Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
It's not a snow tire.
Is he asking for snow tires?
He lives where it snows and wants new tires before winter.
Presumably, he wants tires that perform well in snow.
Does the tire you are recommending perform well in snow, or not?

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
He lives where it snows and wants new tires before winter.
Presumably, he wants tires that perform well in snow.
Does the tire you are recommending perform well in snow, or not?
If the OP is going to drive in snow, it would be advisable to buy a 2nd set of tires designed for such driving. Otherwise, I have no problem recommending Sumitomo HTR AS P02 or 3s to anyone who has a more spirited driving style. For some, saving $600 now, and buying a fresh set of Sumitomo HTR AS P02s every 2-3 years is a better plan. These tires will have better traction than keeping an old set of tires for 4-6 years after they have crystallized (going from hot to cold so much) and trying to squeeze out 80k miles. The older a tire is, the more chance for dry rot.

From personal experience of owning the same OE tire that the OP is currently driving on, a fresh set of Sumitomo HTR AS P02s will be a large improvement in any weather.

Reactions: The Todd and aggrex

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX AWD
10 Posts
The wife's '17 EX AWD got a set of Michelin LTX M/S over the Summer. They seem to be better than the stock Bridgestones in every way except for one characteristic. Handling is less sharp. While the Pilot isn't sporty, there was a difference. You probably won't notice the difference 99% of the time, but if you quickly change direction, you will feel the tires load up and then pull the vehicle in the direction you want it. This is just a factor of the sidewall construction common to light truck tires. High speed directional stability is only slightly less on point, but unless you drive +70 MPH, you'll probably never notice it.

The good thing is that the tires will grip well in dry, wet and loose surface conditions. The noise and ride quality is better than the stock Bridgestones. Plus, I've had fewer Michelin tires fail or otherwise not live up to expectations (looking at you General, Hankook and Kumho) than any other brand over the decades I've been buying tires.

Overall, the Michelin is probably the best all around tire for the Pilot.

I echo what some other people have been saying about getting a set of snow tires if you spend several months driving on snow/ice. M/S rated tires are okay, but dedicated snow tires are just that much better. Nokian and Bridgestone both makes some of the best.

Disclaimer: I come from a sports car and performance sedan background, so handling is something I'm more prone to notice, even when it really isn't important. e.g. "Wow, this John Deer tractor understeers and the suspension is horrible."

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Otherwise, I have no problem recommending Sumitomo HTR AS P02 or 3s to anyone who has a more spirited driving style.

From personal experience of owning the same OE tire that the OP is currently driving on, a fresh set of Sumitomo HTR AS P02s will be a large improvement in any weather.
Did the OP make any mention of having a "spirited driving style"?
Have any of the weather conditions through which you've driven your Sumitomo HTR AS P02 tires included snow?

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Have any of the weather conditions through which you've driven your Sumitomo HTR AS P02 tires included snow?
No, but I seem to remember seeing a set being used in Montana. Maybe our fellow Piloteer has a spirited driving style up north? Or doesn't like to over pay for tires? If the OP is anything like me, I stay home when the weather is bad. There are more good weather days than bad. The OP may have another vehicle for those bad snow days.

Reactions: Ronnie pumpkin

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Why doesnt the mod close this thread and link the last dumpster fire tire thread? This seems to be going in the same direction.
Lol. They always do.
What kind of oil do you use? 😈

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Stability at high speeds really concerns me. The wife and I are always driving the 75mph intertates here in Texas. I don't need a squishy touring tire. There are so many of these light weight (for fuel efficiency) over priced, thin sidewall 44psi max inflation tires being pushed for this vehicle. Quite simply, they do not perform as well as I need it to. The 3rd Gen Pilot weighs 4200Lbs. You add 4 people and a few items in the back, your at 5000Lbs +. After the good results with the High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02 on a 3800Lb Honda Crosstour (38-40psi hot), I decided to try the 51psi max rated high performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02s on the Pilot (40-42psi hot). I gained the weight support this vehicle needs plus my stability concerns were over. I'm now passing instead if being passed. The difference is night and day. No more letting off the gas in a turn. You can lead the pack if you want to!

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
130 Posts
Don't know how much highway speed drives you do, but we love our High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02s (now P03). These are a 60k mile tire that ride nice and can take a 70 mph curve without letting off the gas. Best of all is you can have these shipped mounted and balanced for under $600.
I get new rubber every 2-3 years.
I do not understand what you mean about shipped mounted and balanced.
Do they ship loose and have a local shop install them with the included price.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I do not understand what you mean about shipped mounted and balanced.
Do they ship loose and have a local shop install them with the included price.
Yes, shipped to my house (or to installer). I pay my local tire shop $100 to mount and balance.
ADDED:
Back in July for the Crosstour. Dropped on the water hose, but was thrilled to get them in 3 days.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are several options for all-weather tires as posted earlier. Look for the snowflake/mountain on sidewall.

Had a set dedicated snow tires (Blizzack) many years ago. I feel the Nokians I have now stop just as good in snow. I don’t miss having the hassle of a 2nd set of tires just for winter

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
820 Posts
Why are you so hostile any time somebody recommends a tire?

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Why are you so hostile any time somebody recommends a tire?
No hostility implied or intended. Simply debating the issue at hand.
Don't you find it peculiar that someone might keep recommending the exact same tire repeatedly, regardless of the specific needs of the individual requesting the recommendation?

See post #28.
Does everyone have precisely those same concerns when choosing tires?
Is performance under winter driving conditions ever mentioned?

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
No hostility implied or intended. Simply debating the issue at hand.
Don't you find it peculiar that someone might keep recommending the exact same tire repeatedly, regardless of the specific needs of the individual requesting the recommendation?

See post #28.
Does everyone have precisely those same concerns when choosing tires?
Is performance under winter driving conditions ever mentioned?
Wouldn't you want someone's hands on experience? I buy tires for 10 vehicles. I've literally purchased 100s of tires for a variety of vehicles in my lifetime. If my experience are unappealing for your needs, please ignore. I do look for tires that will last 60k miles. Quality at a low price. If your driving an AWD that requires evenly worn tires, you won't get price shocked near as bad when you must replace 2 tires because you destroyed one. My cost would be $300 where two 80k mile tires could cost you $600+ after mount balance, disposal + tax.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Wouldn't you want someone's hands on experience? I buy tires for 10 vehicles. I've literally purchased 100s of tires for a variety of vehicles in my lifetime. If my experience are unappealing for your needs, please ignore. I
It's not my needs, it's the needs of the OP who lives where it snows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2019 EXL with almost 30K miles. Not thrilled with the wear on the factory Bridgstone Duelers. Rotated every 5K miles.

Looking for recommendations for on new tires before winter

Thanks
I have a 2019 EXL FWD and i agreed that the Bridgstone Duelers sucks. I just change my tires at 30K. I purchase the
Pirelli Scorpion Strada All Season 245/60/18. They been great. I got them at Discount tires for $150 each.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks all!

For those who asked the tires are wearing evenly. Just had it into Honda and their guy made the comment about the low tread, I forget what the depth was but I tend to get a new set before winter, yes we get snow here and yes I drive to work.

Their is no way in hell I'm buying a second set of winter tires, maybe if I lived in Maine, NH or VT.

I've decide to get the Michelin Defender LTX or Cross Climate SUV. I believe Costco carries both

21 - 40 of 69 Posts