Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

No start no sound

10K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  plplplpl 
#1 ·
2004 exl 175000. Not starting. No clicks. Battery registers 12.64. Tightened connections. No obvious cables disconnected. Tried to beat starter but tough to reach. Maybe got in a few decent wacks with a crow bar. Suggestions for next thing to try welcome. Tia. Happy Thanksgiving!

#2 ·
Did anything happen before this issue started? You can always pull the starter and test it for free at AutoZone or somewhere like that.

Reactions: 97trophy
#5 ·
Why not the more reliable and cost effective RockAuto.com? They have more genuine quality parts and very good prices in my experiences over the years. Sometimes shipping takes a little longer but not by much and the wait is worth it imo.

#6 ·
#10 ·
My guess is the transmission range switch is on its way out.

#11 ·
Before you throw away the OEM starter, measure with a multimeter if the solenoid gets +12 V.
And if it does but no click, then go to Rock Auto, not Amazon. Just my 2c.
But if you are not reading 12 V on the solenoid, then replacing the starter is the waste of time and $$. Even the FSM starts by suggesting that you jump the solenoid from the battery when troubleshooting the starter.

#12 ·
Ok before tossing away a good starter ..what trouble shooting steps have been performed to isolate the starter...
there is a transmission range switch (also known as neutral safety switch) does exactly that issue ..it has been the issue on mine and probably others ...

Piloteers should start charging for threads like these

#13 ·
And to add what Can mentioned, in order for the starter’s solenoid to click the starter relay must be energized. If you don’t hear the starter relay click, then it points to either a bad relay or a bad transmission range switch. Having P and D lit is the key piece of evidence here. That points towards tranny range switch.

#16 ·
Easiest way is to upload your video to YouTube, then post the link here.

Unlike a lot of good forums, this one does not provide for uploading videos. If (or when) heaven forbid one day YouTube decides to go the Photobucket route and hold your videos hostage, this forum will be in a similar disastrous pickle. Admins, please take heed.

#17 ·
#19 ·
When my starter went out at about 215,000 miles.....It just quit.....That moment.....That day.....No prior warning signs.....

It would not turn over at all.....It did click.....Even with a jump (Just to make sure that my battery power was high enough).....

I towed it home.....Replaced the starter.....And went on my way.....

If you have verified that you have battery power to going the starter.....And it won't turn over.....Remove the starter.....Test the starter.....Then replace the starter.....

#21 ·
While already driving? Doubt it. But then how would you know it the starter went out after you started it and were driving?