Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my VCM muzzler product in the mail today. I installed it on a 2104 Pilot. I got the simple one with an 84ohm resistor. Now I know I'm supposed to get a check engine light which will go away in a few days, but the traction control light went on too and the temp gauge went up past "hot" within a 1/2 block. Yikes! Will this correct itself too?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
You followed the directions and installed this in your stone-cold engine, right? And the connectors and resistor are seated and protected from accidental grounding, right? All these things are important.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the engine was warm, not hot or cold. It is definitely plugged in properly and not accidentally grounded. I zip tied it to prevent that.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Let it go completely cold then try again.

The PCM reads the VCMuzzler sensor value change as an error when the engine is not cold at installation. There are several (3 I think) temp sensors in different places, and an error is set when one changes but the others don't Done stone cold, the new error amount is "learned" by the PCM on start-up. The sensor you are adding the resistors to is particular to VCM operation, also participates in the way the gauge reads. I find that's about half a gauge tick lower with the resistor in, not enough to notice unless you are looking hard at it. The big thing is that it doesn't interfere with cooling fan operation, at least not that I've been able to notice.

I drove with my tablet in the car for a while with OBD connected, tracking all the temp sensors readings along with ambient temps and load. No changes to readings except for that sensor and the dash gauge indication. Everything else quite normal. Once in a while on a warm day and sitting for extended stop in traffic, the ECO light will come on briefly while until the tricked sensor drops as airflow resumes. Most are aware that guage reading is seriously, um, 'dampened' between 185ºF and about 210ºF actual coolant temps. The engine will see that cycling temperature as the load changes and fans cycle on and off, while the gauge is nice and "nothing to worry about here!" steady. Operation is north of an "idiot gauge" but not by a huge amount. 5+ years in, it works just fine for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Thank you. It's night time now so it's cooling off. Can I just start it up again tomorrow and try again? Or do I have to put it back to original, drive for a day, wait for it to get cold again, then reinstall? Will the coolant temp gauge eventually work close to normal? You appear to say so.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
If the VCMuzzler is installed correctly, the only alert you might get should be the sensor mismatch warning. the high gauge reading and the other warning lights are not normal. Hence my earlier questions about your installation. The gauge should be within half a tick of previous reading, as it reads a very dampened average of multiple sensors. Double-check your installation, including no shorts in exposed wiring to ground.

My gen 2 unit has the resistors in connectors that don't expose any wiring. Somewhat different from the one you show in your picture, the one with the exposed resistor and conductors.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll take a look to check for grounding as well as remove it to check it for continuity of the circuit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out that one of the connectors won't click in completely. I had to zip tie it together. All is well now and it works great.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I went for the SVCM model- no resisters to change and a for sure override if over heating.

I'm sure this one will work well too however- I read lots of good reviews, and was even PM'ing on here with the founder 'Verbatim'.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I appreciate the SVCM but I've realized that I'm a cheap bastard. It worked well on the maiden voyage to the bike shop.. Not even a check engine light. It was the 84ohm resistor. Wondering if should push it and use the 65ohm. I think that's what the lesser resistance was. It came with 4 different resistors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts