Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search for this specific issue but no luck. My week-old "new" 2018 Pilot with about 3,600 miles on it has, I think, the worst cruise control I've ever seen. I've abandoned the ACC cruise for now and am just talking about the "normal" cruise control. I set it and it seems to catch on, then might hold that speed for 5 second or so, or it might drop down 2-3 MPH... then accelerate back up to 1 MPH over what I set... then drop again -- kind of always "hovering within 2-3 MPH" of what I set it at -- but never just staying on the speed that I set! Is the Pilot known for weird cruise control, or is this just me? If it's the latter, I'm hoping it's fixable under warranty, because it pretty much SUCKS so far... Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you are on a totally level roadway for several miles, the cruise control should keep your mph at a constant point. If yours isn't, have it looked at.

Of course, on small hills, the mph may rise & fall a couple of mph. If it didn't, it would be an uncomfortable ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are on a totally level roadway for several miles, the cruise control should keep your mph at a constant point. If yours isn't, have it looked at. Of course, on small hills, the mph may rise & fall a couple of mph. If it didn't, it wouldn't be an uncomfortable ride.
Good point — and today I was definitely not on a flat level roadway — but I’ve driven that route a million times with other vehicles and the Pilot cruise was way less consistent. Still I’ve been the suspect “human factor” many times in puzzling situations so I’ll check my manual to see if I’m doing something wrong and play around with it a little more....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I can ask this another way, too — are most of you happy with how your CC works, in either or both modes?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I guess I can ask this another way, too — are most of you happy with how your CC works, in either or both modes?

Happy with mine but not at the comfort level I wish to be with ACC. I guess that will take some time getting used to and playing with the distance settings. But it does the job well, maintains an average steady speed and improves mpg numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
What you are describing sounds like a side effect of using the “ECON“ mode. When that is on cruise control will be allowed to “drift“ 1 to 2 miles an hour above or below your set speed. Are you using ECON mode?

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
Happy with mine but not at the comfort level I wish to be with ACC. I guess that will take some time getting used to and playing with the distance settings. But it does the job well, maintains an average steady speed and improves mpg numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACc does take using to get used to. I now like, after 40k, to vary distance to the car in front depending on traffic volume.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is my second Honda and I've noticed it doesn't adjust on inclines for crap like every other car I've ever owned. Initially with my '13 CRV I thought it was a lack of power thing, but my '19 EX Pilot does same. Speed drops on hills then downshifts to speed back up. Meanwhile my other car ('16 Golf Sportwagen) adjusts like it should and rarely required a downshifts to play catch-up on the same inclines on the highway.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
On our '16 Touring, I use the S mode when in areas with inclines and declines and that seems to help the cruise control stay at a steady speed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
This is my second Honda and I've noticed it doesn't adjust on inclines for crap like every other car I've ever owned. Initially with my '13 CRV I thought it was a lack of power thing, but my '19 EX Pilot does same. Speed drops on hills then downshifts to speed back up. Meanwhile my other car ('16 Golf Sportwagen) adjusts like it should and rarely required a downshifts to play catch-up on the same inclines on the highway.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Ideally, we shouldn't be using cruise control or any variation of it when driving up or down hill, around curves or on hazardous roads. Ideally. Do not forget the transmissions on these vehicles differ - your golf was a 6 speed transmission, the Pilot employs more gears. Plus, these vehicles have different cruise configurations. Read more here: Why is it dangerous to use cruise control on hills or winding roads? - The Globe and Mail

·
Registered
243 Posts
My 2018 Odyssey had the 9 speed tranny and it seemed to vary the speed more in hilly terrain than my Pilot does with the 6 speed tranny. Remember it is all about the manufacturers chasing the high MPG numbers. As far as ACC, never use it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did a search for this specific issue but no luck. My week-old "new" 2018 Pilot with about 3,600 miles on it has, I think, the worst cruise control I've ever seen. I've abandoned the ACC cruise for now and am just talking about the "normal" cruise control. I set it and it seems to catch on, then might hold that speed for 5 second or so, or it might drop down 2-3 MPH... then accelerate back up to 1 MPH over what I set... then drop again -- kind of always "hovering within 2-3 MPH" of what I set it at -- but never just staying on the speed that I set! Is the Pilot known for weird cruise control, or is this just me? If it's the latter, I'm hoping it's fixable under warranty, because it pretty much SUCKS so far... Thanks for any input!
I'm on my 5th Pilot, and all the cruise controls were consistent in holding set speed. 2011 and 2016 were touring models and i didn't like the ACC mode of either. But I believe my dislike was more a product of the vehicles that my car was trying to keep up with. If vehicle in front had a driver who patted the accelerator or didn't have his cruise control engaged my vehicle would surge and slow depending on that car in front. I didn't like to have to depend on the vehicle in front of me to set my speed. I now have a 2019 EX-L Nav/Resi with the same features and engaged the ACC behind a vehicle that definitely didn't have his cruise control on as my vehicle was hunting for the speed to keep up with that vehicle. I'm just not sold on the ACC feature and have it off. My two cents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The biggest problem I had with ACC was with slower traffic ahead and merging traffic in the right lane. I am now aware of how it will respond so I disable it until I have a clear path ahead. I like it, I just drove from the Bay Area (California) to LA and averaged 31mpg! Highest was about 33...cruising in non-eco mode 65-70 mph. My 4cyl RAV4 never achieved that kind of mileage. Since it's difficult to fill the tank to the same level every fill-up, I now rely on the vehicle calculated mileage as a more reliable mpg figure. Works for me...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts