Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AWD Touring
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking to get a Pilot 2021 (SE) which does not come with any RES or CD/Blu-Ray player.

Dealer service dept said that there was a CD player option only for the EX trim but none for EX-L or SE, which was a bit surprising.
I have a ton of CD's, no time to digitize them, and would love to play them during commutes.

Anyone go through a dealer for a CD player in their 2021 SE Pilot?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
I still enjoy some CDs, especially my own mix CDs I burned on a computer 20 years ago. At the time I did my first one I thought it was one of the coolest things ever. :)

Here, enjoy your CDs, too:

·
Registered
2021 AWD Touring
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks plplplpl. Called two dealerships and they both could not find a CD part number that would be compatible with an SE trim.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,267 Posts
Sounds like you have two choices. Either buy an EX, Touring or Elite or no CD player.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Thanks plplplpl. Called two dealerships and they both could not find a CD part number that would be compatible with an SE trim.
Maybe try to call College Hills Honda (the place in my link) and ask them. Maybe it's one of the options listed, but many places don't know about it because the SE trim is less common. What would be the difference in an SE trim that would make it the only Pilot that it doesn't work for?

I've also attached a PDF of the installation instructions, if that can help. Gotta say, installing a CD player on any modern 2021 Pilot sure is more complicated than when I was a young mechanic (pardon the Scotty Kilmer liine :D).

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
Maybe try to call College Hills Honda (the place in my link) and ask them. Maybe it's one of the options listed, but many places don't know about it because the SE trim is less common. What would be the difference in an SE trim that would make it the only Pilot that it doesn't work for?

I've also attached a PDF of the installation instructions, if that can help. Gotta say, installing a CD player on any modern 2021 Pilot sure is more complicated than when I was a young mechanic (pardon the Scotty Kilmer liine :D).
Perhaps the CD player only works on Pilots with the RES.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Perhaps the CD player only works on Pilots with the RES.
I'd be very surprised. On the College Hills Honda site, they list it for the LX trim, which has never had the RES, AFAIK.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Touring
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be very surprised. On the College Hills Honda site, they list it for the LX trim, which has never had the RES, AFAIK.
Yes, called College Hills Honda, there's no option for SE to add this accessory. :(

Strangely, there appears to be an option for EX.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
:( Weird. I wonder what makes the SE different form all the other trims, in that respect.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
A thought: Does the 2021 SE have a 3.5mm or USB input for the audio system? They make pretty slim external/portable CD players with 3.5mm or even USB outputs.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Touring
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A thought: Does the 2021 SE have a 3.5mm or USB input for the audio system? They make pretty slim external/portable CD players with 3.5mm or even USB outputs.
Great idea but maybe some 2021 SE owner can reliably chime in thanks!

·
Registered
813 Posts
My touring has USB and a 3.5mm jack. There is no reason that Honda would remove these for the SE which is one trim lower.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's just not in demand these days, which is why it's not even discussed very often. There are plenty of options to encode your CDs to a flash drive or buy an external CD player and plug it in.

It sounds like this is important to you. Why not just get a Touring?

·
Registered
2021 AWD Touring
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes agreed, that’s my plan to look for a touring.

I didn’t see any reference to the 3.5mm input in 2021 Pilot online manual.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yes agreed, that’s my plan to look for a touring.

I didn’t see any reference to the 3.5mm input in 2021 Pilot online manual.
You should definitely call your dealer or look in person for a 3.5 mm input. It's in the center console.

I don't think it's worth spending $4,000 extra just for a CD player. An Apple Music subscription is around $10 a month, but if you're songs aren't on there, then you might as well transfer the songs to a USB drive. If you don't know how to do that, maybe a photo department in Walgreens/ CVS can take care of that. As much as I love the touring over the SE in terms of equipment and looks, it just isn't worth the $4,000 extra for a CD player. I don't even think the Pilot allows for listening to music on a CD. I don't have the option for it on my car, but maybe other ones can be different. I think the front slot is just for DVD's that you watch on the RES.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I don't even think the Pilot allows for listening to music on a CD. I don't have the option for it on my car, but maybe other ones can be different. I think the front slot is just for DVD's that you watch on the RES.

My 2019 Touring has the CD player which uses the front slot where DVD's go for the RES.. I have used it maybe twice in the past year. Did they eliminate the CD function on your 2020 Touring?

·
Registered
813 Posts
B0CA3E49-0C03-4E75-BDAE-1A12CC594FC9.jpeg
this is all I have on my 2020. There was also an option for RES if you scrolled down a bit, but there was no cd option.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Touring
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You should definitely call your dealer or look in person for a 3.5 mm input. It's in the center console.

I don't think it's worth spending $4,000 extra just for a CD player. An Apple Music subscription is around $10 a month, but if you're songs aren't on there, then you might as well transfer the songs to a USB drive. If you don't know how to do that, maybe a photo department in Walgreens/ CVS can take care of that. As much as I love the touring over the SE in terms of equipment and looks, it just isn't worth the $4,000 extra for a CD player. I don't even think the Pilot allows for listening to music on a CD. I don't have the option for it on my car, but maybe other ones can be different. I think the front slot is just for DVD's that you watch on the RES.
Thanks for your advice!

CD player is not the only issue which we have for choosing a touring. There’s no 3.5 mm Aux input in the SE pics I’ve seen online.

Normal CDs will work in the RES player.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts