Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this brings all kinds of opinions but here I go.
My '08 has 167K and going strong. Tires (Michellin LTX Premiere) have 35K on them and probably last through winter (maybe not if I can get a good deal). Mostly highway driving in Northeast....nothing crazy. I do like Michellins but they are wearing alittle to fast. Rotated regularly, smooth ride and no problems in any kind of weather.
I have been researching other all season Michellins and have been advised to look at Continentals and maybe Nokians.
I have also run Yokohamas on my other cars and they wear great but very loud and I have used Toyos in the past as well.
Right now, I'm stuck on Michellins so what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,373 Posts
Just would seem it'd be important to have a winter tire for the season in the NE. Then when spring comes, it would open a lot of great tire options. Otherwise, if insisting on a Michelin tire, your really limited with the 16" rim. According to tire rack you only have 2 choices. The Defender LTX or the Premier LTX touring. If I only wanted one tire year round in your climate, I'd choose this...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Consumers rate it very well and has the severe snow rating.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I too used to like the Michelin LTX M/S2 and the Costco/BJs club brands (X), but they got noisy over time. Coworker picked up a set of Falken CT60 (Pro G5 CSV is the Discount Tire only version) for his SUV, and liked them a lot. I bought them for our Ascent last December, and they are a very good tire. I liked them so much I put them on the Pilot this past spring. I have about 8k on them, and they barely have any wear on them. They are quiet, smooth and stable. Never thought I'd venture from Michelin and Continental, but you may want to give them a shot. Check DiscountTireDirect for prices on them, as they are sometimes cheaper than local Discount Tire prices, and they'll price match. I picked up both sets during their flash sales, and local DT honored the immediate discount.

Reactions: Pilot73132

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL, 3.5L 5 speed
61 Posts
I too used to like the Michelin LTX M/S2 and the Costco/BJs club brands (X), but they got noisy over time. Coworker picked up a set of Falken CT60 (Pro G5 CSV is the Discount Tire only version) for his SUV, and liked them a lot. I bought them for our Ascent last December, and they are a very good tire. I liked them so much I put them on the Pilot this past spring. I have about 8k on them, and they barely have any wear on them. They are quiet, smooth and stable. Never thought I'd venture from Michelin and Continental, but you may want to give them a shot. Check DiscountTireDirect for prices on them, as they are sometimes cheaper than local Discount Tire prices, and they'll price match. I picked up both sets during their flash sales, and local DT honored the immediate discount.
Falkens are decent tires for the money. They are a little noisy for my tastes, but they are a solid value.

I have Khumo HP71 tires. I'm not 100 percent satisfied with them as they are having a hard time balancing, but as ususal, I probably got a bad batch.

The Khumos are pretty quiet and very solid handling. Steering response is probably the biggest strong suit. Tire noise is a perennial problem with Honda branded vehicles, so the choice of tire is pretty important. The tread isn't very deep on them, so probably I wouldn't suggest for the snowy, icy Northeast road conditions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another tire that I recommend from a winter driving standpoint would be the Toyo Open Country HT. The tread is DEEP on those. I don't know how it compares road noise wise, but they are a solid tire for not too much money. The reports are mixed on noise. Some say they are the quietest tire they've had, some people complain about them. They look to be a long lasting, stylish tire with decent, but not class leading handling characteristics. Available at Big O tires, NTB or Tire Kingdom depending on where you live. If you are in the Northeast, I'm sure Mavis has them.

What I like about them is that they are made in Japan, which is better than China or Indonesia, though I still think that the US or the EU has the best tires because of the better processing here. It's too bad that many manufacturers make their stuff in Asia where they do take shortcuts.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Falkens are decent tires for the money. They are a little noisy for my tastes, but they are a solid value.

I have Khumo HP71 tires. I'm not 100 percent satisfied with them as they are having a hard time balancing, but as ususal, I probably got a bad batch.

The Khumos are pretty quiet and very solid handling. Steering response is probably the biggest strong suit. Tire noise is a perennial problem with Honda branded vehicles, so the choice of tire is pretty important. The tread isn't very deep on them, so probably I wouldn't suggest for the snowy, icy Northeast road conditions.
Just to clarify, this should not be confused with the Kumho Crugen HT51 that has better reviews.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just to clarify, this should not be confused with the Kumho Crugen HT51 that has better reviews.
I have heard the opposite. Being that the HP71s are H rated and the HT51s are t rated, the HP is a more solid handler. What makes the HTs better? I should review that... I have a 30 day return guarantee at Discount..

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,698 Posts
Just would seem it'd be important to have a winter tire for the season in the NE. Then when spring comes, it would open a lot of great tire options. Otherwise, if insisting on a Michelin tire, your really limited with the 16" rim. According to tire rack you only have 2 choices. The Defender LTX or the Premier LTX touring. If I only wanted one tire year round in your climate, I'd choose this...
View attachment 154626
Consumers rate it very well and has the severe snow rating.
If you read reviews, people are very satisfied with the Michelins performance in the snow. It may not be rated, but they still perform well.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
If you read reviews, people are very satisfied with the Michelins performance in the snow. It may not be rated, but they still perform well.
The Michelin Premier LTX is not doing great in the consumer rating for snow and ice. That along with tread wear is giving is giving the impression that it's not as good. It's likely a great tire as it's designed for. It probably shouldn't be sold to people who intend to drive in winter conditions.

Reactions: CascadeSteve

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,698 Posts
The Michelin Premier LTX is not doing great in the consumer rating for snow and ice. That along with tread wear is giving is giving the impression that it's not as good. It's likely a great tire as it's designed for. It probably shouldn't be sold to people who intend to drive in winter conditions.
Sorry, I was referring to the Defender LTX. I would never put the Premier LTX on a Pilot. They wear terribly fast.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Which model are you referring to? I agree, the OEM Falkens that came on the Ascent were abysmal, so much that I never would have thought of looking at Falkens as a replacement. Based on coworkers recommendation, and CR reviews, decided to give them a shot, and the CT60 are great tire IMO. Deep tread depth to start (11/32) and they are good in the snow. Looking at DTD for the ProG5 CSV for the 08 is about $127 a tire, the CT60 is $141 a tire, which the local DT will price match.

If you are going to stick with Michelin, then the Defender LTX (newer version of the older LTX MS/2) is probably your best bet, but for the money, those CT60 are nice. They RoadForce balanced nicely, and are smooth on the highway in the 70-90 mph range.

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
375 Posts
I've run cooper tires on my civic and the old scion. never again. had hankook dynapro's put on the Pilot a couple years ago. rotate them twice a year in the X pattern. they're wearing nicely, track straight, and are quiet on the highway.
no complaints from the wife speaks volumes also

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I know this brings all kinds of opinions but here I go.
My '08 has 167K and going strong. Tires (Michellin LTX Premiere) have 35K on them and probably last through winter (maybe not if I can get a good deal). Mostly highway driving in Northeast....nothing crazy. I do like Michellins but they are wearing alittle to fast. Rotated regularly, smooth ride and no problems in any kind of weather.
I have been researching other all season Michellins and have been advised to look at Continentals and maybe Nokians.
I have also run Yokohamas on my other cars and they wear great but very loud and I have used Toyos in the past as well.
Right now, I'm stuck on Michellins so what are your thoughts?
Get the Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,863 Posts
You might get more life out of the Michelin Defender LTX. Many people swear by those tires.
The Defender LTX or the Premier LTX touring. If I only wanted one tire year round in your climate, I'd choose this...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Sorry, I was referring to the Defender LTX. I would never put the Premier LTX on a Pilot. They wear terribly fast.

Not all Michelins are created equal. Premier and Defender are two different beasts. While I would avoid the former, I have the latter, and I'm still happy with them so far after a few years. However, I use a three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) Nokian Hakkapeliitta in the winter up here.

Daughter has Kumho Crugen HT51 and they're very good so far -- quiet, good tread -- but this will be their first winter and even though they bear the 3PMSF logo, it's too early to say how they perform in on snow, ice, slush, frozen slush, snow over refrozen slush, black ice, a light dusting of snow over black ice, etc. :). Ask me in the spring.

Triangle Font Symbol Symmetry Logo

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,443 Posts
Defender LTX has longer potential life with its wear rating. Had two great sets of Michelin’s that each lasted 70k miles. Only left Michelin for cheap Bridgestone as we were approached end of its life

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Not all Michelins are created equal. Premier and Defender are two different beasts. While I would avoid the former, I have the latter, and I'm still happy with them so far after a few years. However, I use a three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) Nokian Hakkapeliitta in the winter up here.

Daughter has Kumho Crugen HT51 and they're very good so far -- quiet, good tread -- but this will be their first winter and even though they bear the 3PMSF logo, it's too early to say how they perform in on snow, ice, slush, frozen slush, snow over refrozen slush, black ice, a light dusting of snow over black ice, etc. :). Ask me in the spring.

View attachment 154639
I thought in Canada that you had to use winter tires for certain months?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,863 Posts
I thought in Canada that you had to use winter tires for certain months?
Well yes, and even required in Quebec. That's what the above-mentioned three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) Nokian Hakkapeliittas are for on mine, and the Kumho Crugen HT51, also with the 3PMSF logo, are for on my daughter's Pilot. In fact, you were the one who convinced me to get those for her.
Font Brand Logo Graphics Metal

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Well yes, and even required in Quebec. That's what the above-mentioned three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) Nokian Hakkapeliittas are for on mine, and the Kumho Crugen HT51, also with the 3PMSF logo, are for on my daughter's Pilot. In fact, you were the one who convinced me to get those for her.
View attachment 154644
Yes I remember the thread. I was under the impression it was a winter tire needed, not just an all season with an ice and snow rating. Glad the HT51s are working out so far.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 20 of 55 Posts