Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

no air blowing through front vents

129K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  Phil Coleman 
#1 ·
The fan is on and i can hear it running but no air blows through the front vents - it seems all the air is blowing through the back vents. Something happened last night and the air started blowing but after about 30 minutes no air blowing. Still today the fan is on but no air coming out front vents. Any ideas?

#3 ·
year and trim level?

have you played with the mode controls?

if you have an EX or higher with the automatic climate control in auto mode, it automatically siwtches the output vents depending on various conditions.

if the mode is in the "floor" mode, there is no air out the center dash vents and a small amount of air to the side dash vents (to defog the front windows).

#5 ·
FYI: The front and rear have seperate fans pushing the air, so your front fan could be dead or slipping on the shaft (no airflow) and you could still have normal airflow out the rear vents.

Here's a thread with info on removing the in-cabin filter...and another much longer thread. While you are in there, check to see if there are any leaves or debris that could be blocking airflow.

#7 ·
When this happened to ours it sounded like air was blowing but not coming out. It was only the rear air working. At road speed, some ventilation would happen but nothing more than a slight draft.

The real problem was the $70 transistor that controls the fan speed. Dealer only item but very simple to change from under the passenger's dash.

#8 ·
2003 Pilot - No air from middle vents.

I have cleaned the pollen filter, vacuumed out the filer compartment. Tried all modes including heat. Rear vents work, all front works, except for the 2 in the middle. Was hearing a fast clicking sound a while back and believe that has something to do with the issue. Looks like a flap is stuck in close position for the middle from vents. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

#17 ·

I have cleaned the pollen filter, vacuumed out the filer compartment. Tried all modes including heat. Rear vents work, all front works, except for the 2 in the middle. Was hearing a fast clicking sound a while back and believe that has something to do with the issue. Looks like a flap is stuck in close position for the middle from vents. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have the exact same issue.

I can hear the Fan blowing air, strong, but air only comes out in the rear. The middle two vents on the front, nothing comes out and just a tiny bit on the driver side and passenger side vents.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#10 · (Edited)
Hello from North Carolina 2007 ex owner,
Just had a chance to run across this thread and wondered how your climate control air flow problem turned out. Our 2007 ex started to have the same problem. It sounds as if the fan is working fine and even changing speeds. Just not pushing any air to any vent. It was fine one day and not so fine the next. While driving one night and wishing that the defrost vents would work there was a loud clunk as if a door had opened up and warm air was finally blasting from the defrost vents only to clunk back closed a minute later. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. richardclarkhill@gmail.com btw. Mode control motor and levers seem to be functioning. Is there a flap/door between the blower and main unit that could malfunction and completely obstruct the air flowing to the main unit? While the car is moving I get a small amount of center dash vent warm air flow but non at all to the defroster vents. Just want some pointers as to other problems to check while I have the dash and glovebox out for the air filter change as I have my doubts that it is the cause.

#12 ·
Hello from a 2006 Honda Pilot in Texas. My ac is working fine, blower working fine. seems my vent controls work fine, but no air is blowing out of my front dash center two air vents. I had already changed the cabin filter about 5 monthsy ago. does anyone have any ideas? Many thanks!

#13 ·
I have tried changing the Mode control, turned the AC off and on, and no change. Is the pollen filter the same thing as the Cabin filter? if so, I changed it about 5 months ago. I also tried taking out the Air Mix Motor, cleaning it and replacing it. no change.

#14 ·
I have had the same exact problem. any ideas would be helpful I was told by the dealer that it might be the Air Mix Motor or AC Vent Actuator (same part with two different names it seems). I removed the Air Mix Motor, cleaned the inside metal contacts and replaced it. but nothing. Where can I get an Air Mix Motor aka: AC Vent Actuator for a 2006 Pilot?

#15 ·
2003 Honda Pilot. No blower at front. Turn on car and A/C comes on for 1 - 2 seconds. Rear blower runs. Solution: Replace transistor or solder a new thermal cut off from Mouser Electronics. Part # 447-XYP2BN109-RC. This is the same part used to repair the rear blower which I already did back in 2010. Had extra thermal cutoffs from that repair so I soldered a new one in and works fine. While doing research online was confused as some said blower would work on high setting only which indicates transistor replacement. Not true. If your front blower is dead, all your fuses check out OK and your rear blower still works, it's your transistor. There are videos on You Tube showing how to replace the thermal cutoff. If you can solder, you can fix the problem easily.

#16 ·
Your blower motor may be clogged or needs to be replaced. Its easy to do, the blower motor on Bonnevilles are located on the firewall at the back of the engine compartment.

Are you getting all of the fan settings? ie low/med/high? There is a de-clog product on the market that can be used. Not sure of the name...someone else will chime in here I'm sure.

#18 ·
I would verify that the front blower is actually turning on. Turn off the rear blower (the Pilot has two blowers) and then double check if the front blower is running. If the front blower is not running:

1) Check/replace any applicable fuses.
2) Verify there are no loose wire connections to the front blower motor.
3) Verify you can hear/see/feel the flapper move when you change the front vent settings.
4) Verify the cabin air filter and/or filter compartment is not clogged. Replace/vacuum out as needed. You might also look under your hood to make sure leaves are not blocking the area near the windshield wipers.
5) Verify the front blower wheel can spin / is not seized. I'm not sure if you can get your hands on this since I haven't had to fix our front blower yet. If you can see the blower wheel make sure it isn't clogged up.
6) Replace the front blower transistor module assembly (or just the thermal fuse if you can solder).
7) Replace the front blower motor.

If you get to steps 6 and 7 verify voltages with a multimeter before replacing parts since the costs can add up.

If you can hear the front blower running try steps 3 and 4.

Good Luck,
Steve

#20 ·
I need help!

No air blowing out of my vents, ac or heat doesn't work. I hear nothing coming on. Is it my blower motor or resistor? i have a Honda civic 2004... i bought a ressitor and i installed it, no air came out, i think its the blower motor. Once i install a blower motor should the ac or heat come on or do i need to do something else?

#24 ·
For anyone reading this thread here’s what I have found:
1. No air from front center vents, but you have blower motor working (you can hear it if you put the fan on full blast. It’s the motor to the right of the accelerator pedal. You can watch the actuator try to move when you have someone press ‘mode’ with the A/C on full. You should get floor only, floor and defrost and console vents only on different ‘modes’ as displayed on the LCD. Try gently ‘nudging’ the motor in the direction it’s trying to turn. You may want to lightly grease the actuators with some silicone grease. This worked for me - unsticking the ‘mix motor’ gave me back full A/C on the front vents as well as defrost mode.
2. Back AC not working. There is a resistor pack behind a panel at the LH passenger footwell. You can buy this for $10 online, and if you are handy maybe even take it apart and replace the fried components. Transistor, resistor, or whatever. But for $10 I wouldn’t bother. Here’s a YouTube video which completely covers the fix.

BTW- The front and back have separate evaporators- so it’s possible for the front to work but not the back for other reasons. But the above is a cheap and easy fix if you can follow easy directions. If it fixes it, you save $100s compared with going to the “Honda Stealer”. Best of luck.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.