Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to re-post this as its own thread.

There seems to be some confusion here as to different noises coming from the Pilot.

On mine I had six main annoying noises.

1. Clicking from the driver's side dash. Turned out it was NOT the popular strut noise but wires hitting each other inside the dash. Was fixed.

2. Large spring sound from the rear going over bumps. Fixed by tightening the suspension and replacing some stabiliser and suspension parts. Car now feels much tighter - don't know if that is good or bad but the noise is gone.

3. Noise from the rear when turning. Fixed by replacing/cleaning some break shoe parts (?). Could have been related to #2.

4. Windows scrunch from passenger side front and rear. Still very annoying. Goes away if I roll the windows down slightly. Hope they come up with something. Almost sounds like a rattling sometimes when it gets bad.

5. Loose drivers side window clicks (when 1/4 the way open) going over bumps. Not fixed.

6. Tight rattling sound/vibration from passenger rear wheel well or rear door or somewhere under the car. Never sounds like it is coming from console, as Bill experiences. Quite noticeable going over stretch of bumpy road if someone else drives and I sit in the back. At first I thought it was noise from the tires. Still not sure what it is. Not fixed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nice summary, Ablat

You might want to consider adding this list to the knowledge base. Good work.

·
Registered
288 Posts
NOISE,NOISE,NOISE.

Talking about noises,I remember the noise that had vibrating sound from passenger's side everytime I drove on rough road or over bumps.It took me a while to figure it out.The noise was from a pair of sunglasses in the glass holder overhead.Sometimes,something real simple but it does anoy.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The only noises I hear are the window scrunch and some type of rattling noise from under the car. It's very noticable when I am driving with the window down in an enclosed area such as a parking ramp. I have crawled under the car a few times to see if anything is loose...can't find anything. I also hear a type of "ting" going over bumps...However, my car does not fall under the "weld" related TSB. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yesterday I suddenly started to hear a very loud TAP-TAP-TAPPING on the driver side body, that got faster at speed. I kept trying to look to see if i had run over a twig that had gotten stuck or something. Saw nothing. I was mentally composing my thread to honda-pilot.org when we arrived at my son's middle school. He got out and looked, and I had run over a piece of duct tape, which was FLAP-FLAP-FLAPPING against the body, I suppose, as the wheel rotated, obviously getting faster as I drover faster. Oh well, simple fix!!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
HERE IS ANOTHER NOISE MAKER

I've noticed that everytime I have the left rear window down,there is a noise right behind me somewhere at the third seat row.The noise was like fast FLAP! FLAP! FLAP!.....FLAP FLAP..Guess what causes it?Yesterday when it was making that noise,I look real careful and I found out that the white warnning or safty tag that's attached to the child safty seatbelt above the headrest of the 2nd row(driver's side)was making that noise as the wind flows in the car through that window,all I did was tearing it off.Hope this will help someones that been hearing this noise but not yet figure it out.

·
Registered
900 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thump, Thump

I hear a thump, thump every time I go over railroad tracks. After reading about all of the noise complaints, I started listening very carefully.

Anyone else have this thump, thump noise?

I plan to call Honda Customer Service about it tomorrow.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Update on field engineer visit - noises

Ablatt - I would be interested in learning exactly what suspension parts were replaced on the right rear of your Pilot. My Pilot has the same noise you describe and as I have listed in other threads. I mentioned in my notes to the field engineer that I felt it was related to a loose fit relating to the drive axil connection to the differential. Nothing was done and the report filed by the engineer said all was normal. They are trying to say that there is a noise, but it is normal for this vehicle. I cannot accept this. The roaring sound from the driver's side front has been effectively eliminated. The hub assembly was not "true" in its rotation and out of spec. The yoke, hub, bearing, driveshaft and disk were all replaced. A contributor to this noise was an imbalance created by using stick on weights to keep from having visible weights on the outside. This was my fault and caused much misery. Door squinch and brake booster squish are all ... NORMAL!!!!! according to the engineer's report. If you can let me know what parts were replaced on yours, I will buy them and install them myself if necessary to eliminate the noise. My Pilot is close to "for sale" - A real nice Silver EXL with NAV. (7500 miles) with verything normal according to Honda. Fixing this rattle would make me happy. Thanks BPILOT

·
Registered
290 Posts
Over 5000 miles and I still have none of these "noises". And boy does that make me happy. For those that have them, my deepest sympathy.

·
Registered
900 Posts
r_hammel said:
Over 5000 miles and I still have none of these "noises". And boy does that make me happy. For those that have them, my deepest sympathy.
My sentiments exactly. Well, only about 250 miles. Almost exactly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sqeekeee Pilot

Mine is number 3478. It appears that your higher numbers are less affected. It would be interesting to know the "haves and have nots" related to noises and VIN #"S. BP

·
Registered
289 Posts
BPilot

you can see my vin in the signature. Sandy was built about 8/18 and I have NONE of the issues raised in this forum with ticks, squeeks, rattles, loose 3rd row seat belts falling from the roof. I don't have the saggy seat yet; but expect I will with the passage of time. I do think Honda is fixing some of the problems on the assembly line as they become known. Maybe this is Honda's way of rewarding those of us that had months and months of delivery anxiety.:cool: That's not to say that some of the problems couldn't develop later. Hope not.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am lucky or have bad ears. No scrunch. No squeak. No pedal woosh. No odd noises. None yet anyway. I noticed that MGPilot has a vin fairly close to mine and has a few noises. Can we really deduct anything from the vin number? Maybe a survey is in order. By the way, MGPilot, I saw somewhere that the cover on the catalytic converter often makes noises in hondas/acuras. My Acura is doing it right now. Could that be your noise?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
ablatt said:
Decided to re-post this as its own thread.

2. Large spring sound from the rear going over bumps. Fixed by tightening the suspension and replacing some stabiliser and suspension parts. Car now feels much tighter - don't know if that is good or bad but the noise is gone.
Does anyone know if this is good or not, the car feeling tighter? I have this noise as well and I'd like to eliminate it.

Does tighter suspension = rougher ride? Does it shorten the life of the shocks or the suspension at all? Any thoughtson this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Suspension is a balancing act between handling and ride comfort. Just think of a Lincoln Town Car and a Dodge Viper. The Lincoln cruises like your riding on butter, but it turns like...well, like your riding on butter. The Dodge Viper corners very well because of it's stiff suspension, but you feel every pebble in the road. A friend of mine has a Viper and he bought something else for his daily driver because the Viper beats him up after any length of time behind the wheel.

In the context of this issue, I would read this as the suspension was too loose (broken) and he is just now getting to feel what the suspension should feel like. If the suspension was so loose that it was rattling and making noises, I would imagine that locking everything down the way it should be would make it feel tighter.

Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The last 5 digits of my VIN are 00243.

The other day I loaded up the Pilot with a bunch of kids and sure enough the loud springy noise going over speed bumps was very noticeable. So it appears the tightening only changed things with a lighter load.

Here's the text from my invoice.

Noise on rear turning sharp right. Removed both Rear brake & lube shoes & pad & adjust then road test noise still then tight rear suspension on both sides and lube stabilizer link & bushing then road test the suspension noise is gone.

Chk and report on squeak from rear when driving over bumps
1 52610-S9V-A01 F RR Shock ABS
1 52320-S3V-003 Link Comp, Stabir
1 52325-S3V-003 Link Comp, Stabir

Noise on RIght Rear Replace right rear damper & replace both rear stabi link

So quite frankly I have no idea what they did. I still have a rattling noise from the right rear when going over bumps, and the load squeak going over speed bumps (not as often as before) but the noise turning right is gone.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for the info Ablatt

It looks like you and I have early builds. The noise in the right rear is driving me nuts. I cannot comprehend a field engineer with hearing, saying this is NORMAL! The stablizer items they replaced are easy to get to and a start. I have also had the right rear shock replaced to no avail. I still believe the problem is in the drive axil fit into the differential. This weekend I will try to make something that will rub against it to limit its travel to test the theory. Years back, I borrowed my doctors stethascope (SP?) to find a rattle in my 69 SS 396. A one-half inch nut had been left in a sealed body panel. I had to cut it out. I am determined to find this one. Seems like later numbers are having less problems. Fact, fiction, or wishful thinking? Thanks for everyone's contributions to this site. BP

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BPilot, please re-describe the noise form the rear right.

In my car it sounds like a rattle - almost like tire noise. I only really hear it going over bumps. If I sit in the rear with somebody else driving I can hear it very plainly.

I thought maybe it was the heat shield for the tailpipe but it sounds like it is coming from within the rear door or panel over the rear right wheel well.

The other sound I have is the windows/door scrunch from the front passenger door. It sounds like something rubbing - at first I thougt it was the seatbelt rubbing against the seat. But I can make it go away by lowering the window slightly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ablatt - I am looking for deal on earplugs

Seems like we share the same noises. On your doors, each one has two small black stops on the inside that make contact with the door frame when you shut the door. Many don't know that they are adjustible and screw out to tighten the door to some degree. I have helped my scrunch by screwing the bottom one out significantly. It seems to force the top of the door frame more inward and makes it a little tighter and seems to help the noise. I also had / have a poping sound in my passenger door panel that this adjustment seemed to help. NOW for the noise that really gets to me (and it is NORMAL according to Honda). My mother-in-law, sitting in the middle passenger side sear clearly hears this. Remember, the field engineer .. never mind. This noise is best defined as a rattle that occurs over small to moderate road irregularities at speeds of between 15 and 40 MPH. I am sure it occurrs at higher speeds, but road noise takes over. The noise is similar to the sound you hear when you run over a manhole cover. There is no doubt it is coming from the right rear wheel area and is suspension related. I can clearly hear it from the driver's seat, but the exact location is hard to determine. When in the middle seat, it is clearly coming from the wheel area. Heavy loads seem to reduce the effect. I still think it is related to the drive shaft loose fit into the differential. I need help on this. Believe me, this is not a loose jack, spare tire or the such. I have been in, out, under, on top of, and inside anything my hand or finger would fit in. I will send the address of the mental institution I will be required to go to if this continues. BP

1 - 20 of 54 Posts