Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Pilot fans!!! Me and my wife just picked up our new to us Pilot! I’m pretty excited and happy we got one and I can’t wait to go on family adventures with it! Our fit just wasn’t big enough and my square body suburban is not what she wanted to drive.
140,000 miles
EX-L

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Nice color!
Welcome to the club....

In a few minutes you will be "harassed" by people asking you if the timing belt has been replaced on your car. It's due every 100k miles or 7 years. It is often debated whether or not you can stretch that time or not....you probably can but why risk it.
If the belt breaks, your engine will have major damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy that I bought it from had the timing belt and water pump done about a month ago...the vehicle was supposed to go to is daughter for her commute to university but she isn’t going this fall so he was selling it. That’s pretty much the only reason I bought it.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
That’s a nice looking Pilot. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2020 Acura TLX A-Spec; 2006 Honda Pilot EXL- AWD
18 Posts
Nice color!
Welcome to the club....

In a few minutes you will be "harassed" by people asking you if the timing belt has been replaced on your car. It's due every 100k miles or 7 years. It is often debated whether or not you can stretch that time or not....you probably can but why risk it.
If the belt breaks, your engine will have major damage.
Man that is classic. "Harassed"..LOL
Also how maxlife atf is so much better than the fluid designed and tested by the manufacturer for decades. Just to save a couple bucks.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Man that is classic. "Harassed"..LOL
Also how maxlife atf is so much better than the fluid designed and tested by the manufacturer for decades. Just to save a couple bucks.
all in good fun. People on here know a lot and have helped me a ton.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,300 Posts
Looks, great; great buy.

EX-L or EX-L with RES?

Did you get service records? Summarize them here so we can we can all jump on the harassment bandwagon. :D For you own good, of course.

OK, my opening gambit:
  1. OEM VTM-4 fluid (if AWD)
  2. full size spare
  3. brake fluid, with flush in the correct order, starting in the driver's corner and going clockwise
  4. air filter (and check for the cracked air intake hose)
  5. 3x turkey baster empty and fill job with OEM power steering fluid
  6. hypoid gear oil for the oft-forgotten front transfer case (if AWD)
  7. Mobil 1 or Shell Rotella (sounds like a kind of squigly Italian pasta) motor oil with a non-Fram filter
  8. AVS Bugflector II (and no other pedestrian model) hood deflector
  9. see if your radiator is filled to the brim with blue (there's more to it than that, but let's start there)
  10. Valvoline MaxLife ATF, but of course (y)
Next...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
God it’s like I’ve never owned a vehicle in my entire life lol.......Is there a reason people are so crazy about this stuff.......

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
We just want you to be happy. :) And there are a few things specific to this vehicle.

Here. As a Piloteer you can enjoy a 5% discount code over at Rockauto. :)

5% Discount Code: 508F794D9D4F1F
Expires: August 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

Use it in good health...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m just giving you guys a hard time!!🤪🤪🤪🤪 I would rather know the ins and outs than have a catastrophic failure. I this this forum will be like my internet famjam

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Welcome, our new Calgarian friend.

Hours of fun and learning here. You can start by voting in our exciting polls :D:

...starting with the obligatory...
ATF: Fill Hole or Dipstick Port?

Do You Get Your Pilot Rustproofed?

EGR Valve: Clean or Replace?

How Often Do You Do an Italian Tuneup for your VTEC?

and an oldie but a goodie...

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
God it’s like I’ve never owned a vehicle in my entire life lol.......Is there a reason people are so crazy about this stuff.......
More than a few posts here are from people who give the impression that they've never owned a vehicle in their entire life.

I’m just giving you guys a hard time!!🤪🤪🤪🤪 I would rather know the ins and outs than have a catastrophic failure. I this this forum will be like my internet famjam
A timing belt failure could well be catastrophic.
Virtually all first generation Pilots are about due for their second timing belt change.
It's rare to find a used one for sale so shortly after the timing belt change has been done.
Instead, the cost usually causes the previous owner to unload the vehicle.

Then, we typically see the following exchange on the forum:
Newbie Piloteer: "Just joined the forum. Got a great deal on a 200x Pilot."
Older, wiser Piloteers: "Has the timing belt been changed recently?"
Newbie Piloteer: "Uh, I don't know. How can I tell?"
Older, wiser Piloteers: "You can't."
Newbie Piloteer: What happens if it breaks?"
Older, wiser Piloteers: "Major engine damage."
Newbie Piloteer: "How much does it cost to change the timing belt?"
Older, wiser Piloteers: "At the dealer, roughly $1K."
Newbie Piloteer: "Oh, ¢[email protected]"

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Also it doesn't matter if you've owned a vehicle before because people on here know wayyyyyy more. 😜

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you read my post they PO bought it for his daughter to commute into the city for university but is no longer going that’s the only reason he did a bunch of maintenance including the timing belt. This isn’t my first Honda with an interference engine nor will it be my last I understated the importance of regular maintenance. I did my research and made sure that the belt was done there were a lot of owners who were like “what are you talking about?” And that was the time I just turned around and walked back to my truck lol. People should know what they are getting into before buying a vehicle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts