Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Nickel and Diming consumers

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Nail Grease 
#1 ·
How hard is it to mount floor mats in a Honda Pilot ?

Yes, that set of 3 or 4 piece of rubber you put to prevent water from getting on your floor liner.

#5 ·
I started this topic because someone made a topic about floor mats earlier, i went to estore.honda.com and saw some mats, here

Look at PRICE, then INSTALLATION, it's MORE.... (does those mats require screw drivers or any tools to mount ? )
  • Part Number 08P13-S9V-110B
  • Price without installation $164.63
  • Price with installation $186.63

Got me thinking, back in the late 80s, I bought a new car, no mats was included, but the store sold mats, I saw the mat price, told the dealer to add those mats when I come to pick up the car.
there was NO DAMN ADDITIONAL INSTALLATION FEE....

So i was wondering about these new mats, is it more than just, open the door and place the mats down ?.

#6 ·
Probably just basic labor charges. It takes a few minutes for someone to open the packages on the new ones, walk around the car and remove all the old ones, and then install the new ones. Dealers who keep track of every minute spent on a simple job like this will sometimes charge for it. You could probably call them out on it and maybe they'd back off and do it for free. But if you look at it from the dealer's point of view, a tech could spend 30 minutes or more just doing lots of little 5 minute jobs, and someone's gotta cover that time.

#7 ·
Yes, there is more to the installation than setting them down. There are two clips on each front mat that have to be removed then reinserted once the mat is in place. Keeps it from sliding around.

As for the fee, I can understand it. Time is money and it's taking the dealers time to have one of his employees install something that anyone can install themselves.

#9 ·
Be a knight in shining armor and impress your lady by installing it yourself, and then tell her with the money you saved you'll take her out to dinner.

Expect to be rewarded handsomely.

#10 ·
Be a knight in shining armor and impress your lady by installing it yourself, and then tell her with the money you saved you'll take her out to dinner.

Expect to be rewarded handsomely.
Is the money you save on the installation of mats going to be enough to impress?

#11 ·
I used to agree with this mentality, but as I get older and more aware of what goes into things I disagree. If somebody had to spend 10 minutes installing them then a labor charge is appropriate. Now, if I were purchasing the vehicle I'd look for them to remove it because they are sure making enough money on me that I don't want to see an extra profit center. BUT, if I came back later and asked for them I find a labor charge reasonable.

Reactions: Daltongang
#12 ·
I agree.
But it becomes a factor in your next business transaction. Hence the enormous amount of accessories and aftermarket parts not made by Honda, because the vast majority of people remember the outrageous prices and labor charges for OEM parts and installation.

Reactions: Sha93
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.