Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased my first Honda. A pilot at that. Dreaded 2003, with 196k. It leaks oil and the front strut... heck everything in the front end was bad. I’ve replaced the struts, lower control arms with lower ball joints, tie rods inner/outer, and sway bar links. We put new tires on today. Some muddys, 😎
only owned it a month.. oh yes an oil change and an air filter as well yesterday. The previous owner was a smoker so it stunk when we got it.. it’s better now. Car bomb and air fresheners galore. It rides like a dream now. Headed on a family vacation next week..

Other then the valve cover leak and the obvious, what should I watch out for with this vehicle?
Any info is appreciated!
Stay safe out there!
-Connor

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Other then the valve cover leak and the obvious, what should I watch out for with this vehicle?
Make sure the valve cover leak is not on top of the alternator otherwise it will be a staycation. I'd inspect the other fluids as well especially the coolant and ATF before traveling in the new-to-u Pilot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check the link now before bed thanks!
Timing belt I’m unsure of. I’m sure it’s about due!

Coolant is topped off checked that yesterday as well but the trans I did not..

What does this thing run in the rear diff for a fluid? Like 80/90?
When I got this I crawled under another one first there was two and I looked for the common rot. The first one was BADDD! The one is cherry but has some flaws.
Thanks again

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,179 Posts
Only use Honda or Acura VTM-4 fluid for the rear differential. It doesn’t use the typical gear oil that truck differentials use.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,254 Posts
This fabulous Sticky is originally intended for those who are contemplating buying a 1st generation Pilot, but ti's still chock-full of good info for someone who has recently acquired one.

And welcome to the forum. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts