Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a noise coming from the passenger rear of our '06 pilot recently. You could hear it at slow speeds and it seemed loudest at 25mph or so. I just jacked it up to see what I could find. The passenger side parking brake was too tight and rubbing. I loosened it, gave it a test drive and the noise was gone. There's been no work done on this pilot recently. Trying to figure out how this manually adjusted parking brake just randomly got tight enough to start rubbing. Has anyone had this happen before?

Maybe something happened with the cable? I'll give that a look the next time I'm under the pilot.

Keith

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Do you use your parking brake regularly? Use it or lose it. Or rather, after a certain age, lube it, use it, or lose it. :)

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
238 Posts
I noticed a noise coming from the passenger rear of our '06 pilot recently. You could hear it at slow speeds and it seemed loudest at 25mph or so. I just jacked it up to see what I could find. The passenger side parking brake was too tight and rubbing. I loosened it, gave it a test drive and the noise was gone. There's been no work done on this pilot recently. Trying to figure out how this manually adjusted parking brake just randomly got tight enough to start rubbing. Has anyone had this happen before?

Maybe something happened with the cable? I'll give that a look the next time I'm under the pilot.

Keith
I’m pretty sure the star key that you turn to adjust the parking brake manually is also turned when you hit your brakes in reverse (which is how it self-adjusts). Maybe it turned itself a little too far the last time you were in reverse and it started rubbing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you use your parking brake regularly? Use it or lose it. Or rather, after a certain age, lube it, use it, or lose it. :)
I always engage the parking brake when exiting the vehicle, unless I'm doing something like working on the rear brakes. The parking brake has always worked fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m pretty sure the star key that you turn to adjust the parking brake manually is also turned when you hit your brakes in reverse (which is how it self-adjusts). Maybe it turned itself a little too far the last time you were in reverse and it started rubbing.
There's nothing in the owners manual or service manual about automatically adjusting parking brakes. The service manual provides procedures for minor adjustments (tightening the nut at the parking brake pedal) and major adjustments (turning the adjuster nut between the parking brake shoes you mentioned)

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Just to rule it out, are you sure it's not the dust shield rubbing back there? That's usually a more common problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to rule it out, are you sure it's not the dust shield rubbing back there? That's usually a more common problem.
Yea, I checked the dust shield for rubbing before removing the disc/drum. By the time I was removing it, I was expecting to find a cracked shoe or something like that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Keith
Quick follow-up. I was under it to change the vtm-4 fluid yesterday and inspected the parking brake cables. While they are sort of exposed and hanging lower than everything around them, there was no signs they had been disturbed. So that wasn't it.

Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts