Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the wife an 08 Steel Blue Metallic EX-L to replace her Forester. It has 162K on it but was single owner, very clean, and bought originally about an hour from me and serviced religiously at the dealer it was purchased from (about 40 times over 13 years) so says the carfax. The owners.honda site only shows maybe 20 visits so I’m not sure how good this dealer is at uploading information.

Neither the carfax or owners.honda site says timing belt was done, many of the carfax details just say “recommended service performed” I tried calling the dealer to ask for service history but they are very busy, or short-handed. So I think I may schedule an appointment to have it looked over and hopefully get a better picture of the car’s past.

I removed one of the timing belt inspection covers, pulled the fuel pump relay(that’s a pain) and had the wife bump it over until I could find marking. There is a very clear green “Honda” on it as well as a less clear string of numbers (I should have taken pictures, didn’t think of it until the cover was back on) The string of numbers looked like maybe a manufacturing code and may have had a date of “16” as in 2016. My first question is has anyone pulled a high mile belt that was still clearly marked? My logic is if the belt was original I don’t think the markings would still be visible. I planned to do the belt on whatever Pilot we got but would prefer to hold off a few months while I gather the parts to do it all (plugs, mounts, radiator, trans cooler, crossover pipe and o rings(while the coolant is drained)valve adjustment, etc.)

Secondly I found a coolant leak I’m going to have the car lot I bought it from deal with. I’ve attached a picture

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upon further inspection that pipe is ATF but I also smell coolant.. so both need to be dealt with.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
Do we need this as a duplicate post?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought my Pilot two years ago with 137K on the odometer. I had my mechanic do the same kind of inspection and he said the belt looked fine, but my water pump was starting to leak. I'm guessing my belt was original, but it's hard to prove.

Once we found the water pump leak it made sense to replace everything.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I did the Tbelt over the weekend, I got ahold of the selling and servicing dealer last week and they showed no record of it having been done.

The water pump had RTV sealant applied to the O-Ring so clearly it had been done at some point. The tensioner and idler had a lot of rust on them and I’m guessing may have been original even if the belt and water pump were done before. So my best guess as to the history is a leaking water pump got replaced after blowing coolant all over the idler and tensioner which were not replaced.

I’m happy I did it, peace of mind is priceless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts