Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Pilot Touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, gang! Just bought a 2013 Pilot Touring today, so as a big fan of "enthusiast" forums, figured I may as well get started properly. Have been hanging around "TacomaWorld" a lot lately while working on my truck, and I expect to probably find a comparable wealth of useful info and inane discussion here as well.

Any Uber drivers around here?
My wife and I have been driving for Uber & Lyft for the past 2+ years, using a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica and a 2005 Dodge Caravan. We have been shopping for a suitable replacement for the Caravan for quite a while, with a very restrictive list of features we wanted. Our selections were limited to the following:
  • maybe another, newer Tacoma double cab
  • Acura MDX
  • perhaps a newer Tacoma
  • Infiniti QX60
  • hmmmm... or maybe a nice 2nd Gen Tacoma...

Today I spotted a 2013 Pilot online, at Grants Pass Toyota of all places (NOT a Lithia dealership!), and I've been wanting to try one of those anyway, so I rolled over there in my old Tacoma to check it out...
Well, this Pilot is da bomb - I called my wife right away to come over and drive it, and we both agreed, it has ALL of the many features we wanted for an Uber car, plus a few more. And it crushes any measly Tacoma for comfort... SOLD!

...and I found Piloteers.org right away, so that I could find out how to disable the always-on Daytime Running Lights. Anyone care to discuss why those are terrible for Uber cars?

Now if we can get a grip on this COVID thing we'll be rolling...
Stay Safe.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
500 Posts
Welcome to the group. I've thought about driving Uber to make some extra cash, but my previous car (Subaru) wasn't reliable enough. Once I get my Pilot fixed up, I'll look into it again. But why are DRL bad for Uber drivers?

·
Registered
2013 Pilot Touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, my statement of responsible headlight usage: If I am driving my car on a road, my headlights are on, any time day or night. I turn them on. When I turn them off, I want them to be off. This is always a conscious decision.

That said, most of my Uber driving has been night shift, and the following situations have occurred and will again:
  • Dropping off a passenger, they request "pull into the driveway, but turn your lights off, please," usually accompanied with "my mom's gonna kill me" or "don't want to wake up grandma," etc. etc.
  • Making a pickup, I get a text that says, "please park down the street, I'll be there in 2 minutes," while the windows are fogging and my lights are shining into somebody's bedroom
  • Routinely and as a matter of course, I always kill the lights when turning into a driveway late at night for a dropoff. People have thanked me and tipped me for that.
Also, when parked in the Uber queue at the airport, most drivers around here consider it rude to have your stupid headlights shining into their rearview just because you want to run your heater or AC.

okay, I'm sure I will think of more later - Thanks for asking ; - )

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
500 Posts
First of all, my statement of responsible headlight usage: If I am driving my car on a road, my headlights are on, any time day or night. I turn them on. When I turn them off, I want them to be off. This is always a conscious decision.

That said, most of my Uber driving has been night shift, and the following situations have occurred and will again:
  • Dropping off a passenger, they request "pull into the driveway, but turn your lights off, please," usually accompanied with "my mom's gonna kill me" or "don't want to wake up grandma," etc. etc.
  • Making a pickup, I get a text that says, "please park down the street, I'll be there in 2 minutes," while the windows are fogging and my lights are shining into somebody's bedroom
  • Routinely and as a matter of course, I always kill the lights when turning into a driveway late at night for a dropoff. People have thanked me and tipped me for that.
Also, when parked in the Uber queue at the airport, most drivers around here consider it rude to have your stupid headlights shining into their rearview just because you want to run your heater or AC.

okay, I'm sure I will think of more later - Thanks for asking ; - )
Okay. But DRL usually only come on when the car is in gear, not in park, so half of the scenarios you mention wouldn't really apply. Plus they aren't at full brightness, they're a dimmed version of low beams. That said, I think it would be nice to have a manual override switch for DRL, but some locations require them to be on so disabling them isn't an option for some people.

·
Registered
2013 Pilot Touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
...although disabling them doesn't require that you drive around with your headlights off thereafter. On this car the DRLs can only be off with the parking brake on.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the Pilot purchase.

I’m on Tacomaworld as well, and this forum has the same wealth of knowledge that you’d find there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts