Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot VP 2-WD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,
Happy to be the owner of a new to me 2008 Pilot VP that I picked up a few days ago. First SUV that I have ever owned, but should be a great vehicle for my son to grow up in. Picked it up from my local Honda Dealer, with 144,000 miles, no accidents, one previous owner and an amazing maintenance record from the day it was purchased. Timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, valve, suspension, and all major maintenance was done at 104k. It’s the Dark Cherry paint, and looks really nice when it’s in the sun, and pollen free. I feel like I really grabbed a winner, and an awesome vehicle. Just wanted to say hi!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,195 Posts
Super! Welcome to the forum.

Post pics.

What, if any, are your plans for maintenance and/or mods?

Might also wish to give this checklist a once-through, even if after the fact.

Any questions, feel free to post. :)

·
Registered
2008 Pilot VP 2-WD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
Maintenance will just be me being diligent about the normal things. Maybe new AC motor at some point, and it needs a new Subwoofer in the back to get rid of the currently blown one. To start out I will be having all windows tinted darker, and replacing the bulbs with LED equivalent ones. Since it has the projectors, I would like to get rid of the current halogen bulbs and go full LED, but keeping the stock headlight housing. There is a little bit of fading on the very top of the housing, but I think it can be wet sanded down to look new again? Wheels and tires at some point after that.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Nice find!
Is it 2wd or AWD?
IF 2wd, the first thing I'd do is disable the VCM (Variable Cylinder Management).
I use S-VCM.
This will keep the vehicle running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. This solves many known engine and transmission issues associated with this function.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Do the maintenance records show when the brake fluid was last changed?
Also, the condition of the cabin air filter can be a good indicator of whether or not the maintenance has been "amazing".
How old are the tires and what's wrong with the wheels?

·
Registered
2008 Pilot VP 2-WD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice find!
Is it 2wd or AWD?
IF 2wd, the first thing I'd do is disable the VCM (Variable Cylinder Management).
I use S-VCM.
This will keep the vehicle running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. This solves many known engine and transmission issues associated with this function.
It is 2WD. I have been reading a lot about that controller while looking through this forum. I will be ordering that this week. I’m assuming the install is pretty straightforward?

Do the maintenance records show when the brake fluid was last changed?
Also, the condition of the cabin air filter can be a good indicator of whether or not the maintenance has been "amazing".
How old are the tires and what's wrong with the wheels?
Brake fluid was last changed at 125k, along with pads and the rotors were turned. Cabin filter looks to have been done at 110k. All these were performed at my local dealer through the original owner. Tires are in good condition, at a little above half of the tread from brand new. Honestly, the wheels and tires will be nothing more than a personal preference thing for looks.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
It is 2WD. I have been reading a lot about that controller while looking through this forum. I will be ordering that this week. I’m assuming the install is pretty straightforward?
Yes, easy 5-10 min install.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot VP 2-WD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, easy 5-10 min install.
Perfect. Well that will help add to my peace of mind with the issues that are associated with that. Thank you for the link and suggestion. About to dive into a very deep interior, and exterior detailing. Are there any recommended sites for touch up paint that is factory match?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Perfect. Well that will help add to my peace of mind with the issues that are associated with that. Thank you for the link and suggestion. About to dive into a very deep interior, and exterior detailing. Are there any recommended sites for touch up paint that is factory match?
Hopefully someone can help you on paint. You may know about the paint code on the VIN Certification Label.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts

Paint code is here

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you found a well taken care of Pilot. Enjoy your new ride.

Reactions: Schiff117

·
Registered
2008 Pilot VP 2-WD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you found a well taken care of Pilot. Enjoy your new ride.
Thank you! I’m pretty excited about it. I tend to get really OCC about trying to fix and make everything perfect at once. The struggle is real. That being said, I will be getting the VCM controller done first, then replacing a few small and worn out things. Enough projects to keep me busy for a while, but happy that all major things have been done maintenance wise so I can have some peace of mind.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,195 Posts
If our friend here can do it, and he's been gracious enough to post a video, so can you. :)

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Reactions: 20Piloteer07

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
133 Posts
I put my VIN number into Hondas recall search quarry. Tells me I currently do not have any open recalls for a 2008 pilot VP.
That's a good sign that your Pilot was taken care of. Although I only recall a few recalls on my Pilot, and I think they were all airbag related, and maybe one for the LATCH system (but it could have been my other Honda)

·
Registered
2008 Pilot VP 2-WD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's a good sign that your Pilot was taken care of. Although I only recall a few recalls on my Pilot, and I think they were all airbag related, and maybe one for the LATCH system (but it could have been my other Honda)
That’s good to hear! So far it’s been driving and performing beautifully. Ordered my VCM Controller last night so I am hoping for quick shipping on that item.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts