Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! So I’ve been wanting a Pilot forever!! Finally in the position to buy a used one, the one i wanted was a 2015 ex with 52miles! But we missed it, wanted to sell our old car for more than the dealer would give us for it. Anywho now theres another 2012 pilot exl with 87k miles for $16k I looked at the carfax, shows regular maintenance. What kind of repairs will I be looking at? I know alot say @108k to replace the timing belt, water pump, anything else I should be considered about? Are there any years, I shouldn’t consider? I really like the 2nd generation. Thanks so much! This site is a wealth of Pilot knowledge! ✌

·
Registered
11,505 Posts
Honda recommends the timing belt water pump job to be done at 105k or 7 years. A 2012 should have had the belt replaced back in 2019. If this has not been replaced, I'd hope to get them to knock off $1000-$1500 to get this service done.
I'd also plan on disabling the VCM to keep the engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time.
It be great to know what maintenance has been done.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
I serviced my timing belt at mileage, not age, although the two were close.

A-frame (control arms) bushings, sway bar bushings. Engine mounts (front and rear).
Check for DTCs/freeze frames. You will be looking for any transmission error codes or misfires.
Check the front and back valve covers for leaks. Nearby spool valve assy. Front ones have a tendency to leak onto the alternator and fry it.
Check the accessory belt hydraulic tensioner - any squeaking/squealing/roller vibrations - best done on cold start.

Depending on where it was driven - check suspension for wear, steering rack for any free play and leaks. Listen to wheel hub bearings - these had an unusual short life on mine, although, have been fine since replacement (knock on wood). Check calipers for sticking/uneven pad wear.

Basically, the usual used car stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts