Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
I've watched that dude before, I like him, he's a regular figure it out kind of shade tree guy. Now to investigate U-Joints. I think I will put the girl on my ramps and stands and get under and check them tonight.
My kinda guy. Avoided paying big bucks to Nissan.
Let us know what you find. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I will. I looked and a few folks have pulled the shaft and driven to eliminate it as a source of problems. Gonna try that as I understand the VTM system and see no harm in it, If it's fubared I will have time to find and order parts and redo the axle. I'll finally have an excuse to buy a press.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I went and jacked it all up and poked around, Axle seems tight but not 100% sure. I did find that 2 of the mounts for the gas tank cover are rotted off and it's flapping around. Got excited it might be the noise and stuffed a chunk of foam between it and the gas tank to stop it moving and went for a drive. It wasn't the culprit:mad::mad:. I need to jack back up and remove the shaft. If it is my diff would it make sense the noise is the worst coasting and decelerating and least on acceleration? IDK, It's driving me nuts, the car sounds like a pile of crap right now.

Registered
Found it, and I know why my mechanic said you have a noise in your diff. It was tge u joint connected to the diff and one joint is seized solid. The transfer case side is fine. The wet side is the seized one the other moves. I Sprayed pb blaster at it I dont really know qhy. So FWD for a bit till I sort the most cost effective remedy. Thank good winter is over. F***** salt brine highways.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
so I can get a brand new drive shaft off E-Bay from MTL free shipping for $411 almost tempted to just do that. U-Joints seem to have to come out of OZ for 60 ea shipped so that's 120 then the center bearing is another 100 and I still have to do all the work. Hmmm, I'll stew on it a bit. local junk yard has 9 09-15 pilots all have bad drive shafts. all have u-joints worn or siezed. Looks like the brine is killing them just like brakes. I just had to do my rears again from seized calipers and I had serviced them in the fall. looks like a monthly winter service will have to be done and I will spray or protect the U-joints if I can as well.

@plplplpl do you know these guys? Your neck of the woods.

Registered
Ugh, Mystery solved though.
I'd try the DIY fix if I knew for sure which u-joints would fit.

Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
I was think'n U joints all along. I'm often wrong though.
Let us know if there's any play in them, heh?
Oh, just read the rest of the posts. My think'n was correct.

Reactions: Nail Grease

Registered
I'd be out in the garage trying to hack those so called un-replacable u-joints in that thing. Lol
Always wanted to buy one of these.

Reactions: The Todd

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I can get a Press for about that price converted to CAD. the U-Joints are all X - Aus and about $70 shipped which is about $320 or I can buy this with replaceable U-Joints note the circlips on the flanges for $411 shipped. Damn I want the press for bike wheel bearings and other things but a brand new drive shaft for $411 CAD is had to pass up.

Registered
And as someone who has owned and put millions of KM's on Hondas his entire driving life I am very not impressed with this drive shaft. It is setup to just make it through warranty then fail and they sell you a whole new one for ridiculous money. Soichiro Honda is rolling over in his grave I bet. I have a 1979 GL1000 with over 350K KM 210K Miles that has been rock solid and been hit by a deer and the biggest job I've ever done is change a set of head gaskets. other than that it is oil, belts, tires and brakes. coolant change every so often and it just starts, runs and rides year after year. I've driven 3 civics until the salt destroys them but I could have swapped the drive train into another car and gone 100K'so of miles more. My parents had 2 First Gen Pilots that are still on the road. the Second gen isn't built as good and I feel bad for 3rd Gen owners. Man I am glad I can do my own work as if I had to pay a shop for all this s*** I'd be way more p***** LOL. Rant end.

Registered
I can get a Press for about that price converted to CAD. the U-Joints are all X - Aus and about $70 shipped which is about $320 or I can buy this with replaceable U-Joints note the circlips on the flanges for $411 shipped. Damn I want the press for bike wheel bearings and other things but a brand new drive shaft for $411 CAD is had to pass up.

Can you share the info you know about which u-joints will work? Normally u-joints themselves are not that expensive.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I will share but until I try installing all I got is the ebay AUS listing. That being said I have a buddy in oz I'm going to ask about this.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So since the AWD is not needed right now I am going to watch for a deal on a press and grab one, then I will ordered the U-Joint from OZ and try the swap. If un successful I'll order the aftermarket axle off E-Bay and swap that in by fall.

Registered
Just looking at www.car-part.com , it appears that a used axle from a 2015 will fit your 2011. Not sure where in Canada you are, but you might pick up a low km axle at a salvage yard. There is also some Canadian dealers on the site offering new with a 1 year warranty. Might save you some bucks if the u-joint replacement doesn't work out.
Not sure in Canada, but does any of your parts stores have a tool loaner/rental program? I used this kit for free to do my u-joints on my old F150. They charge my card for the tool, keep it/use for 48 hours and return for a refund.

Reactions: Maritime

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just looking at www.car-part.com , it appears that a used axle from a 2015 will fit your 2011. Not sure where in Canada you are, but you might pick up a low km axle at a salvage yard. There is also some Canadian dealers on the site offering new with a 1 year warranty. Might save you some bucks if the u-joint replacement doesn't work out.
Not sure in Canada, but does any of your parts stores have a tool loaner/rental program? I used this kit for free to do my u-joints on my old F150. They charge my card for the tool, keep it/use for 48 hours and return for a refund.
View attachment 147102
Thanks, Canadian tire used to, I'll have to check. Not sure that will have the OOOmph needed to break the stakes though. I called all the closest wreckers and they have lots of 2009-2015 Pilots but not one good drive shaft, they are all bad at the same U-Joint from the rust/seizing. I need to go further out to less salt belt ones and see. But then shipping adds to the costs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
OK just as an observation. We went to the in-laws for easter 2.5 hr drive normally, trip down in FWD with LTX tires was fine. Mother nature decided to throw a snow storm at us on Sunday. Driving home in 4-6" of snow in FWD with the LTX was not fun. It took 4 hours with many a but pucker moment when the truck would break traction in the heavy wet snow and slide. Only time the VTM-4 light came on was to get up the drive I had to shut off VSA and spin the bejeesus out of the tires to make it up so it blinked a few times as it obviously couldn't work. Moral of the story. I am so glad I have the 4wd Pilot vs the FWD and I would never try and run it in winter without good winter tires! I'll be ordering the drive shaft later this month and installing before camping season.

Registered
OK just as an observation. We went to the in-laws for easter 2.5 hr drive normally, trip down in FWD with LTX tires was fine. Mother nature decided to throw a snow storm at us on Sunday. Driving home in 4-6" of snow in FWD with the LTX was not fun. It took 4 hours with many a but pucker moment when the truck would break traction in the heavy wet snow and slide. Only time the VTM-4 light came on was to get up the drive I had to shut off VSA and spin the bejeesus out of the tires to make it up so it blinked a few times as it obviously couldn't work. Moral of the story. I am so glad I have the 4wd Pilot vs the FWD and I would never try and run it in winter without good winter tires! I'll be ordering the drive shaft later this month and installing before camping season.
Oh man! Glad you made it back.
How's the right ear? 馃槄

Reactions: Maritime
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.