Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, new to the site and to the Pilot.
Rear driver's side door has nothing electrical working. Speaker, window, lock don't work. All the other speakers are fine. All the other windows and locks work with the fob and with the drivers door controls. I have the panel off of the rear driver's door and am ready to start testing, but I figured I ask before I go any further. And clues here?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,946 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
My first guess is there are multiple breaks in the wiring within the rubber boot between the door and chassis. I am pretty certain the speaker negative is on a different wire than negative/ground for the window motor and door lock actuators. That is why I suspect multiple wire breaks. Note that the break may be within the wire insulation so you might not be able to see it. You might try jiggling the rubber boot around to see if anything starts working. If it does that definitely indicates broken wire(s). Let us know what you discover.

Reactions: Sleepwalker65

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No luck there. I fiddled with the boot while hitting buttons and the fob and got nothing. I also tried playing the radio with a speaker plugged in and wiggled the boot around. Nada. Is there any chance that at the other end of the harness, it's just disconnected? Where does it go?
And if that line of reasoning isn't any good, what wires in the door should I get ground continuity or +12v?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I agree that most likely, the rubber conduit that routes wires from body to door has sustained some kind of damage.
So you already got into the door itself, and should have access to various connectors: for the lock button, the window switch, the speaker. You likely had to disconnect the connector for door/window switches to take the panel off. To get to the spot where wires enter the door, you will most likely need to remove and disconnect the speaker.

Getting to the other side of it: I recently needed to go into all 4 doors of my 2013 Pilot, and I think that overall sequence should be very similar.
Make sure to disconnect battery negative first.
Remove the driver seat. Remove the trim along driver door bottom and lower trim from the column. Then you will need to take out the seat belt tensioner assembly. There will likely be a foam insert behind it, just pull it out carefully. Now you should be able to access the spot where door harness exits the body. Push out the rubber collars on both ends of the conduit. You now should be able to slide it around and examine the wires going through it for damage. It is possible that conduit got torn at either collar and wires were rubbing against bare metal - so check body exit/door entry points especially carefully.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
For the speaker you might try testing with a known good one to rule that out. It is possible the speaker is bad.

For the other wires perform an ohm (continuity) check between the wires within the door to the wires on the cabin side of the rubber boot just to be certain there are no breaks. Perform the continuity check with the battery negative disconnected.

I highly doubt a connector within the cabin came loose but if it did it would likely be in the footwell area of the driver. Be careful if you start looking around down there as there are likely SRS system wires down there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spot ON!

In case anyone else has the joy of this project, here a few more photos. I think it might have been possible to do the job without removing the driver's seat but it would have been a pain.
E2D153B9-927F-438D-B51A-83C00438948B.jpeg CF35BF83-D6C2-4896-9AE4-5B68245AC795.jpeg

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts