Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

New Tires....

15K views 68 replies 21 participants last post by  PHM 
#1 ·
2019 EXL with almost 30K miles. Not thrilled with the wear on the factory Bridgstone Duelers. Rotated every 5K miles.

Looking for recommendations for on new tires before winter

Thanks

#2 ·
#3 ·
There are threads about tires here. I went with Michelin LTX last year, but didn’t drive much to have a long term view. I replaced the oem Continentals after 63,000 km, even though the OEMs were pretty good, but these Michelins seemed better, at a price of over $300.00 each.

#6 ·
Hopefully this thread doesn't turn into a big argument like most tire threads... I have the Michelin X LT A/S (The LTX tire for Costco) on the Traverse and the Pirelli Scorpion Verde on the Pilot. Both perform really well in all conditions and are quiet so far. The Pirellis have more miles on them, I am looking to get 50k or so out of them before replacing them. Time will tell with the Michelins. So far I'd buy either of them again.

Reactions: FASTFJR
#9 ·
I got a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus (not regular duelers - completely different tire) and very happy with them. I did 3k miles on them so cannot say anything about thread life (no signs of wear for now).

I got them on sale at Costco with 80,000 miles warranty (which will be voided because Costco wants to do rotation at their tire center and it’s extremely busy in my area)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Michelins on the 2013 Pilot went 60K on the OEM's. Replaced them with Michelins when it was getting close to time. Never had an issue. Good, smooth quiet ride, except on traction etched concrete interstate. Then they were noisy as can be. But I don't know of any tire that wouldn't be noisy on that kind of surface.

#14 ·
Wow, ya'll get some pricey tires!!!
For our 08, FWD, our last set is
General Tire HTS60

Pretty sure we got all 4 of them, mounted and balanced for UNDER $500!

Someone is paying $300/tire? What, you racing Indy or sonething?

Yea, it snow here quite a bit every winter (Milwaukee). yea, they plow and salt. F'n road salt!!
Even the FWD Pilot has no problem- with only these tires.

Reactions: SgtVic
#17 ·
For our 08, FWD, our last set is General Tire HTS60
Where were your tires manufactured?

About two years ago, I went to buy a set of the General Grabber HTS60 tires for my Pilot.
According to the TireRack site, the tires were supposed to made in USA.
So, I ordered them at a local tire dealer.
When the tires came in from the warehouse, it turned out that the four tires had been made in one of three different locations: Germany, Mexico or Brazil - in other words, anywhere but in the USA.
I passed on them and instead bought a set of made-in-USA Toyo tires.

#15 ·
Don't know how much highway speed drives you do, but we love our High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02s (now P03). These are a 60k mile tire that ride nice and can take a 70 mph curve without letting off the gas. Best of all is you can have these shipped mounted and balanced for under $600.
I get new rubber every 2-3 years.

#23 ·
The wife's '17 EX AWD got a set of Michelin LTX M/S over the Summer. They seem to be better than the stock Bridgestones in every way except for one characteristic. Handling is less sharp. While the Pilot isn't sporty, there was a difference. You probably won't notice the difference 99% of the time, but if you quickly change direction, you will feel the tires load up and then pull the vehicle in the direction you want it. This is just a factor of the sidewall construction common to light truck tires. High speed directional stability is only slightly less on point, but unless you drive +70 MPH, you'll probably never notice it.

The good thing is that the tires will grip well in dry, wet and loose surface conditions. The noise and ride quality is better than the stock Bridgestones. Plus, I've had fewer Michelin tires fail or otherwise not live up to expectations (looking at you General, Hankook and Kumho) than any other brand over the decades I've been buying tires.

Overall, the Michelin is probably the best all around tire for the Pilot.

I echo what some other people have been saying about getting a set of snow tires if you spend several months driving on snow/ice. M/S rated tires are okay, but dedicated snow tires are just that much better. Nokian and Bridgestone both makes some of the best.

Disclaimer: I come from a sports car and performance sedan background, so handling is something I'm more prone to notice, even when it really isn't important. e.g. "Wow, this John Deer tractor understeers and the suspension is horrible."

#28 ·
Stability at high speeds really concerns me. The wife and I are always driving the 75mph intertates here in Texas. I don't need a squishy touring tire. There are so many of these light weight (for fuel efficiency) over priced, thin sidewall 44psi max inflation tires being pushed for this vehicle. Quite simply, they do not perform as well as I need it to. The 3rd Gen Pilot weighs 4200Lbs. You add 4 people and a few items in the back, your at 5000Lbs +. After the good results with the High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02 on a 3800Lb Honda Crosstour (38-40psi hot), I decided to try the 51psi max rated high performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02s on the Pilot (40-42psi hot). I gained the weight support this vehicle needs plus my stability concerns were over. I'm now passing instead if being passed. The difference is night and day. No more letting off the gas in a turn. You can lead the pack if you want to!

#37 ·
The General Grabber HTS60, made somewheres LOL, does well in the snow in and around Milwaukee, HTH.

Reactions: Nail Grease
#41 ·
I have a 2019 EXL FWD and i agreed that the Bridgstone Duelers sucks. I just change my tires at 30K.
These tires will get you 😵 too. Terrible tire for highway speed driving. You could not go into a corner without being below the posted curve speed. One of the worst tires I ever owned. I would not want one as a spare if you gave it to me new.

#40 ·
Thanks all!

For those who asked the tires are wearing evenly. Just had it into Honda and their guy made the comment about the low tread, I forget what the depth was but I tend to get a new set before winter, yes we get snow here and yes I drive to work.

Their is no way in hell I'm buying a second set of winter tires, maybe if I lived in Maine, NH or VT.

I've decide to get the Michelin Defender LTX or Cross Climate SUV. I believe Costco carries both

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.