Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
06 pilot heat first gone in the front (all vents). Hot heat in the rear. Replaced heater control valve, flushed heater core, replaced thermostat, all vents now blow lukewarm air. Dealership says it is the heater core. Temp on hoses read 190 degrees yet the temp is reading 105 going thru the firewall. Is this possible or do we need to keep checking for something else?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I almost can't type I am still jumping up and down with joy. My 04 Honda had the same heater problem. No heat up front. Dealer said the heater core was the problem and it would cost 1300$ to fix. Checked the screw described above and it was loose. Guess what??? It now works. YIPPPEEE.
Thank you all!, had same problem, found the screw and prevented the dealer from screwing me out of a $1600 replacement core job.
... I have little faith in Dealership repair departments.
Thanks again, Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So glad I found this thread! I had the same issue and the dealership replaced the thermostat and told me if the heat blows luke warm again I would have to replace the heater core (which I wasn't about to do). After less than a weak of mildly warm air, I had cold air again. Thanks to this thread and one small turn of a screw, I've had hot air for over two weeks now.

I really think it is a shame that dealerships cannot just be honest. I guess $2000+ to replace a perfectly good heater core is too much temptation for that. Needless to say I wouldn't return to the dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar issue with a 2011 Touring. I spent most of the afternoon looking for the Heater Valve and can't seem to find it along the passenger side firewalll, as was suggested in earlier posts. I have also searched for the part itself and nothing comes up for 2011 model. Any chance that it might be in a different spot for the 2011?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a similar issue with a 2011 Touring. I spent most of the afternoon looking for the Heater Valve and can't seem to find it along the passenger side firewalll, as was suggested in earlier posts. I have also searched for the part itself and nothing comes up for 2011 model. Any chance that it might be in a different spot for the 2011?
I've come up empty finding a heater valve on my 2011 EX/L-RES under the hood, in parts searches or in tracing diagrams.......the conclusion I come to is I don't think it has one.

My issue is the driver's side will only get to 71/72* while both the passenger and rear heat gets nice and toasty. I don't think it's a air blend issue as I've run the diagnostics on the HVAC controls and all come up good and I do get temp change on the driver's side.......it just doesn't get up to max temp.

The previous owner's dealer performed a (unnecessary) coolant flush 6000 miles ago @ 60,000 miles. The dealer actually used conventional green coolant AND looks like they improperly burped the 2-core heater system.......that or I have some sort of blockage @ 66k miles. The way Honda has this 2-core system plumbed doesn't lend itself to easily removing air from the heater loop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Slightly different front heater problem

Folks,

My 2003 Pilot has great AC and heats only if I turn the thermostat all the way to high. I've checked the heater valve and the lever on the top is tight. Also the valve and heater core clearly work. When I move the valve manually it turns easy and the air gets piping hot. It seems like the cable that controls this doesn't move as I increase the temp controller up until it gets to high. Outside temp is around 85... is it possible this happens until the temp outside gets colder?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar situation...needing help!

Folks,

When I move the valve manually it turns easy and the air gets piping hot. It seems like the cable that controls this doesn't move as I increase the temp controller up until it gets to high.
Chris
I have an 04 Pilot I purchased 4 months ago...Its starting to get colder here in Colorado and I just realized the front heat doesn't work while the rear heat is fine. The AC works great. As this post described I was hoping the Philips screw was loose but its not! Here are my symptoms...hopefully somebody else has had the same and figured out a fix. Not a heater core fix.

1) When I turn the hot/cold dial inside the Pilot the cable under the hood that attaches to the "heater control valve" does not move.

2) I can manually open close the "heater control valve" by hand but still no heat to the front!

3) Temperature gauge is working fine, plenty of coolant, rear heat works.

Thanks for the help!

Travis

·
Registered
1 Posts
THANK YOU TO THIS INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the screw, loosened it, moved the temp gauge from hot to cold and BAM got hot air!!!!

This is not the first time I used this forum to fix my 2 pilots and thats why I LOVE this group!!!!

Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, i have heat in my pilot!!!!

I had the same problem no heat in my front vents. I Replaced the screw on the valve, BINGO, same heat , when my 2005 pilot was new!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
where is that screw located? is it easy to get to? I just had the core flushed (500$) and I'm afraid to bring it back... they said it was going to cost 1500 to replace the core....I had same issues as you,but on a 2006 Pilot.... no heat in the front.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
where is that screw located? is it easy to get to? I just had the core flushed (500$) and I'm afraid to bring it back... they said it was going to cost 1500 to replace the core....I had same issues as you,but on a 2006 Pilot.... no heat in the front.
:) Isn't this it? (from post #23 of this thread)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it possible for the arm on the heater control valve to get out of alignment? I used the great information from these forums to replace the air mix motor when I noticed that the cable was not moving. When I was done I also noticed that the screw was loose on the heater control valve so I tightened it up. Now I get only cold to lukewarm air coming from the front vents but no hot air. I am wondering if the knob on the heat valve can be out of alignment so when the knob is in the full open position the valve inside is not really fully opened?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Is it possible for the arm on the heater control valve to get out of alignment? I used the great information from these forums to replace the air mix motor when I noticed that the cable was not moving. When I was done I also noticed that the screw was loose on the heater control valve so I tightened it up. Now I get only cold to lukewarm air coming from the front vents but no hot air. I am wondering if the knob on the heat valve can be out of alignment so when the knob is in the full open position the valve inside is not really fully opened?
I took mine apart after it was replaced. The metal arm piece has an oval shape in it that should fit over an oval part on the valve. The problem is that the plastic on the valve deteriorated and was basically gone. So the arm tends to just spin regardless of how tight the screw is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem many others on here have. No heat on a 2006 Pilot. Rear hear works fine.

- I tried tightening the screw. It was tight.

- Tried loosening the screw and manually moving the valve. Could not get the valve to move.

- Removed the cable from the valve and was able to move the valve. Still blowing cold air.

I'm not sure what to try next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So glad to find this thread. I, too, had this same problem. A/C worked great this summer when I bought the Pilot. Didn't even think about checking the heat (who thinks about that in June?} Anyway, cool weather and frosted windshield weather shows up and I have no heat in the front. Took the vehicle to my Honda dealer and was told I needed a new radiator (supposedly had a leak), a new heater core and who knows what else. Talking big bucks. I said I'd deal with the cold. Was going to take the vehicle to my mechanic who I trust. He is honest and fair. Hard to find a mechanic like that. Then I did some research and came across this thread. Let me tell you right now that I am a 62 yr. old female and I know very little about cars except general maintenance procedures. Well, I Googled some images of the Heater Valve Arm/Cable assembly unit and read where the unit is located. I ended up laying across the engine and finally found what I thought was the correct cable. The cable and screw and arm were all corroded and the screw wouldn't tighten. So I just stuck my arm down behind the engine and pushed on the arm and cable with my thumb. It finally moved and I thought I had broken it. Well, it wasn't broken and when I climbed in the car heat was coming out of the vents. I felt so proud of myself for actually fixing the problem, but it was the help I received from the contributors to this thread that led me in the right direction. Thanks so much. Saved me time, money and time without the use of my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Front Console Heat Problem Solved!

Front Console Heat Problem Solved! I found this awesome thread last night and I'm glad I took the time to read all the way through it, that is why I'm replying to the first post to let others know there is a easy fix further down in the thread. I had the exact same issue with my 05 Pilot, back heat console was fine, on the front: AC fine, blowing air fine but no heat at all. Read through the thread last night and the this morning went out, popped the hood, found the valve and screw on top mentioned in the later posts, tightened it and the heat is restored! The screw was a bit hard to get at but thanks to all of the folks that posted here with descriptions and also photos, I was able to apply this simple solution and the issue is fixed. I was only able to get 3/4 of a turn to tighten the screw but the heat came right back and was blasting hot air out the front console once again. I would say that remember to have your heat set to cold before tightening the screw as this may avoid some of the issues the other posters had that were not able to adjust the heat down after tightening. Thanks to the original thread poster and all of the other contributors, gotta love these threads!

61 - 80 of 107 Posts