Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Pilot. has stopped blowing heat from the front vents. The center console working fine with hot air and adjusts according tofront/rear controls. The blower fan up front fine, cycling the mode does not change the heat performance. A/c works fine. Is there fuses to check? are there 2 heater cores, 1 for front and back, or is this a heater core control valve problem. Can you easily diagnose the fault or is this a dealer job? thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I just got the vehicle back from the dealer today. They tried a coolant flush and fill but did not resolve problem. coolant temp tests ok at front heater core as well as valve controlling flow to front and rear heater cores. rear heater core fine as heat in back. Dealer wants to replace front heater core. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else had heater problems???

I am surprised after seeing so many replies to other posts that no one has responded? How many failed/blocked heater core problems have others heard about? This job involves a huge amount of work to remove the steering column, entire instrument panels, dashboard, front seats to reach the heater core. It seems strange the core has failed given how unaccesible it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know of a way to test if the valve in the hose at the heater core inlet is opening inside the line. When the A/c is turned on the valve arm moves to close but the phillips screw does not move. Could it be stripped. does anyone have a diagram of the valve? thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 2005 Pilot lost all heat/AC up front because of a rodent. Chewed wires, burned plastic smell, everything plugged with seeds and debris, $476 bill from the dealer not covered by the warranty. Apparently there is no provision for keeping rodents out. Doesn't sound like this is your problem, however, maybe something else got sucked into your system and plugged the hoses or vents.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Your post ... " .... cycling the mode does not change the heat performance...."

It is possible one of the BAD electronic switch re "cycling the mode" though I don't really know what this 'mode" is all about.

·
Super Moderator
15,155 Posts
Can you help us a little more?

While you can get ac and heat from the vents at the rear of the console, you get fresh air & ac but no heat from the vents to the windshield, face (center or left/right) and floor?

The most common failure for heat is actually the rear heater failing due to a resistor problem. So this is new! Yes the rear does have its own heater unit.

The heater matrix is located immediately to the left of the interior air filter on the pilot, as the air goes into the plenum behind the center console. Look at the link:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=PILOT&catcgry2=2004&catcgry3=5DR+EXL&catcgry4=KL5AT&catcgry5=HEATER+UNIT

I'm trending towards suggesting that electrics going to the motor or the motor itself that controls the flap that allows air through the heater core have failed . Eg part numbered 6 in the diagram. I see the controls for the valve but where is the valve? If the core failed, it would leak. You don't report a leak.

Sadly there is little that can be done without a strip down. Its simply not that accessible. But the link should give you hope as to the potential parts that could fail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, just got my 05 Pilot EXL on 10/31/08, so I am brand new here. I wanted to chime in because I am having the same issue as tbayhonda:

-fresh air & ac but no heat, just lukewarm air from the vents to the windshield, face (center/left/right) and floor.
-heat and ac to console vents pointed towards 2nd row
-Tried setting ac, no ac, inside air, outside air, rear manual ac off and on.....no luck
-Also tried filling the radiator reservoir since it was empty....no luck even though the air SEEMED a little hotter. But it was colder outside.

I checked ac when I bought it, but not heat (who ever has issues with heat in an 05, right?). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
problem solved

While I have not replied to this thread since the initial posts, an inbox notification of another post drew me back. I took the dealers advice to replace heater core, but elected the job myself. This is NOT a fun job. Removal of the vehicles front seats, followed by the center console, the vehicles instrument panels, steering column, both fuse boxes and multiple wiring harnesses, disabling airbags and connectors. the complete removal of the dash from the vehicle, discharge the a/c remove condensor and finally the heater box/air distributor. we changed the core with a brand new one and reasembled the vehicle after 5 days and 40hrs labour of 2 people. AND guess what. the dealer had mis- diagnosed the problem. it did not fix it. The only other explanation was the heater control valve on the coolant line in the engine bay at the firewall. I had asked the dealer 3 times if they checked this valve and they said it was fine.
It turned out that there is a screw on top of the post of the valve that holds the lever arm on. it had come loose and the valve did not rotate with the lever. tightening this $1 screw returned heat to the vehicle after a $3000 ordeal. This incident is the first reported in pilots and has been reported to honda canada and america. WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T CHANGE THE HEATER CORE WITHOUT ENSURING THIS VALVE TRAVELS APPROPRIATELY.

·
Registered
205 Posts
tbayhonda said:
Does anyone know of a way to test if the valve in the hose at the heater core inlet is opening inside the line. When the A/c is turned on the valve arm moves to close but the phillips screw does not move. Could it be stripped. does anyone have a diagram of the valve? thanks
WOW!:mad: I just joined this forum, but if I were here, and saw THIS post, I would have said, THERE's your problem.....................My 91 Acura has the same part. When it blew a head gasket, I replaced evey single fricken hose, (there's 22 of em!), and also that valve, because if a Legend temp needle ever pegs to the red, it's probably to late, BHG! I replaced that valve basically because it was a hell of a lot easier while the heads were off, as was the timing belt and water pump. My Legend has about 308,000 miles on her, but you'd never know it!:2:

Hopefully we'll be buying an 05 EXL Black with gray leather interior and flip down DVD player! 57,000 miles. How's the AC in these puppies, in a black truck, I hope it works very good!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
WHOA.... I've had this problem for a while - the front heat would be lukewarm (while the console is toasty quickly), but then it would only get hot when the engine revved up past 2000 rpms or so.

I actually installed seat heaters because I thought it might mostly be me just being cold in the Ohio mornings LOL.

Tightened that screw today after reading this (was pretty loose)and now it blasts out heat really fast! Thanks tbayhonda !!!!

btw - the story of the heater core made me wince in pain.... ouch thats terrible.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem on my 05. Where is the valve and screw I should check? Is it on the firewall behind the engine? I see some plastic things that could be valves, but no obvious screw to tighten. Pics would be great if anyone has them.
Thanks,
Geeter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just answered my own question. Same problem, same fix. I love the Internet!!!
For others it is behind the engine, slightly off center on the passenger side. It is black plastic with a metal arm/lever on top, which is attached to a wire that moves to open and close the valve. It is hard to see around all the hoses, but the arm/lever has a screw at the end opposite the wire, which goes into the black plastic valve body.
-geeter

·
Registered
13 Posts
I almost can't type I am still jumping up and down with joy. My 04 Honda had the same heater problem. No heat up front. Dealer said the heater core was the problem and it would cost 1300$ to fix. Checked the screw described above and it was loose. Guess what??? It now works. YIPPPEEE.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh, and Thanks very much to those who took the time to describe their problem and the fix. If I could I would buy you a beer or a pop or shake your hand...Can you tell I am excited. Again...Yipppeeee.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm also giddy

I have the same problem with my '04 and just found this today. I can't wait until I get home to check this. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
75blazer...If you can't find the valve, let me know and I will help you find it. The description location I earlier posted is the one I used to find it. The "wire" mentioned in the note is better described as a cable. It is not an electrical type of wire (one carrying current) but more of a cable attached to the top of the valve that turns the valve. The screw that attaches the cable to the valve faces up. If the screw is loose then you may have found the problem. When you test it to see if there is heat, don't dispair if it does not come on hot immediately. I had to cycle the temp from HI to LOW and back to HI. The heat then immediately came on. The way I see it is that the valve stopped moving when the screw came loose. But who knows where you had the temp setting when this happened. Cycling the temp may very well put the valve back to a nuetral setting. Anyway it worked for me. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Just had this happen to mine today too. I was getting intermittent heat for a while, then today no heat. Tightened the screw on the valve and now the heat works again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JRBassitt, would you mind posting some pictures so that I could see where to fix this? I've an 04 Pilot which has the same problem talked about here. If you would, it'd be much appreciated, the winters here in Reno are kinda cold...
My main problem is I can't find the valve.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts