Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to check out the Morano (Murano) board after seeing that they have a games button that works (hint-hint, nudge-nudge) and I began seeing threads about little noises and small problems with the Nissan. Kind of reminded me of our little quirks (scunches and rattles).

TSB's include:
1. DRIVER'S SIDE LEFT FOOT PLASTIC PROTECTOR FALLS OFF.
2. DOORS LOCK/UNLOCK AND/OR FRONT WINDOWS ROLL DOWN INTERMITTENTLY, ALARM SOUNDS.
3. AIR BAG LIGHT ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE STORED LH AND/OR RH CURTAIN MODULE VB OR GND SHORT.
4. CENTER CONSOLE LID HARD TO CLOSE.
5. REAR CUP HOLDER ARM BROKEN.
6. INTERIOR COURTESY LAMPS INOPERATIVE.
7. ON SOME VEHICLE'S THE ENGINE WILL NOT START.
8. CLICKING NOISE FROM AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFT CONTROL WHEN SHIFTING.

So far, I've seen that members have reported:
1. A popping noise somewhere in the drivers door pillar.
2. Loss of power steering at low speeds (yikes)!
3. Lots and lots of rattles.
4. Failure to start.

Has anyone driven a Murano? What do you think? The comments on the Murano site about the Pilot are not very flattering. Most like the MDX but find the Pilot boring. I'd like to see how popular the Murano is after the trendy styling wears off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I drove the Murano several times because I loved the styling and had a Maxima which would have gotten me a good deal, but gave up on it because it had too many truck-like qualities. List on the Pilot I bought is about $6k less than the Murano with most of the same features.

·
Registered
234 Posts
From The Detriot News...

Despite spate of new models, quality issues haunt Nissan
By Paul Lienert / Autos Insider

"I've driven production or prototype versions of every new model from both brands except the QX56. Almost without exception, they have been entertaining to look at and to drive. And almost without exception, the assembly and material quality has fallen short of expectations.

If Nissans look great on the outside, they still tend to fall short on the inside. "

Full article below
http://www.detnews.com/2003/insiders/0308/14/inside-243727.htm

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
smurray said:
I decided to check out the Morano (Murano) board after seeing that they have a games button that works (hint-hint, nudge-nudge) and I began seeing threads about little noises and small problems with the Nissan. Kind of reminded me of our little quirks (scunches and rattles).

exactly....mots cars have these even the luxary ones....if you go on any board you will see these being discussed...actually say you go to a Kia board you might see less mention of such problems because the owners expect less from them...

my $.02

·
Registered
242 Posts
I test drove a Murano before deciding on the Pilot. It seemed cool at first but decided it was just too radical to own.

I also thought it was priced too high.

I think Nissan is trying to sell all its cars based only on emotion. not substance.

If you have seen the latest Nissan ad campaign Shift_...... bah bah bah. Remove the f in Shift and add a Bull in front. :2:

·
Registered
158 Posts
smurray said:
Has anyone driven a Murano? What do you think? The comments on the Murano site about the Pilot are not very flattering. Most like the MDX but find the Pilot boring. I'd like to see how popular the Murano is after the trendy styling wears off.
Before recently buying my Pilot, every single car I've ever owned were Nissans or Infinitis. So, when I was looking for an SUV, naturally, I checked out the Murano and the Infiniti FX35/45 before buying the Pilot. There is no doubt that the Pilot IS boring compared to the Murano and the FX35/45, but the Pilot is a much better vehicle for my needs. It completely blows away the Murano in terms of useability, room, practicality, etc.

For me at least, an SUV is more of a utilitarian purchase than an emotional purchase like a sports car. This is also why I chose the Pilot over the MDX. The MDX looks better, is more "exciting", is more of a status symbol, but, again, the Pilot is more useful and has more room than the MDX and is MUCH cheaper.

I've had a couple of people criticize my Pilot as being too boxy and plain looking. But, who cares? I didn't buy it to impress anyone. I bought the Pilot because IT impressed ME.

Glen

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: From The Detriot News...

yolk said:

If Nissans look great on the outside, they still tend to fall short on the inside. "
This guy is spot on. I've always liked Nissan styling. The 90-96 300ZX twin turbo, the G35 coupe, FX35 SUV, etc. are all great looking cars. With the exception of the 300ZX TT, Nissans tend to have poorly designed interiors. Even the interior in the most expensive Q45 was downright poor. I honestly felt more impressed by the interior of the Honda Accord than the Q45 despite the Q being close to 3x as expensive.

This seems to be the opposite for Honda. Honda designs some of the best interiors. From the Civic to the Accord to the Pilot, the interiors always seem to be a couple of cuts above its competition. However, Honda exterior styling tends to be too bland and anonymous.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Re: Re: Nissan Murano

All great points, Glen. I deal with the emotional issue by just telling people it's my wife's car (which it is). Hey, at least it's better than driving a minivan!

GlenH said:
There is no doubt that the Pilot IS boring compared to the Murano and the FX35/45, but the Pilot is a much better vehicle for my needs. It completely blows away the Murano in terms of useability, room, practicality, etc.

For me at least, an SUV is more of a utilitarian purchase than an emotional purchase like a sports car. This is also why I chose the Pilot over the MDX. The MDX looks better, is more "exciting", is more of a status symbol, but, again, the Pilot is more useful and has more room than the MDX and is MUCH cheaper.

I've had a couple of people criticize my Pilot as being too boxy and plain looking. But, who cares? I didn't buy it to impress anyone. I bought the Pilot because IT impressed ME.

Glen

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Nissan Murano

robrecht said:
All great points, Glen. I deal with the emotional issue by just telling people it's my wife's car (which it is). Hey, at least it's better than driving a minivan!

down side is that your wife will hear it and say "IT MY car" you cannot drive it....:2: :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Nissan Murano

ramirami said:

down side is that your wife will hear it and say "IT MY car" you cannot drive it....:2: :2: :2: :2:
No, we've already settled this point because she doesn't let me drive her present car 'because I don't love it enough', which is true--I hate it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Nissan Murano

RandyMax said:

Hi there! I drive a Murano. What would you like to know?
Hi RandyMax, just wanted an opinion from someone who has experience driving both a Murano and a Pilot. What is your impression? If you could choose only one, which would it be and why? If you don't own both what made you decide to get the Murano? Have you had any problems with your Murano? Anything else you would like to add?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Nissan Murano

smurray said:
Hi RandyMax, just wanted an opinion from someone who has experience driving both a Murano and a Pilot. What is your impression? If you could choose only one, which would it be and why? If you don't own both what made you decide to get the Murano? Have you had any problems with your Murano? Anything else you would like to add?

Thanks
I was actually looking into both the Pilot and the Murano, but I picked the Murano over the Pilot. 3 major reasons:

1. Fun-to-drive factor. The Murano handles great especially in the twisties. The Pilot is too big and tippy for my taste, especially compared to the Murano. Some might actually feel that the Murano's suspension is too harsh. I don't. Its ride is similar to my 3.2 CL Type-S. Oh btw, I have an SE, which has a sportier suspension tuning than the SL.

2. Styling. My wife and I both like the styling of the Murano much better than that of the Pilot.

3. I got a killer deal on a USED Murano!! :2:

So far the Murano has treated me well. It does have it shares of buzzes and rattles, but I get most of it taken care of under warranty. The CVT has been flawless thus far, and I've been averaging 22 MPG on the freeways, going 75mph + with A/C. I do have concerns on how the CVT will hold up later on. I'll keep an eye on Murano message boards to see if I should purchase extended warranty once my factory 60k mile powertrain warrany runs out.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got a brief tour today

A coworker pulled up in a new Murano today and gave me the $0.10 tour. I liked some of the features they have that the Pilot doesn't offer.

Power seats with memory for 2 drivers - The seats move back when getting in and out which I think would be a little goofy at first but would/could be nice. I would hate to place something behind the seat that just barely fits though.

Height adjustable headlights - There were 3 settings for the headlight aim. I couldn't understand why this was necessary until he told me that the aim could be effected by heavy loads in the read so I guess I would use this, once or twice a year.

6 disk in dash CD player - I know they are offered on the Pilot but not on those with RES or NAV. The Murano I saw did not have RES or NAV so I don't know if it can be had so equipped so this may not count.

Power adjustable pedals (also with memory) - Nice for when you just can't find that proper driving position. I've never personally had this problem but my wife surely has.

Some things I didn't like:
Requires premium fuel - when regular unleaded costs me more than $2 per gallon, I'm going broke fast enough.

Styling - While it's cutting edge now, how's that styling going to stand the test of time?

Size - If you're in the market for a Highlander or Sante Fe, this is fine. But when you need to haul more than 5 passengers, or a sheet of plywood, you're out of luck with the Murano.

Price - Equally equipped Murano is about $6K more than a Pilot.

18 inch wheels/tires - I don't even want to know how much it's going to cost to replace those suckers.

Subwoofer - They've got one, inside the hub of the spare tire. I'm sure you can find a decent speaker to fit in there, but what do you do with it when you need to use that spare?

Interior materials - I know that everyone is using plastic everywhere but the fit and finish of the Pilot appears much better than the Murano. I hope the plastic in the Murano resists scratches better than the Pilot though.

So there you go, my impression without driving.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Nissan Murano

ramirami said:

LOL. The Pilot is also my wife's car, but I can't seem to get her to drive it. It feels too big to her coming from her current Acura Integra. Before we bought the Pilot, I made her test drive it 3x. She said it was fine and she really liked it. Now that we have it, she's afraid to drive it. Grrrrr!!!!

If we bought a car for myself, it would've been some midsized sport sedan like the new Acura TL or maybe a used GS430 or something.

As great of a car as the Pilot is, and as much as I enjoy its features, room, ride quality, etc., I must say that I have derived ZERO driving pleasure from it. But, this is probably because I have always owned excellent handling sports cars and sport sedans.

Well, I'm looking forward to my next home improvement project when I can actually carry home a 4' wide sheet of plywood for once in my life. :)

Glen

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nissan Murano

GlenH said:

LOL. The Pilot is also my wife's car, but I can't seem to get her to drive it. It feels too big to her coming from her current Acura Integra. Before we bought the Pilot, I made her test drive it 3x. She said it was fine and she really liked it. Now that we have it, she's afraid to drive it. Grrrrr!!!!

If we bought a car for myself, it would've been some midsized sport sedan like the new Acura TL or maybe a used GS430 or something.

As great of a car as the Pilot is, and as much as I enjoy its features, room, ride quality, etc., I must say that I have derived ZERO driving pleasure from it. But, this is probably because I have always owned excellent handling sports cars and sport sedans.

Well, I'm looking forward to my next home improvement project when I can actually carry home a 4' wide sheet of plywood for once in my life. :)

Glen
Well, I don't think my Miata qualifies as a sports car, but I have to agree with you that there isn't much "driving pleasure" to be had in the Pilot. But I do get a lot of emotional satisfaction from buying our first family car. We only have one 15-month old now but we're thinking about our second before too long, and I just get a thrill about being a family and needing more space for family trips.

I'm sure the Murano would be a lot of fun to drive, though. Do they have a convertible?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nissan Murano

robrecht said:

Well, I don't think my Miata qualifies as a sports car, but I have to agree with you that there isn't much "driving pleasure" to be had in the Pilot. But I do get a lot of emotional satisfaction from buying our first family car.
I think the Miata is definitely a sports car. It may not be super fast, but it handles really well. The car that gave me the most driving pleasure was not my modified 300ZX TT with over 400 hp, but my 140 hp 240SX. That car had incredibly tossable RWD handling (just like the Miata).

Agree with you about the satisfaction of buying the 1st "family" car. I have all these warm fuzzy thoughts about going on the road for family vacations in our Pilot.

Glen

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nissan Murano

GlenH said:

I think the Miata is definitely a sports car. It may not be super fast, but it handles really well. The car that gave me the most driving pleasure was not my modified 300ZX TT with over 400 hp, but my 140 hp 240SX. That car had incredibly tossable RWD handling (just like the Miata).

Agree with you about the satisfaction of buying the 1st "family" car. I have all these warm fuzzy thoughts about going on the road for family vacations in our Pilot.

Glen
Thanks. I sometimes call the miata a sporty car rather than a sports car because of some really impressive sports cars on the market now (Z8 is my favorite). People with Boxters, Z4s, S2000s sometimes make fun of the modest Miata, but none of those cars would exist if the Miata had not brought back the popularity of the roadster.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts