Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a 2008 Pilot AWD today and was surprised to find no boost from VTEC
In my 2006 if I floor it, then the RPMs gradually reach 4200 and immediately I hear the sound of VTEC engaging and RPMs jump further up with the corresponding kick of acceleration. In that 2008; however, the RPMs keep climbing above 4200 at the same rate as below and there is no kick. Should there be a flashing CEL light when this happens? I drove about 5 miles, maybe that is not enough? I did not bother checking if the codes have been cleared recently as the car had many other issues.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Every once in a while on a stretch of open highway I'll test if VTEC kicks in yo :), and it does. But it's a 2006 and I do it once the vehicle is good and warmed up. I don't know if that makes a difference. It does make a difference, though, if I release the gas pedal before flooring it.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tried all kinds of tricks with the pedal and it would not VTEC. Was warmed up alright: the dealer showed the car to another (non)buyer before me.
And I underestimated the route length. It was rather 10 miles, so it warmed up to operating temperature while I was still in the city.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts