Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

NHTSA Investigation announced for Pilot engines that fail to start.

3211 Views 14 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Carl_B
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Finally!

I've just gotten into the habit of turning the feature off every time I drive my Pilot since it has become unreliable.

Reactions: jarosmar

· Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
864 Posts

No.
There is a sticky thread, with instructions on how to turn it off with no dash light.

Basically pulling a wire and putting it in another slot.

I'll find it in the morning.

· Registered
3 Posts
Saw this today as well. I have this exact issue for the last 6-9mo on my 2016 Touring. Dealership blames in on the battery, which for a stock 2016 might be reasonable, but have not yet replaced it. Odd to me that it can start from cold, but often (not always) fails to auto start/stop after idling during operation. Maybe I'll file a NHTSA report to add evidence.
Just Filed a complaint

· Registered
6 Posts
I've been experiencing this issue for a year now. Check engine light came on and the O2 sensor was replaced but did not resolve the engine stalling from the idle restart. We need everyone to file a complaint so this can be investigated urgently and resolved.

Use the following link to start your complaint.
Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

Just post this as your complaint:
The engine fails to restart on its own from a complete stop at a traffic light or road intersection with the Auto Start/Stop function engaged.

· Registered
55 Posts
I posted this in 2016-2022 forum... I had this problem for years with our 2016 honda pilot and posted about it on this forum. Submitted multiple complaints about it to NHTSA and Honda beginning in 2017. I checked the NHTSA report on the investigation they've opened and my complaints are included in their report. Honda replaced the battery, stop/start button, starter motor assembly, etc. Nothing fixed the problem. Someone from NHTSA emailed a few times. Last time I heard from them was in fall 2019 but they told me they couldn't share what was going in in their research into the problem. Since it looked like no solution was in sight, we finally got rid of it for a new car. Will never buy Honda again. Given that people, including me, were complaining about this to Honda and NHTSA more than 5 years ago and they are just getting around to a "preliminary investigation" now doesn't give me confidence this will be resolved urgently, but maybe those of us who purchased this defective car can get some compensation. Totally agree that should file NHTSA complaint if still having this problem. Best to also take it into dealer so it can be documented.

· Registered
1 Posts
I had another major incident with Auto Idle Stop today, after forgetting to deactivate it when starting the car. It has been a while since we visited this board for updates. Thank you for posting about the NHTSA investigation. I just filed my complaint on the site. I also read a class action lawsuit has been initiated. I hope the recent attention moves Honda to rectify the issue. It is incredibly unnerving when it happens in a busy intersection.

· Registered
1 Posts
Yep, this has happened to us in the middle of the road twice in the last few months. Additionally, it works when i forget to disable it, however, there is an uncomfortable delay and it struggles during restart. This is a 2019 Elite with about 45,000 miles. Went on NHTSA today and filed a complaint. Either, we were all correct in assuming the starter and battery can't handle this sheer increase in the number of restarts or the computer parts that manage it are failing. I'm leaning towards the first two scenarios. Which is kind of crap to have to replace these every three years or so when the useful life should be 5-7 on the battery and longer for the starter.
1-5-23 Update...Now the entire electronic suite shuts off when the car is trying to re-start and the Radio will not retune until the engine is shut off completely. Again, this is only if i forget to shut the start stop feature off.

· Registered
609 Posts
Given that people, including me, were complaining about this to Honda and NHTSA more than 5 years ago and they are just getting around to a "preliminary investigation" now doesn't give me confidence this will be resolved urgently...
One example:

The 2017 Ridgeline went on sale in June 2016. Complaints about a severed tailgate harness causing the rear view camera not to display began appearing in March 2018 on the Ridgeline Owners Club forum.

NHTSA opened an investigation in February 2022. Honda said, "this is a quality issue - not a safety issue".

In October 2022, NHTSA told Honda, "this is a safety issue".

In November 2022, Honda recalled 117,445 2017-2019 Ridgelines to replace the tailgate wiring harness.

So, in this example, it took 20 months from the date of first NHTSA complaint then 9 months from investigation to recall. Documentation reveals that Honda knew about this issue in 2018, but didn't issue a recall until 2022.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts