Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

Registered
I have a 2019 EXL FWD and i agreed that the Bridgstone Duelers sucks. I just change my tires at 30K.
These tires will get you 馃樀 too. Terrible tire for highway speed driving. You could not go into a corner without being below the posted curve speed. One of the worst tires I ever owned. I would not want one as a spare if you gave it to me new.

Registered
But, those tires have a maximum inflation pressure of only 44 psi.
Paging @Nail Grease !
My thumbs up is for his being satisfied with his purchase. Yes, I prefer a higher inflation value to better handle a 5000Lb vehicle traveling at 75mph on the interstate. I'm not into fuel efficient tires. IMO, they compromise safety.

Registered
Had to replace my 17 Pilot's original tires at about 32k miles. Purchased Cooper Adventure H/Ts for about $800 installed. Honda has really gone down hill on the quality of their new car tires. My 2008 CRV tires lasted through 60k miles.

Registered
Where were your tires manufactured?

About two years ago, I went to buy a set of the General Grabber HTS60 tires for my Pilot.
According to the TireRack site, the tires were supposed to made in USA.
So, I ordered them at a local tire dealer.
When the tires came in from the warehouse, it turned out that the four tires had been made in one of three different locations: Germany, Mexico or Brazil - in other words, anywhere but in the USA.
I passed on them and instead bought a set of made-in-USA Toyo tires.
My HTS 60s were made in Germany; I imagine that's because General belongs to Continental. I saw the TireRack info, too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #46
Had to replace my 17 Pilot's original tires at about 32k miles. Purchased Cooper Adventure H/Ts for about $800 installed. Honda has really gone down hill on the quality of their new car tires. My 2008 CRV tires lasted through 60k miles.
I don't what remember what I had on my 2011 Ridgeline but they lasted 67K Miles. I drive the same as I did then

Registered
Don't you find it peculiar that someone might keep recommending the exact same tire repeatedly, regardless of the specific needs of the individual requesting the recommendation?
I think many of us do that based on our experience. I try to give options. I usually recommend the LTX M/S, now Defender LTX M/S as they work well in most conditions. If someone needs better handling, there are better choices, better off road different choices, constant snow/ice, better choices but that will go based on recommendations and reading also on tire sites.

My wifes Pilot has the Defender LTX M/S in 265-60-18. Slight upsize, she is not the most observant and said she likes these MUCH better than the Bridgestones that came on it. They work for all of our family trips, towing, beach, hunting cabin gravel trails etc for us. My Daughters CRV will probably get them also next year.

I'm on the opposite for winter tires and will always recommend getting them. My deductible is $1000 not counting injuries or hassles. I spend for the rims and tires and get 4-5 seasons out of them. Then just tires. I know it gives anyone driving my cars the advantage of being able to stop 30 feet shorter or more sooner and turn and avoid somebody else sliding and intersections. Proven in MANY tests all over the world and my experience. Over the years I did the Nokian all weathers (much better than all seasons), 2 snow tires on front in a FWD Civic (don't do that get 4!, rear end sliding causing donuts at 30mph in snow with trucks induces extra laundry detergents needed for Nailgrease shop rags), 2 snows on back of RWD Malibu wagon (you can start good but not stop/turn so well, don't do that get 4!)

Unlike some, as a volunteer FF and ambulance driver I need to go out in the bad conditions. My job also does not close normally and as only shift manager, I need to be at work.

There were some videos from Canada a couple years ago that had a Ridgeline on stock LTX vs Winter's to show the difference. I prefer to put a bit more investment into my families safety and security but that is what works for me. Everyone needs to make their own risk/reward level of comfort.

Registered
Everyone needs to make their own risk/reward level of comfort.
I'm all for safety. But to give up so much performance 80% of the time, based on a hand full of snow rating points just doesn't make sense to me. A 9 point snow rated all season tire can't cut against a snow tire. For safety and to eliminate the risk, If I lived in the north and had to be out in it, I'd get a set of snow tires.

Reactions: PHM

Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
I'm all for safety. But to give up so much performance 80% of the time, based on a hand full of snow rating points just doesn't make sense to me. A 9 point snow rated all season tire can't cut against a snow tire. For safety and to eliminate the risk, If I lived in the north and had to be out in it, I'd get a set of snow tires.
I agree with you 100% Those Four season (not all season) with the snow flake symbol take away summer performance, also are not that great in the winter. If you have devoted tires, summer and winter, you also are going to get four years out of them, instead of two.
Remember snow tires are meant to reduce your braking distance, work better on ice, not so much for driving through six inches of fresh powder. I never believed in snows, till I got a set, whole different world.
Do not get me wrong, it is a pain in the ass storing them, but it makes a heck of a difference.

Registered

Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
Comparison test of all-weather (four season) tires, which includes both a summer and a winter tire for reference:

2020 Tyre Reviews All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Tests and Reviews @ Tyre Reviews
I believe everything on the internet, not really.
For all of us who drive in ice and snow, I will stick to changing my summers out.
Pain in my ass, but worth it.
My winters are on steel wheels, hate for the salt and brine (brine is the worst thing)
Let the steel wheels rot, keep my fancy wheels (rims) looking good.
I do not know where xGS lives, but around here winter sucks.

Registered

Registered
For all of us who drive in ice and snow, I will stick to changing my summers out.
Did you compare the test results data between the better performing all-weather tires and the winter tire used as a control?

Are the roads you drive on in winter always covered in snow and/or ice, or is there ever bare pavement?
Do they ever get plowed and treated?
Are the local temperatures in your area during winter always sub-freezing?

Registered
Do you have proof of that allegation?
Have you ever repped a product and wanted to take it to a trade show? You pay to play.

Registered
Have you ever repped a product and wanted to take it to a trade show? You pay to play.
My only experience with the sales force was one marketing guy who said to me "If there's anything bad about our new product, don't tell me. I want to be able to say to the customer, without lying, that I'm not aware of any problems."

Registered
But because they are all seasons, people buy and use them year round even up here in the Northeast. My co-worker had HTR's on her Elantra. She was afraid to go out if there was a dusting and saved her sick days to call in if it did. It snowed while she was at work one day, I gave her a ride home. She asked why my car wasn't sliding everywhere like hers did. She didn't change until one caught a nail and actually blew out from the heat on driving with low pressure. They were old though, past the recommended usage. She now has Coopers but still won't drive in snow, probably better for the rest of us.

Many Most drivers up here scare me.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts