Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just bought some Michelin Defender LTX tires, seems the ride is pretty rough.

WIll these tires get any better over time?

·
Registered
312 Posts
My LTX are smooth. I have run several sets. I would go back to the place that mounted them and have them recheck them.
I guess I should ask, did you have a vibration on the old set?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the continentals from the factory. My Michelins only have 40 miles on them, but they seem like they ride more like a truck tire.

My old tires were out of round, because they sounded like truck tires and I would almost wreck when it rained.

Does it take a couple hundred miles to break in?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Hello all, just bought some Michelin Defender LTX tires, seems the ride is pretty rough
The Michelin LTX M/S tire is designed for light truck / SUV crossovers so it may ride a bit harsher than typical all-season tires used in passenger vehicles. This trait probably won’t change over time. Adjusting the tire pressure within a certain safe range might help a bit.
The Michelin LTX tires is considered a premium tire for light truck and SUVs for better traction and durability over typical all-season tires.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Post the Pilot year and trim for accurate internet discussion. Start with the recommended tire pressures usually posted in door jam or owners manual, get a good tire pressure gauge. Depending upon the age of the Pilot perhaps shocks/struts or suspension components are worn etc.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, my pilot is a 2017 EXL.

Now, I have a slight Steering wheel vibration when I hit speeds above 50. Does that mean the tires are out of balance already?

How many of you have replaced the shocks and struts. Pilot is a 2017 with 45,000 miles.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts
Not too sure that they were ever in balance from what you have reported. Might be good to take them back and have them checked.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I doubt it is shocks with that low miles. Could be but doubtful. I would make sure that they tightened your lug nuts and then take it back to have them recheck the balance. The place you bought them from should be able to sort it out. Sounds like something with the front if you can feel it in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, it is a slight vibration in the steering wheel.

These Michelin Defender tires do sure ride rougher though. I hope they smooth out soon.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts
It most likely won't. If there is a problem then not fixing it will only exacerbate the problem. My 2013 pilot had the same issue after about 6000 miles. When service came due, the tires were always rebalanced and the issue was gone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Do you mean lower the air pressure? Right now they are running around 35 psi cold
Same tires here. The door says 32psi but I always run mine at 34 psi. I had the Michelin Latitudes before. The Latitudes do afford a softer ride and quieter too. My 2005 Pilot has lousy road noise and wind noise isolation. I drove a 2020 Subaru Forester and felt like I was in a hearing test booth almost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts