Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is my question: My 03 Pilot has 238,000 miles on it and, to my knowledge, the valves have never been adjusted. Should I leave well enough alone or should I have the valves adjusted. I understand from the various YouTube videos I have seen that this is sort of a big deal, requiring the removal of everything on top of the engine. So, should I get it done or leave well enough alone? Thanks for your suggestions and comments....

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
How's your gas mileage? Did you ever check compression?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gas mileage is around 10 or 12 but I live in Guatemala so am unsure of the quality of the gasoline here. The compression was pretty even.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Removing the stuff isn't really the big deal. It's hovering over the valves trying measure with the feelers and loosening and tightening that is the PIA. My '04 has 199,000 and I just had the valve covers off to do the gaskets and I left the valves alone. It's still getting pretty good gas mileage right at 17mpg.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removing the stuff isn't really the big deal. It's hovering over the valves trying measure with the feelers and loosening and tightening that is the PIA. My '04 has 199,000 and I just had the valve covers off to do the gaskets and I left the valves alone. It's still getting pretty good gas mileage right at 17mpg.
I have never seen that kind of mileage, even back in the US when I was, presumably, burning decent gas. -

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just my judgment, but if you're a decent mechanic and familiar with the general process of valve adjustment (e.g., have done a motorcycle or two in your youth), then I'd do them. Or if you have a good mechanic you trust, same. But otherwise, I'd just continue to run the vehicle and hope for the best as the odds are that you'd do more harm than good.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
In the hot Guatemala it should be at least 15. I would bite the bullet and do the adjustment provided that all other maintenance items such as TB, plugs, coils, air filter, intake air duct etc are fine.
No misfires, I assume? Have you ever cleaned the EGR trenches in the intake cover?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the good thing about Guatemala is that labor is ridiculously cheap. When I returned from a recent trip to the US I had my suitcase stuffed with suspension bushings. Now the car is so nice I may keep it till 300K and beyond. I have a good mechanic and I will probably get him to do the valves. EGR trenches? Never heard of 'em but I will look them up. EGR valves, for sure.

·
Registered
190 Posts

I would adjust the valves, they are probably tight, they were tight on my pilot with 235k.

I wouldn't replace the EGR, but I would take it off (2 bolts) and clean it. You will get a check engine light if the EGR isn't lifting/opening correctly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thanks. I never knew about that particular source of bad running. Tell me, when you put that cover back on, is it supposed to have a new gasket,? Anyway. thanks again.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Any truth to the theory that a higher percentage of corn juice, AKA ethanol, in your gas contributes to increased fowling of EGR ports?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Yes, you have to put a new gasket on as it its metal is coated with rubber and once that rubber peels off you have a vacuum and oil leak.

Reactions: Winterspilot1

·
Registered
190 Posts
Took mine off 3 times and it’s perfectly fine. If it doesn’t look damaged you’re fine. Just don’t put it back on upside down. If it runs differently you’ll know where the source is and can replace at that time.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
And I took mine off once, rubber was peeling, and I had a leak even after proper torquing of the bolts. New gasket solved id. YMMV.

Reactions: Winterspilot1
1 - 15 of 15 Posts