Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 exl 175000. Not starting. No clicks. Battery registers 12.64. Tightened connections. No obvious cables disconnected. Tried to beat starter but tough to reach. Maybe got in a few decent wacks with a crow bar. Suggestions for next thing to try welcome. Tia. Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did anything happen before this issue started? You can always pull the starter and test it for free at AutoZone or somewhere like that.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
407 Posts
If that's the original starter. then I say go for a new starter. Amazon has some cheap ones which I have used and work fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Headlights, etc still shine bright?

Your sure it's in park? Try putting in drive, etc, then back into park again & try and start. There's a switch that prevents starting in drive, that may be an issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If that's the original starter. then I say go for a new starter. Amazon has some cheap ones which I have used and work fine.
Why not the more reliable and cost effective RockAuto.com? They have more genuine quality parts and very good prices in my experiences over the years. Sometimes shipping takes a little longer but not by much and the wait is worth it imo.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Why not the more reliable and cost effective RockAuto.com? They have more genuine quality parts and very good prices in my experiences over the years. Sometimes shipping takes a little longer but not by much and the wait is worth it imo.
I like the reviews at Amazon, however, some of their suppliers are questionable.

Yes, RockAuto are very good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did anything happen before this issue started? You can always pull the starter and test it for free at AutoZone or somewhere like that.
Replaced my gas cap. Filled the tank. Then drive over rough ground to park. Turned off the engine. I attempted to restart it a couple minutes later and no go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Headlights, etc still shine bright?

Your sure it's in park? Try putting in drive, etc, then back into park again & try and start. There's a switch that prevents starting in drive, that may be an issue.
Headlights still bright. I tried putting in drive, starting in neutral. I did notice that when I turn the key go start, the P and D are lit. Then just the P.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,820 Posts
My guess is the transmission range switch is on its way out.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Before you throw away the OEM starter, measure with a multimeter if the solenoid gets +12 V.
And if it does but no click, then go to Rock Auto, not Amazon. Just my 2c.
But if you are not reading 12 V on the solenoid, then replacing the starter is the waste of time and $$. Even the FSM starts by suggesting that you jump the solenoid from the battery when troubleshooting the starter.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Ok before tossing away a good starter ..what trouble shooting steps have been performed to isolate the starter...
there is a transmission range switch (also known as neutral safety switch) does exactly that issue ..it has been the issue on mine and probably others ...

Piloteers should start charging for threads like these

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,820 Posts
And to add what Can mentioned, in order for the starter’s solenoid to click the starter relay must be energized. If you don’t hear the starter relay click, then it points to either a bad relay or a bad transmission range switch. Having P and D lit is the key piece of evidence here. That points towards tranny range switch.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
And to add what Can mentioned, in order for the starter’s solenoid to click the starter relay must be energized. If you don’t hear the starter relay click, then it points to either a bad relay or a bad transmission range switch. Having P and D lit is the key piece of evidence here. That points towards tranny range switch.
exactly

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a video but can't figure out of to upload. Here's photo of the P and D lit up during ignition sequence.

OTE]

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
Easiest way is to upload your video to YouTube, then post the link here.

Unlike a lot of good forums, this one does not provide for uploading videos. If (or when) heaven forbid one day YouTube decides to go the Photobucket route and hold your videos hostage, this forum will be in a similar disastrous pickle. Admins, please take heed.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
When my starter went out at about 215,000 miles.....It just quit.....That moment.....That day.....No prior warning signs.....

It would not turn over at all.....It did click.....Even with a jump (Just to make sure that my battery power was high enough).....

I towed it home.....Replaced the starter.....And went on my way.....

If you have verified that you have battery power to going the starter.....And it won't turn over.....Remove the starter.....Test the starter.....Then replace the starter.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts