Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Noise from interior temperature control

5K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  uncle914 
#1 ·
I remember reading here about an electrically controlled door/flap that I believe controls heat/AC mix in cabin. Does anyone know what it's called and where it's located? I have a strange noise coming from under dash and I seem to be able to somewhat control it by turn the temp knob back and forth.

#4 ·
Thanks Nail Grease! Is it possible I only have one? I do not have dual temp controls. I watched 3 youtube videos after you gave me the name of the part and the EZauto video probably is the closest to my application. Looks like an easy enough fix.

#6 ·
Having same issue, about to attempt a fix on mine too. Good youtube (Honda Pilot dashboard clicking) about taking it out and cleaning it rather than replacing. Get the impression that the contacts get dirty and it keeps trying to make adjustments which is what make the noise unless it's on full cold or full hot. Anything in-between I get the nuisance noises. I do have a question about removing the console panels. Got the lower front right one off (pull straight out by hand), removed the 3 screws on the next one back but it still doesn't seem to want to come off. Is that another one that's just held on by clips, just need to get a little more forceful with it now?

#8 ·
Hope you're right, just did a quick glance but didn't notice the part in question. Will check again next time I'm at the Pilot. One of the videos I had watched showed the side panels having been removed so I just made the assumption without doing a detailed inspection. Murphy always likes to break my clips whenever I start removing pieces that rely on them!

#9 ·

I didn't remove anything. Just pointed phone up. I can feel it vibrating inside and making the noise while the car is running. No temperature controls even on. To me it sounds kinda like a cassette tape turning. Should be an easy fix I would think.

#10 ·
Just finished reinstalling the air mixer unit after following the instructions from EZ Auto. No more noise! Yaaah! Probably could have done it without removing the forward most side panel but removing that piece was very easy and it gave me a lot more working room. The trim piece had 6 spring clips and a small molded clip near the very top. Just flex the top front edge to free the molded clip then pull the rest of the panel straight away from the center console. However, now I have a different question. There is a small metal pin that sticks up on the end of the air mixers white arm. This fits into, and slides back and forth inside a boomerang shaped slot on another white piece above it. What I've noticed is that even when set to HI there is still about 1/2" or more of the slot still showing on the air mixer side of that upper white piece? It's almost as if mixer arm won't move past the bend in the boomerang slot? I reassembled everything exactly as the video showed so that can't be the problem. When set to HI it blows hot air like it always has, but should the air mixer arm be making it all the way to the other end of the slot? I've lubricated the slot but that didn't seem to make any difference. If anyone can take a look up there and let me know if theirs still has part of that slot showing (on the air mixer side), I'd appreciate know if that's normal?

#11 ·
Perhaps these instructions and diagrams from the Service Manual can help out.

Of course, as usual it says reinstall in reverse order, but still. :)

Attachments

#13 ·
Appreciate the info but nothing there to answer the question about whether the mixers pin should travel the entire length of the slot it fits into? Since it's still providing good heat (without any noise now) not a rush issue. Played around with it this morning and noticed some other oddities other than the slot issue. Watching the mixer arm it did not always move as you changed the temperature. Changing slowly by degree, from 86-80, 72-70, 67-71, 73-78, the arm did not move. Repeated going through the temperature range a couple of times and it still had gaps of inactivity though not necessary the same temperatures. You'd think you'd see it move a tiny bit with each setting change? Regardless, it's not making those annoying clicking sounds when sitting quietly without the fan covering up the clicking. I think the best thing to do is find another Pilot and observe theirs to see if it does the same thing with regards to the temp change and travel in the slot. Thanks for you input.

#16 ·
On the one hand, there's the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

On the other hand, here's a pretty good descriptive thread with lots of pics courtesy of our cousins over the Acura MDX forum:

#14 ·
Soooo, let me tell you what NOT to do. DO NOT forget to put index marks on shaft and gear when you take it apart. I just did took mine out, cleaned and relubricated, all happy with myself and aww F#%k, I forgot to put sharpie marks on. So white arm is in the wrong place and wire arm does not return to correct location. So my choices are take apart and put back together 100 times to get the arm in the right spot, find one that is and match it up or buy a new one. Probably is going to be the latter. 😩

#17 ·
Epilogue: I was a dumb ass and did not index the gear with a sharpie so when I went to put it back together the plastic arm was not in the correct orientation so therefore the metal rod was also out. I ended up getting a chinese replacement on Ebay for $21 bucks as opposed to an OEM from dealer who wanted $400 plus for same part. It works great so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.