Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... Yesterday, a number of lights started flashing, including the engine maintenance light - on my 2013 Honda Pilot. I made it to the dealership and was told this morning that piston 1 is misfiring due to carbon buildup on the sparkplugs - because of excessive oil burning? They also mentioned that the bandaid fix was to replace the plugs and receive an oil change. The 'real' fix would involve replacing the pistons which will cost around $5,000 CAD.

For now, I've opted for the bandaid fix, and research has brought me to this forum. From what I understand, I should also purchase and install the VCM Muzzler through Verbatim?

Thanks for this community!

Darren

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Second one in a week with this issue, wonder if the cool weather is exacerbating the condition.

Check out this thread and specifically this post:

Credit to @Nail Grease for laying out a very detailed plan of attack that will hopefully get your Pilot back on track.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,367 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Bummer it had to be because of that issue. At least you found the best Pilot forum on the web.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,377 Posts
What's the current mileage (or km)? Please keep us updated on how things go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the current mileage (or km)? Please keep us updated on how things go.
Approx 120,000 kms. A year ago I had Honda replace the timing belt and water pump expecting to keep the car for quite a while longer.

After explaining to the Honda dealership the VCM details outlined on this forum they completed the bandaid fix (replacing the sparkplugs along with an oil change) without yet charging me. The technician told the service manager that piston 1 misfiring is related to the VCM issue and they're now working with Honda Canada to see if they will cover the full repair - which they told me could take 1-2 weeks to resolve. I'll post here after hearing from them. In the meantime, I've ordered the S-VCM controller.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,863 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,367 Posts
Glad to hear Honda worked with you on this. $1000 bill is a lot better than $5000.

Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 9 of 9 Posts