Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing a noise underneath the glovebox. I figured it was something to do with the AC, so I turned it off and still heard the noise. I removed the cover on the bottom left and there is a small motor with a rod coming out of it. There is a green plug attached to it. I unplugged it and the noise stopped. I put my hand on the metal rod and it is going back and forth very quickly. That is what is making the noise. Any ideas of what this part is called and if replacement will fix it. My thoughts are that it is the motor that opens and closes the fresh air vent. Any ideas or suggestions?? I have a 2006 Pilot

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fix

I had the same problem, it is as far as i can tell a blend door actuator of some type. But the sound finally drove me to madness, here is how to fix it.

1. unplug that green connector, and remove the 3? screws holding the motor to the air box and slide off shaft.

2. Remove the screws that hold the clam shell style box together. and carefully pry the little black lock connectors all the way around the box one by one as your prying the box apart.

3. Once the shell is removed do yourself a favor and take a pic of the gear configurations with your phone/camera. then remove the gears until you can see and access what looks like a small copper fork with alot of tines sitting on what looks like a little racetrack. This is the position sensor and that black grease is supposed to be clear. Over the years the "fork" rubs the "racetrack" so much it mixes that carbon in with the grease and it becomes conductive. position sensors hate that. Clean it off and re-lubricate with a non-conductive grease of some sort.

4. Now grab your phone/camera and put it back together and reinstall.

5. Drink a beer and celebrate how manly you are.:29:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can you describe the noise a little, I might be having the same issue? I thought it was the AC too. Hard to describe, kind of like a metallic tinkling if that makes sense. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is called a blend motor, it combines the two temperatures of air to create the correct temperature in the cabin. But honestly, follow the directions above and save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fix

I had the same problem, it is as far as i can tell a blend door actuator of some type. But the sound finally drove me to madness, here is how to fix it.

1. unplug that green connector, and remove the 3? screws holding the motor to the air box and slide off shaft.

2. Remove the screws that hold the clam shell style box together. and carefully pry the little black lock connectors all the way around the box one by one as your prying the box apart.

3. Once the shell is removed do yourself a favor and take a pic of the gear configurations with your phone/camera. then remove the gears until you can see and access what looks like a small copper fork with alot of tines sitting on what looks like a little racetrack. This is the position sensor and that black grease is supposed to be clear. Over the years the "fork" rubs the "racetrack" so much it mixes that carbon in with the grease and it becomes conductive. position sensors hate that. Clean it off and re-lubricate with a non-conductive grease of some sort.

4. Now grab your phone/camera and put it back together and reinstall.

5. Drink a beer and celebrate how manly you are.:29:
This is exactly the problem I had. The solution cost exactly $0, but quite a bit of work.

The problem was the dirty contacts exactly as you described.You only need to clean the contacts and replace the Air Mix motor. The cost of a new one is well over $100.

To help others solve this problem you must remove the glove box and the horizontal metal bar supporting the glove box. This is the same thing necessary to replace the cabin air filter.

The Air Mix Motor, as it is called, is in a very awkward location on the bottom of the lower left side of the cabin filter housing. The green connector plug is the clue. Remove the green plug from the Air Mix Motor box. Then remove the three screws holding it in place. Access to removing the three screws is really awkward. I had to lie on my back on the passenger side floor with my feet sticking out of the car and resting on the door frame. Use a 7 mm socket to remove the self tapping screws. Then you need to remove the wire arm from the control linkage. It is held in place by a clip which takes a fair amount force with your fingers to remove. Once it is free of the clip the rod easily is removed from the hole. Then the Air Mix Motor is completely free. Take a good look at where the wire arm was located before you removed it. You will need to find that when you reinstall the wire control arm.

Pry off the white plastic control arm from the top of the box. There is a tiny clip holding it in place. Use a screw driver to push the clip open. Before you remove the plastic arm note the position of it relative to the box. When you reinstall the box the white control arm needs to be pointing approximately correctly so the post on the white control arm can be inserted into the thing that allows the Air Mix door to open and close. As long as the position is close to correct when everything is reinstalled the motor will instantly find its correct position once the AC is turned on.

Open the box carefully by prying the plastic clips on the four sides of the Air Mix Motor box. The clips are very easy to break, so be very gentle. Clean the "tines" to remove the black junk, which is the problem. After cleaning I used a tiny amount of light bulb grease, which is non-conducting grease, to lubricate the surface the tines touch. Then put it back together.

If you removed the actual motor replace it so the model number markings are on top. Otherwise it runs backwards. Also note that with the motor removed the gears move very easily. And, the motor will move very easily. But, when everything is in place the system gears will not move. That is important because you want the post where the white control arm is attached to pointed in the right direction when you install the Air Mix motor back into the car. Make sure the post is oriented in the same direction as when you removed the whole Air Mix box, as I mentioned above. You will not be able to rotate the white control arm into place when the box is closed up.

From there you will reinstall the box by connecting the control wire by sliding it into the hole and rotating the clip to hold it into place. This will be obvious since you just removed the wire control arm from the same spot. Then you need to put the metal post on the white control arm back into its slot on the air mix door. From there you rotate the air mix box so it lines up with the screw holes and install the screws. Plug in the green electrical connector and turn on the car and then the AC.

I did not have the white plastic arm rotated to the correct location on my first attempt. I had to reopen the box and rotate as mentioned above and then reinstall. When I first turned on the AC I heard a slight pop or noise that lasted a fraction of a second. I believe that was the air mix motor aligning itself to its correct position. After that there was no noise.

Now for the first time in a year my heating and cooling system works correctly and there is no noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts