Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 4 new tires a few weeks ago (Kumho Crugen HT51 based on a recommendation I got here) for a total price of $520 (tires/installation/balance) from Pep Boys.

Immediately after getting the car back, I noticed that the TPMS light is coming on. It doesn't indicate a specific tire, but the TPMS light comes on and then goes off randomly.

After the tires, it was also due for an oil change, diff fluid, brake fluid flush, and a couple other relatively minor routine things (I think the exhaust cover underneath the car fall apart). When I took it to my mechanic (former Honda tech and shop foreman) I mentioned the TPMS indicator was coming off/off and he said that Pep Boys may have damaged one of the sensors when they put the tires on. The sensors worked PERFECTLY before the new tires. No issues at all.

My regular mechanic still has the car for the oil change and the other issues, but I just called Pep Boys and they quoted me like $100 bucks for a new sensor (not sure if that was installed or not) but she did say that they could be purchased cheaper elsewhere. I mentioned to her that they worked fine before the new tires and I had never had any issues.....she responded that they were "fickle" (as in my opinion, not to accept blame). I also told her that the ride didn't feel as smooth as I was expecting and I suspect one of the tires is not properly balanced.

I never go to places like Pep Boys, and now I think I know why. The tires were on special, and I had been wanting them, so I jumped on their deal.

Is it common for the TPMS sensors to have issues after putting on new tires? If so, I wish they would have told me, and I probably would have had them just replace all 4. Instead, they just let me go on my way with a bad sensor(s). Now I have to go back, and I'm assuming they'll charge me for finding the bad sensor and replacing it.

What should I do? Just replace all 4? Are there any preferred ones that people have found/used? Shouldn't Pep Boys eat some of the cost considering they were 100% functional beforehand? Or are they very easy to damage? But either, like I said before, if they're easy to damage, they should have given me a heads up and I woulda have had 4 new ones put on during the installation. Just seems like a huge PITA that should have been avoided......

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
Sensors do age and fail.Usually one at a time. So identifying the bad one is going to be key to solving this issue....

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Used to go to Pepboys myself they have NO Idea on how to change a tire ..check the tire pressure before hand anything under 35 psi will trigger the sensor. They snapped the valve OFF my sensor on my Tahoe while removing the tire tried to state that the tire was in that condition when I drove in I almost jumped over the counter. After a heated argument with the Manager and the Police involved Jersey city cops have nothing better to do and filing a complaint with corporate they eventually refunded me the price for the new OEM sensor and the price of the tire that I paid for. Normally No the sensor does not trigger when getting new tires unless the pilot has high miles and they are old.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
You’ve posted in the 2003-08 forum so I’m guessing the sensors are the OEM ones and are at least 11 years old. I have been told their expected lifespan is about 10 years.
As mentioned above check the tire pressure. If you have a torque wrench also verify the lugs are tightened correctly. You may need to loosen then retorque them.
$60 installed is what I was quoted from @Discount Tire a year ago when I inquired on my wife’s 2005.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
That is $60 each; $240 for the set. Didn’t matter if they were replaced during new tire install or anytime afterwards.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
So I might as well buy 4 new ones and just replace them all, right?
If you are planning to keep the Pilot well passed 200K ? yes it's really a good idea like road2cycle also stated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Used to go to Pepboys myself they have NO Idea on how to change a tire ..check the tire pressure before hand anything under 35 psi will trigger the sensor. They snapped the valve OFF my sensor on my Tahoe while removing the tire tried to state that the tire was in that condition when I drove in I almost jumped over the counter. After a heated argument with the Manager and the Police involved Jersey city cops have nothing better to do and filing a complaint with corporate they eventually refunded me the price for the new OEM sensor and the price of the tire that I paid for. Normally No the sensor does not trigger when getting new tires unless the pilot has high miles and they are old.
Yeah, that's how I know they were all working fine before.....I regularly checked my pressure and I had 2 tires that would slowly lose air.....and then the TPMS light would come on and it would indicate the specific tire. I'd fill em p and the light would go off. Now, the TPMS light comes on, but no specific tire indicator. It's an '05 with 120k miles, so I guess they were probably at the end of their life....sure woulda been nice if Pep Boys had mentioned that before installing tires over 14 year old sensors....and in my opinion, damaging one while they were at it.

I'll ask my regular mechanic when I pick up my car from him. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess Pep Boys isn't going to take accountability. I'll have them re-check the balance (they did say they would do that for free) but even if they were old, I know those sensors were 100% functional before the tires were put on. Sounds like more hassle and more money.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are planning to keep the Pilot well passed 200K ? yes it's really a good idea like road2cycle also stated.
Oh yeah, I'm a Honda guy....haven't gotten rid of one with less than 260-280k miles (and they both still ran great when I did). I'm shooting for 300k with this Pilot.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Same happened to me a couple of years ago with an incompetent tire change mechanic. They broke a TPMS sensor with the machine for removing the old tire from the rim. Of course they said it was already broken and denied they did it, but as with you it was functioning fine just before. Unless you're willing to jump over the counter and get the New Jersey police involved, it's he said, she said, and you'll probably lose.

On the other hand, as others have pointed out, their time has come and their batteries will start giving out one by one over time, usually at a moment when it's inconvenient for you. So if you plan on keeping the Pilot a good long while, since they do last if you take care of them, may as well just bite the bullet and get all four TPMS sensors replaced now and be done with it.

Just take it to a non-Pep Boys place.

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
Buy the ones you need is the minimum. They'll all fail in the next year or two

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If I were the OP, I'd ask a tire shop to put 4x regular valves in and call it a day. How did we drive for half a century w/o them?

·
Registered
100 Posts
i been driving my silverado with the warning light for the Front left tire for more than 3 years. I will change all sensors next time i get new tires, not for at least 20k miles.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
i been driving my silverado with the warning light for the Front left tire for more than 3 years. I will change all sensors next time i get new tires, not for at least 20k miles.
Must be nice not to have mandatory inspection every year ..this would fail if the tire light was on. So what state are you in that passes something like this ?

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Must be nice not to have mandatory inspection every year ..this would fail if the tire light was on. So what state are you in that passes something like this ?
On this new layout of the forum, you now have to hover your mouse over a member's avatar for their location to be visible, if they've added it to their profile. His says CA.

It would be better if it were visible by default, like on the previous forum layout, since this often helps members help others more efficiently, for example if they're from the rust belt or from the sun belt, etc.

Because of this, it seems fewer new members are bothering to even add their location to their profile, unfortunately.

Are you listening, Admins??‍♂

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
On this new layout of the forum, you now have to hover your mouse over a member's avatar for their location to be visible, if they've added it to their profile. His says CA.

It would be better if it were visible by default, like on the previous forum layout, since this often helps members help others more efficiently, for example if they're from the rust belt or from the sun belt, etc.

Because of this, it seems fewer new members are bothering to even add their location to their profile, unfortunately.

Are you listening, Admins??‍♂
Unfortunately this format even on a 55" 4k monitor it gets cumbersome after a while . I'm going to start looking to see what other forums that house Honda stuff.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Unfortunately this format even on a 55" 4k monitor it gets cumbersome after a while . I'm going to start looking to see what other forums that house Honda stuff.
They locked the thread critical of the new layout, so it is blatantly obvious that users don't matter.
Horrible readability, emasculated search, obscured information... What's there not to love?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
They locked the thread critical of the new layout, so it is blatantly obvious that users don't matter.
Horrible readability, emasculated search, obscured information... What's there not to love?
FREEDOM!!!!!!....sorry a William Wallace moment :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts