Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve recently replaced the transmission in my 03 pilot. I just finished it up today actually and on the first test drive it holds on to 2nd gear and doesn’t want to shift up. Seems to drive perfect once it does finally shift. Once I let out of the throttle and it shifted and another time i didn’t think it was going to shift at all but finally did. The reman came with everything on it except pressure switches. I swapped the old switches over, which was a mistake I guess. The original transmission only has 115k but it’s also an 03 so I’m going to replace them but my question is, is it possible that’s the issue? After parking it i found it had a little to much fluid in it as well. I only drove about six miles on it and plan to drain a little fluid and put the switches in tomorrow. Any input would be appreciated I just need to get this thing running.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Were your preasure switches working on the old transmission? I would say changing them is your next step.
MaxLife ATF?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As far as I know they were working but the old trans was having some shift problems as well. I didn’t switch them then because the transmission went out before I could. I did use maxxlife atf in the new one. I had to drive it this morning to take it back to my work where I’ve been working on it. It seems to be going into second gear but has very little power and will rev pretty high before it shifts out and I’m going easy on it.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
As far as I know they were working but it was having some shift problems as well. I didn’t switch them then because the transmission went out before I could. I did use maxxlife atf. I had to drive it this morning to take it back to my work where I’ve been working on it. It seems to be going into second gear but has very little power and will rev pretty high before it shifts out and I’m going easy on it.
By your symptoms, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's the shift solinoid. Hopefully that fixes it and the rebuilt transmission proves to be a good one.
👍on the MaxLife.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really hope so. The trans has a warranty but it was such a pain to take out and put in I definitely don’t want to do it again.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Be careful using any other transmission fluid other than DW-1. Often rebuilt transmissions have very strict rules when it comes to keeping the warranty valid. If you use MaxLife, you may void the warranty.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Be careful using any other transmission fluid other than DW-1. Often rebuilt transmissions have very strict rules when it comes to keeping the warranty valid. If you use MaxLife, you may void the warranty.
What transmission fluid did Honda recommend when this 03 Pilot was new?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Was it Z1? Obviously DW-1 has taken over as what you are supposed to use. I'm not quite sure what your point is?
You said...
Be careful using any other transmission fluid other than DW-1.
  1. Well obviously I don't like myself or others being told there may be a restriction in using my/our favorite ATF :D. Especially after years of proven reliability of MaxLife.
But ya, don't void your waranty at this point if this is the case.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You said...

Well obviously I don't like myself or others being told there may be a restriction in using my/our favorite ATF. Especially after years of proven reliability of MaxLife.
But ya, don't void your waranty at this point if this is the case.
I'm just saying when you buy a remanufactured transmission, they often have very strict guidelines on how to keep the warranty valid. Often including only using Honda ATF fluid.

I understand you love MaxLife, you mention it all the time. There's no problem in that, if it works for you great! I and many other people have no problem using DW-1. So there are plenty of options for people.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I'm just saying when you buy a remanufactured transmission, they often have very strict guidelines on how to keep the warranty valid. Often including only using Honda ATF fluid.

I understand you love MaxLife, you mention it all the time. There's no problem in that, if it works for you great! I and many other people have no problem using DW-1. So there are plenty of options for people.
I am curious to know if DW-1 is a requirement by remanufacturers of older Honda transmissions, even though they were originally speced for Z1. Maybe OP would know what's on his waranty paper work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve been looking through the literature that came with the trans and it mentions the possibility of needing to add a redundant ground from the battery to the trans case specifically for the shift solenoids because they are all individually powered and then only grounded through the bolts that attach them. I have a ground run from my battery already but I’m not sure if that’s the redundant ground they mention or if I should add another one. I’m gonna call them and explain the situation to see but does anyone else have any experience with that

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I’ve been looking through the literature that came with the trans and it mentions the possibility of needing to add a redundant ground from the battery to the trans case specifically for the shift solenoids because they are all individually powered and then only grounded through the bolts that attach them. I have a ground run from my battery already but I’m not sure if that’s the redundant ground they mention or if I should add another one. I’m gonna call them and explain the situation to see but does anyone else have any experience with that
Yes, I've got 2 straps on my 04 Civic. I would add.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update..
So I’ve had the pilot at a trans shop for a little over a week now. They are having a hard time figuring out what the issue is. They seemed to think it was gonna be pressure switches at first but was then getting a code for speed censor short. They called me to see if it was the same problem I was having before the swap, which it isn’t, so it just seems like they are scratching their heads over it. The tech from moveras said it was probably a solenoid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts