Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife loves her 03 Pilot and recently voluntold me either freshen it up a bit or replace it.
Thrifty guy I am, I am proceeding to freshen it up.
Car has been a real soldier - I had the timing belt changed @ 120K.
Had rebuilt tranny put in a year ago.. Other than that, just oil, brakes and batteries.

1. The suspension is original, loose, rattles and needs alignment.
I am thinking all new suspension - struts, arms, bushes, joints, etc. I will DIY.
Any recommendations on parts? I see some incredibly cheap kits on eBay - I assume they are Chinese.
Amazon and Rockauto look like good options as well.

2. The ignition key tumbler is shot. I have kept it alive with liberal graphite but it is on its last leg. Currently we just leave the key in it and make sure to lock it every time we walk away. FLAPS seem to offer an Locksmart, Intermotor or Genuine "exact fit" replacement for around $200+/- but I am not getting a warm fuzzy on a bolt on and go. Anyone have experience with this? Other option is take one off a parts car. Not sure if I will have smart key/transponder issues or not with an 03.

I am also going to take on the HVAC panel lighting but that seems to be pretty well covered on here - plenty to research.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,047 Posts
For rear shocks KYB and Monroe seem to be the two most popular on this forum. I replaced the rears with KYB a few years ago and have been happy with them. I thought they were close to OEM feel, but others have said they are stiffer and Monroe is closer to the OEM feel.
I haven’t had to touch the front suspension yet so can’t offer any input there.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The key is sticking because some of the wafers (tumblers) have worn, and no longer follow the key indents. If you take it apart and remove the bad wafers, it should work fine again. If you replace the ignition, you will have to have the dealership reprogram the computer, as the immobilizer will prevent the new key from starting the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks road2cycle - I saw that both the Monroe & KYB were readily available.

S TMech, great point. I have taken apart ignition switches before but never thought of just gutting the cylinder. Cost for new part $0!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I did the suspension job on my '03 last summer at 130k. It transformed the vehicle.

I used KYB complete struts and shocks, ProForged lower control arms. I would buy both again.

I used Honda parts for everything else - sway bar links, tie rod ends, bushings, nuts and bolts. They're not that much more expensive, and to me, the reduced risk of a poor fit was worth it.

There's a lot of good guidance on the forum for this work. I think the most important trick is to start irrigating all the bolts with your favorite penetrating oil every other day for a week before you do it. An 18" breaker bar got everything apart with no trouble after I did that. Also, be careful with your speed sensors as you're taking it apart. I damaged one and made more work for myself.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I picked up a set of Gabriel Ultra Premium for $72 on Ebay, for the back of My '07 Pilot.
No issues. I've only replaced my front sway bar links (cheapo Ebay deals).
Might not hurt to have the alignment done and let them tell you what components are worn, just don't give em the free reign to replace, just report what you need.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I picked up a set of Gabriel Ultra Premium for $72 on Ebay, for the back of My '07 Pilot.
No issues. I've only replaced my front sway bar links (cheapo Ebay deals).
Might not hurt to have the alignment done and let them tell you what components are worn, just don't give em the free reign to replace, just report what you need.
I did replace my lower control arms on front also. They were easy to do, and worth it $70 for both on Ebay.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I replaced almost every darn part in the front on one my 06's due to wear and tear ... The boss here also wants a refresh on the pilot so I'm doing the 2" lift kit . it already is wearing 255's for sneakers atm installing a trailer hitch spare tire mount to hold a full size tire like a hummer and a rack with lights etc etc... KYB for the shocks tried to stay with things close to OEM ..I noticed that when you purchase an american made part for these pilot it rusts out quick. Things to watch out for when replacing parts is to make sure you have the same part cv axles are an example... purchased a set from advanced ...autozone also BOTH sent me ones that were 1" shorter then the oem ..rock auto sent me the correct ones ..also rock auto is a vendor here on these forums if you let them know that your a member here when you order something they keep sending you heavy discount coupons for your next order... it helps :)

Welcome to the Forums !

Reactions: oldcomputech

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thanks road2cycle - I saw that both the Monroe & KYB were readily available.

S TMech, great point. I have taken apart ignition switches before but never thought of just gutting the cylinder. Cost for new part $0!
If you take the lock cylinder apart, I think that you will find a couple of worn out wafers right where the key inserts. You can tell the bad ones because they stick out of the bare cylinder when you put in the key. Just pull the bad wafers, reassemble, and you are back in business. There is a good YouTube video out there on 2003 Honda Odyssey Ignition sticking. The gal does the whole repair and shows all the steps.

·
Administrator
15,585 Posts
When looking for parts at the front end, get loaded struts. That's a pre assembled strut and spring, also get a new top bushing. Replace front and rear sway bar bushings as well.

·
Registered
858 Posts
My wife loves her 03 Pilot and recently voluntold me either freshen it up a bit or replace it.
Thrifty guy I am, I am proceeding to freshen it up.
Car has been a real soldier - I had the timing belt changed @ 120K.
Had rebuilt tranny put in a year ago.. Other than that, just oil, brakes and batteries.

1. The suspension is original, loose, rattles and needs alignment.
I am thinking all new suspension - struts, arms, bushes, joints, etc. I will DIY.
Any recommendations on parts? I see some incredibly cheap kits on eBay - I assume they are Chinese.
Amazon and Rockauto look like good options as well.

GeorgiaPilot, here is my 2 cents:

I have replace many of the suspension parts on my 2003 (with 208k miles). I started with Amazon for parts, now I like RockAuto because it's easier to tell what you are getting: I am no longer buying the cheapest parts.

Moog sway bar bushings front and back-- working well
Detroit Axle (Amazon) front sway bar links--junk, already failed
O'reilly and Mevotech front sway bar links--they have zerks, look much better than DA ones
Evans-Fischer lower control arms, cheap Chinese from Amazon--so far, so good
KYB loaded front struts from RockAuto--just installed, work great, look exactly like OEM Honda
KYB rear shocks (RockAuto}--just arrived, parts look good, they are made in Mexico at a new KYB factory.

That's my two cents on the parts question. I have shifted away from Amazon for auto parts, there are too many cheap suppliers that change their names, here today, gone tomorrow. I have moved to using RockAuto and not buying the cheapest, but instead getting mid-grade or OEM equivalent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts