Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am taking delivery of a 2017 Pilot LX AWD with 40k km (25k miles) on Wednesday. It's CPO and I also added the 8year/200k km Honda Plus.
This is supposed to be our family car in rural Canada for the next 15+ years.
We also have a Nissan Leaf for all the short trips around town, so the Pilot will be primarily used for longer trips.
I read through the forum quite a bit and am very thankful for all I learned already! Thank you all!
I would really appreciate your help with the following questions:
1) What should I check when I am taking delivery next week?
2) What should I do / don't do to keep this Pilot alive as long as possible?

From what I read so far, I should do the following. Please correct me...
a) disable VCM (with S-VCM?)
b) change oil and transmission fluid regularly (not with DW-1)
c) install a transmission cooler

Thanks again for your help. I look forward to be part of this community.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
a) is a must. I like S-VCM
b) I'd stick with your DW-1 for now, drain and fill regularly until we have more success stories of aftermarket fluids on 3rd gens.
c) I would monitor my transmission temperature first (especialy since your in Canada) to see if you have a need.
S-VCM could be the answer for solving a lot of our issues. Even our transmission issues.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nail Grease. I'll order it. Any recommendations on checks I should perform at delivery?

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll use this check list - Thanks for this :)

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
Thanks Nail Grease. I'll order it. Any recommendations on checks I should perform at delivery?
My greatest fear is the transmission.
Take a white cloth and see if the ATF is brite red.
On the test drive. Make sure your not having any small shifting flares. At highway speed, lock in the cruise control, watch the rpm gauge for any erratic fluctuating behavior.
Plug in your OBD II scanner and see if there are any stored codes.
Are there any maintenance records?
How does it have such low miles for a 2017?
Carfax?

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carfax is available but doesn't list any Maintenance / Service. It was registered as a personal vehicle in Ontario (I am also in Ontario). It has a damage claim of 3000 to the rear (police report also on Carfax) at the end of 2019.
I couldn't see any damage and as it's sold by a Honda Dealer I am quite confident that it was just a small accident.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
Carfax is available but doesn't list any Maintenance / Service. It was registered as a personal vehicle in Ontario (I am also in Ontario). It has a damage claim of 3000 to the rear (police report also on Carfax) at the end of 2019.
I couldn't see any damage and as it's sold by a Honda Dealer I am quite confident that it was just a small accident.

If you are worried about the rear accident.

Take a flash light and look under the rear of the vehicle.

Since it's CPO you should be fine but the plastic pieces in the rear below the bumper are separate pieces.

Make sure all the clips are connected, bolts are tight and you should be able to see enough of the rear bumper bar to see if its been bent or twisted.

20200717_183953.jpg

That's the drive side end of the bumper bar reinforcement. If it doesn't have a tow hitch and no kick sensor then you should be able to run your hands along whatever you can't see.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
It just depends on how far you want to dig into the accident. Make sure the liftgate is aligned properly, opens, closes smoothly and locks with no issues. Nothing wrong with laying on your back and inspecting the bumper support under the cover. Make sure the spare tire lowers and raises. The cable can be streched when then spare tire is hit in a rear end collision.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
813 Posts
If you don't want to spend the money on the S-VCM, you could just press the gas a little harder every once in a while to fire up all 6 cylinders. The S-VCM is a really good option compared to this. I also found a lot of paint imperfections on my Pilot so maybe you could look out for those. My Pilot mostly have them on the doors, and the minor ones are on the hood.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. All your comments are very helpful. I just mailed the checklist to the salesman to which he replied it is quite extensive :) So fingers crossed they do there best to get the payment from me on Wednesday. I’ll report back on how it went. Any additional comments are very much appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Tell me the vehicle is CPO and eligible for the Honda Care extended warranty? If so, that certainly eases the mind.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Use only 87 octane top tier fuel, I have had good luck with Esso 87 and it's the only fuel I use now. As was said previously, check the transmission fluid and change it if it is dark and get a transmission cooler installed asap. Also get the car Rustchecked or Krowned before winter to protect the undercarriage from the ravages of winter driving. You were lucky to find a 17 with such low mileage and able to get it Honda Certified. Good thing to have the extended factory warranty too.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Use only 87 octane top tier fuel, I have had good luck with Esso 87 and it's the only fuel I use now. As was said previously, check the transmission fluid and change it if it is dark and get a transmission cooler installed asap. Also get the car Rustchecked or Krowned before winter to protect the undercarriage from the ravages of winter driving. You were lucky to find a 17 with such low mileage and able to get it Honda Certified. Good thing to have the extended factory warranty too.
Thanks Hondamon

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi All,
Thanks again for your guidance and help. I took delivery yesterday and spent almost 3h at the dealership. The sales guy didn’t know anything about the details of a car, so got a technician who wanted to convince me that the car didn’t have a dip stick for the transmission.... In the end I was able to speak and go through the car with a very knowledgeable tech who could answer all my questions and also provided useful insights.
After some discussion they provided the CPO checklist and also a copy of what they had actually done to get it ready.
Overall it went well and I was happy to be prepared with the info you and the forum in general provided.
Transmission fluid was a nice red and oil looked new as well. Wipers, Air filters and battery where changed and brakes were done.
I am glad I sent the check list in advance because it might have triggered some of those maintenance items.
Spending close to 40% less Including the expense of 8y/200k km Honda Plus compared to list price seems worth it and am happy with the few imperfections it already has.
Thanks again and always safe travels

1 - 15 of 15 Posts