Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From www.hondacars.com

"Great news for Pilot owners. The all-new 2003 Honda Pilot is one of two midsize sport-utility vehicles (along with the 2002 Acura MDX) ever to earn the federal government's top Five-Star Safety Rating for the driver, front passenger and rear-seat passengers in both front- and side-impact crash tests. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) holds the New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) to provide consumers with safety information on the most common injury-causing crashes. "Achieving the highest possible all-around NHTSA test ratings further demonstrates our commitment to safety," said Dick Colliver, American Honda executive vice president."
:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Did we expect anything less from our Pilot? :D Just the other day, a co-worker of mine was arguing that Honda Pilots are overpriced for what it offers. Turned out, he had just picked up his Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd the day before. I wonder how his car faired in the tests. Must be such a nice car, with a 4.0L 6cyl engine that produces a whooping 195HP and 230LB/FT of torque.

He told me that he firmly believed his GC was a better car, period, as well as being a better value for the money. I asked him what he was on and asked him if I can have some of that sh*t.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
ramirami said:
From www.hondacars.com

"Great news for Pilot owners. The all-new 2003 Honda Pilot is one of two midsize sport-utility vehicles (along with the 2002 Acura MDX) ever to earn the federal government's top Five-Star Safety Rating for the driver, front passenger and rear-seat passengers in both front- and side-impact crash tests. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) holds the New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) to provide consumers with safety information on the most common injury-causing crashes. "Achieving the highest possible all-around NHTSA test ratings further demonstrates our commitment to safety," said Dick Colliver, American Honda executive vice president."
:2: :2: :2:
Hopefully the Insurance Companies will take this into consideration within the next few years.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Roll-over

It will be interesting to see how it does in the roll-over test. The MDX and the Aztec :16: both got a 4-star rating - but the Pilot has not been tested yet.

:)

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Roll-over

colorider said:
Aztec :16:
agree with you there...

and the blazers got 1 star :mad:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
RipRocK said:
Did we expect anything less from our Pilot? :D Just the other day, a co-worker of mine was arguing that Honda Pilots are overpriced for what it offers. Turned out, he had just picked up his Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd the day before. I wonder how his car faired in the tests. Must be such a nice car, with a 4.0L 6cyl engine that produces a whooping 195HP and 230LB/FT of torque.

He told me that he firmly believed his GC was a better car, period, as well as being a better value for the money. I asked him what he was on and asked him if I can have some of that sh*t.
Round where I live and work, must be a lot of people on the same sh*t. I'd make a very good guess that Jeep Grand Cherokees outnumber the next most popular make of SUV on the road by 3 to 1. Man, do I get tired of seeing them! Pilots don't even make a dent in the mix around here yet....I might see a Pilot once or twice a week. When you compare the Pilot's safety record and other features to the JGC, I just can't understand anybody opting for the JGC.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Ziploc said:

Round where I live and work, must be a lot of people on the same sh*t. I'd make a very good guess that Jeep Grand Cherokees outnumber the next most popular make of SUV on the road by 3 to 1. Man, do I get tired of seeing them! Pilots don't even make a dent in the mix around here yet....I might see a Pilot once or twice a week. When you compare the Pilot's safety record and other features to the JGC, I just can't understand anybody opting for the JGC.
I think a lot of it are the incentives. 0% for 60 months is hard to turn down for some folks. Regardless what the POS will be worth in 60 months!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
OOOOH...I smell a street race coming on...

RipRocK said:

Kick his butt RipRock! Take him to a racing strip and give him some PILOT ENVY.

My Step Dad has a JGC and openly admits how pathetically underpowered it is. He's not on anything, and seriously considering upgrading to an AWD Honda Element...heehee!...(I'd still consider that an upgrade considering Jeep's reliability and quality issues:) )

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: OOOOH...I smell a street race coming on...

74PILOTMOM said:

Kick his butt RipRock! Take him to a racing strip and give him some PILOT ENVY.

[ S N I P P E D ]

...and you couldn't have picked a better member, 74PILOTMOM, to give someone PILOT ENVY than one "Super Hung Member"... :eek: :D

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Better engrave that somewhere on your H-P.org license plate frame

so he can read it while he's behind you

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Ziploc said:
...When you compare the Pilot's safety record and other features to the JGC, I just can't understand anybody opting for the JGC.
Well, I actually have both and part of what sold the JGC was $24k price with 0% interest. They are definitely different vehicles - the Pilot is better in most categories, but I wouldn't drive it all the same places I drive the Jeep.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Ziploc said:
I know. Around here, the JGC Ltd. edition is actually stickered at least a couple of grand more than the EX-L and you're right, the ratio is about 3 to 1 or even 4 to 1, compared to the Pilot. I don't get it at all. But hey, it's their money, let them be. But don't be coming to me and try to tell me that the JGC is a better car and a better buy than the Pilot.

I'll see if that colleague of mine eases off tomorrow about trying to make a case for his JGC, but if he doesn't, then, I'll have to bring out the artillery and cite all the awards and the reviews the Pilot have received. That should shut'em up.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
tim.s said:
Well, I actually have both and part of what sold the JGC was $24k price with 0% interest. They are definitely different vehicles - the Pilot is better in most categories, but I wouldn't drive it all the same places I drive the Jeep.
tim, sorry, didn't mean any disrespect towards you when I started posting about my co-worker and JGC. But he started it :D I was just eating my lunch, minding my own business when he came over and started asking me all these questions about my Pilot.

One thing I heard over and over again was that the Jeep still beats other SUV's hands down when it comes to ruggedness and being able to trek through the trails. 4Runner was about the only car that supposedly is as rugged or comes close to the JGC in that department. Any idea as to why that is? Is the JGC's frame just designed and built in some special way? I often heard the word, "unibody frame" when people discussed those merits in an SUV. Does that have anything to do with it? Thanks.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Re: Re: Roll-over

ramirami said:

agree with you there...

and the blazers got 1 star :mad:

I know, Wife still has her Jimmy, and she rolled it a few months ago, but it did hold up just fine?? Lots of snow in the bank to cushion the fall...

Anyone heard when the Pilot will be getting the roll over testing done?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sellng a used Jeep is like selling a used Caravan. There must have been 29 zillion produced each year and they are all listed in the paper together in the used car ads. Never seen a Pilot ad, only once an MDX, and very rarely an Oddssey. I never want a hugely mass produced vehicle again....to hard to sell.

·
Registered
121 Posts
RipRock -

Our Pilots are not designed for serious off-roading, which is fine with me and probably most of the other owners. The JGC and 4Runner are built with more off-road capability; higher ground clearance, a true 4-wheel drive system, better low range gearing, etc. However, we all know most owners of SUV's rarely take their vehicles off paved roads and only want AWD for snow and rain. Our Pilots are perfect fits for the vast majority.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Was this a new test or the previous test? I looked at the website and it was not in the latest releases. The Pacific was the star of the latest test group.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Definitely better ground clearance and more wheel travel help in the off-road department - 2 things our Pilots are short on. But, hell, Jersey has become extremely short on places I can actually go off road, so no skin off my nose.

but if anybody's argument is that they got a JGC for off-roadability, then tell them they should have bought a Land Rover. :p

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Re: Roll-over

colorider said:
It will be interesting to see how it does in the roll-over test. The MDX and the Aztec :16: both got a 4-star rating
Gee, the Aztec is such a dog I thought it would rollover quite easily. :D

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Nothing new here

The NHTSA crash test results have been out for a while. At least since February when I first started researching the Pilot (as well as other cars). I've been waiting for the roll over ratings and also the offset crash test results from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (which insurance companies give a lot of weight to when deciding on rates).

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ratings.htm

1 - 20 of 55 Posts