Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Pilot Elite
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody I just picked up a 2018 Honda pilot Elite more for my wife then for me we used to have a 2012 CRVEXL. What modifications with anyone suggest to do it right away I am already looking into crossbars and the rubber floor mats.
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
John

·
Registered
402 Posts
Disable the Variable Cylinder Management system (VCM, the reliability curse for Honda V-6s) and enjoy your new vehicle! Congrats on the purchase.

How many miles?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi everybody I just picked up a 2018 Honda pilot Elite more for my wife then for me we used to have a 2012 CRVEXL. What modifications with anyone suggest to do it right away I am already looking into crossbars and the rubber floor mats.
John
Hi John, same car as me! Love it to death.

I ended up with the honda cross bars and honestly, they are not with the money. With the factory rails, there is no location to tie anything down, so christmas trees or boats or whatever you put up where cannot be fastened securely. I ended up buying some yakima mighty mounts to add some clamped down mounts. If you can find after market cross bars with integrated tie downs, go that route.

I got 3 row weathertech mats, love them. Wish I had the motivation to clean them more often.

I hear oil catch cans are a good idea for our engines...maybe i'll do that this spring. There are posts about this in this forum.

if your hood flexes at speed, just turn the rubber stoppers in the engine bay a few times to add rigidity. There are posts about this in this forum.

Thats it for me, enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Hi all. Thanks for the advice. How do I disable the VCm? 23k miles
There are several different devices that can be used to disable VCM.
Be aware that essentially you are tricking the coolant temperature sensor into thinking that then engine is colder than it actually is. It is not causing any harm to the engine, BUT you should know that if your engine were to overheat you wouldn't realize right away. Some VCM disabling devices have sensors that detect overheating and let you know. Not something to deter you from disabling it, but important to know because of course overheating is never good.

VCM Muzzler
VCM Tuner
S-VCM

·
Registered
402 Posts
SVCM and VCM Tuner II Advanced both have overheat protection built in.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Pilot Elite
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I’m definitely going to look into it. Any other things I should be on the lookout for. Think I have the 9 speed Ac. Any issues on that?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yup, the Elite has the 9 speed. There were some software updates early on with the 9 speed that really improved the transmission shifting. I assume by 2018 they were installed from the factory, but if you notice odd shifting take it to the dealer so they can check the software.

Don't hear too many complaints about the 9 speed otherwise. It has a brand new Honda transmission fluid in it that seems to hold up much better than the old DW-1 in the 6 speed, so I wouldn't worry there.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Hi all. Thanks for the advice. How do I disable the VCm? 23k miles
Congrats on the new ride! This thread has information that may help you on the available options. Which one is best depends on who you talk to.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
42 Posts
Just installed SVCM on my 2016 Pilot Elite. It's definitely worth the investment! The vehicle is way more responsive and shifts a lot smoother, also no clunky shifting when coming to a stop at a stop light. There's no delay when flooring it to go through a light that just turned from green to yellow. It's great :)

Edit: I'm also someone with little to no car literacy and have no idea how to do much car maintenance, but I was able to figure out the install using youtube videos. Hardest parts for me were figuring out how to get the engine cover off and getting the ECT1 harness thing taken out because I've got sausage fingers lmao. But once I figured those two out, I was done in like 5 minutes.

·
Registered
846 Posts
We use our 2019 Pilot for long road trips and vacations. One of the first things I did was replace the temporary spare with a matching wheel and tire. Now all five tires are the same brand and size, and the wheels are all the same. Didn't want to have a flat in the desert or some of the parks we visit (Yellowstone, Death Valley, etc) and be stuck with a small temporary tire.

The 20" size fits well under the car with no problem even with AWD. I don't have a tow package installed, but some owner's who have the Honda tow hitch have said they had no problem installing a full size spare.

·
Registered
30 Posts
John
Hey. Do you mind sharing how much you paid for it? I’m just curious.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Pilot Elite
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey. Do you mind sharing how much you paid for it? I’m just curious.
Sure!
Sticker was 38,500, dealer advertised was 33,500 we negotiated down to 31,000 plus 11,000 for my 2012 crv. So essentially we paid 20k plus taxes for the Pilot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts