Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Longtime lurker here needling some advice. On a 2011 2wd w/ 200k, pulled into the garage the other day as normal and when trying to restart to leave, nothing. Head Lights go on, dash lights up and possibly 1 click. No engine crank. The green key icon on the dash lights up but then goes out which it sounds like from further reading is functioning as it's supposed to but the odd thing is I don't recall ever seeing that green key light previously and the wife confirms this is new to her as well.

With an dinky analog meter, battery shows at slightly higher than 12v but hard to tell exactly. Old school tells me starter which I changed. Not fun at all but done. No help! And yes, that was very foolish on my part without confirming this was this the actual problem.

Other posts seem to say it's a key programming issue or perhaps a reciever unit issue, but yet the grn key light goes out, but regardless all seem to say get it towed to the dealer.

I'm checking the relays now but other posts mentioned these rarely fail. Am I missing something? Is there something inline between the battery and starter that can be easily checked? Some type of starter relay or switch I'm missing? Is it worthwhile recharging the battery? Any insight on resetting or troubleshooting the grn key concern?

Any general advice or direction would be very greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Rob

·
Registered
540 Posts
The veh will still crank even with an unrecognizable key. I would first start with charging the battery, as 12v is very low/ dead battery. Next make sure you have battery voltage at the starter on the big wire, then 12v on the little wire in cranking mode. That will split the system and tell you which side you need to start diagnosing.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Is the grounding strap from the engine to the frame intact? Contact points need to be clean, corrosion free, metal to metal.
Might inspect the negative battery cable as well.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Sorry if I missed it,

But,

Did you try jumping it with a running vehicle?
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
For shits and giggles try changing the battery in the key fob. My son was having this issue in his Charger.
Turned out the battery in the fob was dead, and it messed up security and starting issues.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,264 Posts
For shits and giggles try changing the battery in the key fob.
Mostly for the former, I'm sad to say, because on a PIlot anyway, a dead fob battery would not cause this.

OP, trying with your second key could help rule out a key issue. I'd be more inclined to guess battery and/or cables and connections.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,839 Posts
One thing you might confirm is verify the green key icon behavior compared to the behavior listed in the owners manual. From what you noted I doubt it’s this but it’s easy enough to try.

When you turn the key do you hear any relays click? I believe there is a starter cutoff relay in the path between ignition key and the starter.

As others have mentioned charge the battery. 12V measurement you took implies the battery is drained or dead.

One other thing not mentioned yet is does your Pilot have an alarm system installed? If it does check any splices to the ignition key wire harness as well as the ground connection for the alarm control unit. Something may have come loose.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do the headlights dim when you turn the key? If yes, battery. If no, smack the starter around a little while someone holds the key in the start position (hit it with a stick or something). If it goes, you need a new starter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts