from Dash

I just discovered that the vibration I'm hearing from the dash, right around the glove box area, goes away when I open the glove box. Hopefully that will help the service guys at the dealer. I do still hear the rattle in the same area . . . right behind the glove box. The new seals did, however, make a great difference in reducing the squeaks or 'scrunches' from the doors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noise from the right rear of the vehicle

If your noise is like mine (like a seat back rattle under washboard conditions) it may be coming from your right rear shock. Honda says its a normal condition and all pilots have the noise. That's bunk!!! I've driven three other pilots and cannot hear the noise. The dealer has replaced my right rear shock twice; tightened all suspension parts; and replaced the middle right seat belt assembly - no effect. I've got rabbit ears now and can no longer enjoy the driving experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got what I'd consider a low roar/hum from the rear, almost like wind noise (but I've ruled that out)...only noticeable on smooth roads. Not unbearable but certainly something I want fixed -- anyone else have a similar issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've noticed that noise too, recently brough mine in to have them tighten up the doors, among other things. Sounded like I constantly had a window open, or a door ajar. The door tightening seemed to have remedied it a bit, but I also think I figured out some of the noise was coming from the rear HVAC blower, close enough to the driver to sound like a wind when it is blowing.

Speaking of air, my air vents do not stay in one place, they swivel freely back and forth, the dealer indicated that the should have round bushings instead of square. They have ordered a replacement which is back ordered, anyone else have free swiveling air vents?

·
Registered
140 Posts
pas1 said:
Both Pilot's have thunks or thuds coming from the rear of the vehicle, even on relatively smooth roads.
I am noticing "thud" sound too.. anybody knows why?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Re: Vibration from Dash

rbetz said:
I just discovered that the vibration I'm hearing from the dash, right around the glove box area, goes away when I open the glove box. Hopefully that will help the service guys at the dealer. I do still hear the rattle in the same area . . . right behind the glove box. The new seals did, however, make a great difference in reducing the squeaks or 'scrunches' from the doors.
My glove box was rattling too, I solved it by taking a 1 inch piece of black electrical tape and wrapping it around the metal hook that the glove box latches on. It hasnt rattled since.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Noises from the back

Sorry, I couldn't resist -- I will never know if I have any Pilot noises coming from the back. I have 10- and 8-year-old boys and 5- and 3-year-old girls back there. Feel free to borrow them if your noises become too distracting! :2::2: :2: :2: <--- (This is what it looks like back there.)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Noises from the back

gilberttribe said:
Sorry, I couldn't resist -- I will never know if I have any Pilot noises coming from the back. I have 10- and 8-year-old boys and 5- and 3-year-old girls back there. Feel free to borrow them if your noises become too distracting! :2::2: :2: :2: <--- (This is what it looks like back there.)
Having tinnitus solves the problem quite well too!!!!

:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was hearing a noise as well when I first got my Honda and they replaced the rear shock on the driver side. That noise went away. I am now dealing with a steering vibration over 70mph. I also noticed that as I would reverse out of my driveway I would hear a thump coming from the back. Well, one day I was reversing and slammed on my breaks and realized that the thump was caused by fuel sloshing around in the gas tank. It makes a thud sound as the fuel rocks back and forth. I also notice this noise sometimes in normal stop and go driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are hearing a rattle or clicking noise from the back of the pilot it might be what I experienced, the rear cargo cover, if you have one, might be making the noise when extended.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem

I know this thread has drifted a bit but I just wanted to put in that I am having the same problem with the ridiculously weak battery. Sometimes I have to jump the Pilot after unloading a bunch of groceries. I am going to be taking the Pilot in for an Oil change this week and I am going to piss and moan until a new battery gets put in. If I lived in Florida it would be one thing but when it is 15 degrees below zero it really sucks to have to jump your almost brand new vehicle all the time! :(

·
Registered
269 Posts
i got rid of my rattles by attaching the second row seatbelts on the buckle.

the third row, firmly attached in the rear pillars.....

sometimes, I get a rattle coming from the driver side visor but sounds like it comes from the passenger visor

·
Registered
33 Posts
The "thud" happens when I slow down or brake rather abruptly. It is the sound that the fuel makes when it hits the inside of the tank. Same problem with my 2002 Nisasan Altima.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Pilot_Light said:
The "thud" happens when I slow down or brake rather abruptly. It is the sound that the fuel makes when it hits the inside of the tank. Same problem with my 2002 Nisasan Altima.
Sounds EXACTLY what I have with my 2004 and what I suspected as well. Almost as if the gas causes a shift in the tank and the tank bumps up against the bottom of the chasis causing that "thump" sound. I will have to see if it happens more when full or empty.

Perhaps a spacer is needed between the tank and the undercarriage...

Pilot_Light let me know if you find anything out, I may take a ride over to my dealer.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
kd2pm said:
Sounds EXACTLY what I have with my 2004 and what I suspected as well. Almost as if the gas causes a shift in the tank and the tank bumps up against the bottom of the chasis causing that "thump" sound. I will have to see if it happens more when full or empty.

Perhaps a spacer is needed between the tank and the undercarriage...

Pilot_Light let me know if you find anything out, I may take a ride over to my dealer.
The gas tank thud is well-documented, and happens more when full. Just do a search and read all about it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts