Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at installing an amplifier and new door speakers. For now, I'll be keeping the stock head unit. I have never installed an amp before so I have a few questions.

The amp I'm thinking of using is the Rockford-Fosgate 501X. It has both line and pre-amp level inputs. For speakers, I'm looking at the Infinity 6000cs in the front (with tweeter in upper door panel) and the Infinity Reference 6002i in the rear.

Here's my questions:

1. How do I "tap" into the the h/u output to supply the amplifier input? Do I just cut the factory speaker wires, run the amp inputs and and then run the amp return back to the dash and hook up to the other side of the wire I cut? Is there a harness made so I don't have to cut?

2. What about the subwoofer? If I don't want to get a dedicated amp for the sub, do I just leave it connected to factory stereo or disconnect and live without it?

3. Has anybody verified that the tweeters fit in the upper door panel? I thought I saw a picture that somebody had taken with them installed, but couldn't find it again when doing a search.

4. Any suggestions on a convenient place to mount the crossovers for the front component set? Do they need to be accessible or can I bury them in the dash or the door? (well secured so they don't rattle, of course)

5. I've seen lots of recommendations for the 6002i's. They also come in a slimline version. Crutchfield recommended the slimline version but it looks like others have used the regular version. Comments?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I try answering these as I find the example threads, hopefully someone else will fill in the rest. Scanning through the threads in the Audio and Electronics forum some more will help too.

3 - Yes, jfrano did a surface mount tweeter install in the doors. See photo here.

Athough if you want to replace the dash tweeters, they come out easily - as shown here.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
4 - You might be able to fit a component speaker cross over inside the door. It only needs to be accessible if you get one with a selective cross over frequency (although you usually set it once and then leave it).

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
2 - If you are going to get an amp for the subwoofer, then you probably want to change the subwoofer to something that can actually handle the power.

Read through these threads, they include descriptions, pictures, and diagrams for replacing the sub and some discussion on amps.

Install by Luis

Schematic showing the ring removal and trim plate for deeper mounting.

Another sub install discussion.

If you don't get a sub upgrade or a sub amp, then leaving it or disconnecting it will be up to your personal preference. If your new door speakers sound better without it, then disconnect it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts