Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I a new person, John. My pilot is a black EX with leather, bought in July of 2002. Here are the issues I have noticed:

1. Movement of drivers seat on semi-hard turns- I have noticed the TSB and will have them fix that.

2. Front left dash speaker loose cover- makes noise on bumpy roads.

3. Thumping noise when stopping either in reverse or forward- sounds like coming from exhaust to me. I wondered if it was a subtle backfire.

4. When going from reverse to drive there is hesitation in engine at first before it will go forward.

5. At one time the front left dash speaker sounded like it was blown- may be a short.

6. Creaking noise when going over bumps

7. At idle, and more noticeable when the air conditioner is on (but still audible and palpable if it's not on) is the engine going through some sort of cycle where it vibrates. The rpm's drop off slightly when this occurs. It lasts a couple seconds and then cycles back to normal idle. This is the most irritating thing I notice. I feel it through the steering wheel. Not normal.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Welcome to the board! I bought my Pilot in July 2002 as well....have 10,000 miles on it. The only issue I've had that matches with yours is the creaking over bumps. Anytime the chassis flexes, I can plainly hear the interior plastic creaking and groaning....like a $9,000 economy car. Not acceptable for a $30,000 SUV! I plan to have it looked at on my next dealer visit.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Pilot-1 said:
. . . . Not acceptable for a $30,000 SUV! . . . .
I always find quotations like this a bit humorous.

Seems that some how the $30,000 price tag makes people think that they deserve more. Could you point me to a vehical with the basic size and amentities of the Pilot, but at a lower price so I can see what part of the $30K I paid for quality rather than the other atributes?

Would you prefer they added 500 LBs to stiffen the vehical and take the gas milage hit?

Or would you prefer they design the interior with larger gaps to eliminate plastic pieces touching?

Or would you prefer they added $3000 in sounds deadening?

I kind of like mine the way it is.:2:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
josh764 said:
Hi everybody. I a new person, John. My pilot is a black EX with leather, bought in July of 2002. Here are the issues I have noticed:

3. Thumping noise when stopping either in reverse or forward- sounds like coming from exhaust to me. I wondered if it was a subtle backfire.
First, welcome to the board, josh764!!!! Keep those posts coming!

Re your No. 3 issue:

Many people--including myself--have commented on the fact that, when you come to a stop (going forward or in reverse), you can hear the kind of strange sound the gas makes sloshing in the tank. Having heard others comment on this, I recognized this sound for what it was from the outset. But, if I hadn't heard about it, I might not have realized it was coming from the gas tank....to me, it sounds like more of a "thump" than a "slosh"!
Could this be what you're hearing?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Welcome...

Welcome josh764...

Hope you find some answers to your problems here and from your Honda dealers service department.

I also hope you like it here and meet some new friends...

Don

·
Registered
411 Posts
N_Jay said:

I always find quotations like this a bit humorous.

Seems that some how the $30,000 price tag makes people think that they deserve more. Could you point me to a vehical with the basic size and amentities of the Pilot, but at a lower price so I can see what part of the $30K I paid for quality rather than the other atributes?

Would you prefer they added 500 LBs to stiffen the vehical and take the gas milage hit?

Or would you prefer they design the interior with larger gaps to eliminate plastic pieces touching?

Or would you prefer they added $3000 in sounds deadening?

I kind of like mine the way it is.:2:
N_Jay, I always get a kick out your posts too. It seems like you always get upset if anyone says anything negative about their Pilot. Then you feel you have to justify the Pilot's shortcomings by belittling the owner's concern.

Please... let's try to be helpful to fellow forum members, instead of adding to their problems. :2:

·
Registered
991 Posts
JungleJim said:

N_Jay, I always get a kick out your posts too. It seems like you always get upset if anyone says anything negative about their Pilot. Then you feel you have to justify the Pilot's shortcomings by belittling the owner's concern.

Please... let's try to be helpful to fellow forum members, instead of adding to their problems. :2:
Noticed the same. I like to hear the goods and the bads, that's what this is all about..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome aboard John!
Let see if I can help you.

#1= TBS should take care of that.

#2 = Warranty should take care of that along with #5

#3 = Should be the fuel tank- normal

#4 = Have the warranty ck your trans.

#6 = I have that problem too. Very anoying... I will complain @ the next service.

#7 = I don't have that problem. Have them ck it out.

As far as the $30.000 deal, don't feel too bad. Mercedes, BMW, Audi's are more expensive and they all have their problems. Their is no such a thing as the perfect car! Its a machine and that is why we have mechanics and warranties.
Kick back and enjoy this great piece of machine! And I hope I could help you a bit.

Aloha
Alex :1:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
BMWRT said:
Welcome aboard John!
Let see if I can help you.

#1= TBS should take care of that.

#2 = Warranty should take care of that along with #5

#3 = Should be the fuel tank- normal

#4 = Have the warranty ck your trans.

#6 = I have that problem too. Very anoying... I will complain @ the next service.

#7 = I don't have that problem. Have them ck it out.

As far as the $30.000 deal, don't feel too bad. Mercedes, BMW, Audi's are more expensive and they all have their problems. Their is no such a thing as the perfect car! Its a machine and that is why we have mechanics and warranties.
Kick back and enjoy this great piece of machine! And I hope I could help you a bit.

Aloha
Alex :1:

A brief but clear-cut, helpful reply to a new board member's concerns. Thanks, BMWRT (Alex) in Hawaii!!

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: Re: New to forum/my issues

Ziploc said:

First, welcome to the board, josh764!!!! Keep those posts coming!

Re your No. 3 issue:

Many people--including myself--have commented on the fact that, when you come to a stop (going forward or in reverse), you can hear the kind of strange sound the gas makes sloshing in the tank. Having heard others comment on this, I recognized this sound for what it was from the outset. But, if I hadn't heard about it, I might not have realized it was coming from the gas tank....to me, it sounds like more of a "thump" than a "slosh"!
Could this be what you're hearing?
actually the sound IMO changes as teh level of gas in the tank goes down. It goes from a Thump to a slosh to not audible....

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Re: Re: Re: New to forum/my issues

ramirami said:

actually the sound IMO changes as teh level of gas in the tank goes down. It goes from a Thump to a slosh to not audible....
Yeah, ramirami, upon further reflection I think I agree with your description.....

You know, I can't recall ever having owned a vehicle whose fuel tank/gas made that kind of sound....(not that it's really a problem)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Flexing noise

My flex noise just started at about 12,000 mi. It's within a month of 1 year old and suddenly the dreaded scrunch starts.

I think it is possible to tighten the doors against the frame by moving the strike in toward the center of the car. I'm hoping that will solve mine.

As far as $30K goes and what do you expect I think Honda is making a bundle at $30K. "cause with other vehicles in the $30K-32K range you get a lot more stuff that is optional on the Pilot, and I mean a lot; like sun roof, on-off lights, auto locks, fog lights, roof racks, etc.
So then you rightly assume the $30k is quality????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts