Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am taking delivery of a 2017 Pilot LX AWD with 40k km (25k miles) on Wednesday. It's CPO and I also added the 8year/200k km Honda Plus.
This is supposed to be our family car in rural Canada for the next 15+ years.
We also have a Nissan Leaf for all the short trips around town, so the Pilot will be primarily used for longer trips.
I read through the forum quite a bit and am very thankful for all I learned already! Thank you all!
I would really appreciate your help with the following questions:
1) What should I check when I am taking delivery next week?
2) What should I do / don't do to keep this Pilot alive as long as possible?

From what I read so far, I should do the following. Please correct me...
a) disable VCM (with S-VCM?)
b) change oil and transmission fluid regularly (not with DW-1)
c) install a transmission cooler

Thanks again for your help. I look forward to be part of this community.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll use this check list - Thanks for this :)

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carfax is available but doesn't list any Maintenance / Service. It was registered as a personal vehicle in Ontario (I am also in Ontario). It has a damage claim of 3000 to the rear (police report also on Carfax) at the end of 2019.
I couldn't see any damage and as it's sold by a Honda Dealer I am quite confident that it was just a small accident.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. All your comments are very helpful. I just mailed the checklist to the salesman to which he replied it is quite extensive :) So fingers crossed they do there best to get the payment from me on Wednesday. I’ll report back on how it went. Any additional comments are very much appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Use only 87 octane top tier fuel, I have had good luck with Esso 87 and it's the only fuel I use now. As was said previously, check the transmission fluid and change it if it is dark and get a transmission cooler installed asap. Also get the car Rustchecked or Krowned before winter to protect the undercarriage from the ravages of winter driving. You were lucky to find a 17 with such low mileage and able to get it Honda Certified. Good thing to have the extended factory warranty too.
Thanks Hondamon

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi All,
Thanks again for your guidance and help. I took delivery yesterday and spent almost 3h at the dealership. The sales guy didn’t know anything about the details of a car, so got a technician who wanted to convince me that the car didn’t have a dip stick for the transmission.... In the end I was able to speak and go through the car with a very knowledgeable tech who could answer all my questions and also provided useful insights.
After some discussion they provided the CPO checklist and also a copy of what they had actually done to get it ready.
Overall it went well and I was happy to be prepared with the info you and the forum in general provided.
Transmission fluid was a nice red and oil looked new as well. Wipers, Air filters and battery where changed and brakes were done.
I am glad I sent the check list in advance because it might have triggered some of those maintenance items.
Spending close to 40% less Including the expense of 8y/200k km Honda Plus compared to list price seems worth it and am happy with the few imperfections it already has.
Thanks again and always safe travels

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.