Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Honda pilot with 180k miles, I hear a whirring kinda sounds like a fan or belt at 40-55mph, goes away above 60mph, sounds like it's coming from passenger side of engine, it still does it when I shift to neutral as well as when the gas is pressed and when I let off the gas, I replaced seprentine belt but I still hear the noise. I don't here the noise when I am in park and rev the engine. Replaced alternator at 160k, any ideas what it could be, jacked the car up to test the wheel bearings and they seem ok as well thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's possible the tensioner is blown out. This would make the timing belt flap loose (resonate) at various speeds. This is what happened to my 2008 at 207K miles - and that was after the timing belt and water pump replace at 180K. If it is this, it needs to be fixed pretty fast - a skipped notch on the belt could do lots of damage.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 226k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 145k
126 Posts
When was your timing belt last changed?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Has the serpentine belt tensioner been replaced or is it the original? I'd simply spin the pulley to see if the bearings in it sound dry. If you can wiggle it side to side, I'd replace it.

A water pump can whir. I'd check the coolant level. Was the pump replaced when the timing belt was done?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The serpentine belt tensioner was just replaced with the serpentine belt and yes the water pump was replaced when the timing belt was replaced at 98k

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
The serpentine belt tensioner was just replaced with the serpentine belt and yes the water pump was replaced when the timing belt was replaced at 98k
Very good.
I'd check the coolant level and coolant strength. If less than 50/50 coolant (mostly water), the water pump can cavitate causing whirring.

Are the CV axle boots crack free, with no loss of grease?

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 7 of 7 Posts