Discussion Starter · #2 ·
馃槈馃憤

They said it in the video, not me.

Reactions: aggrex

Registered
Third place in a TireRack comparison test:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=254

Then there's this review from a 2016 MDX owner:
'I started out with the OEM Michelin tires and replaced them at 30,000 miles. They were descent but expensive. Time to move on. Bought 4 Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 tires. Was pleasantly surprised in the dry and wet situations. Tires seemed to grip really well and resistance to hydroplaning was fair. Tire noise was minimal. We just got hit with 13" of snow and that's where it went down hill. In both fresh powder and packed snow, the stopping distance was terrible. Cornering was poor and straight on acceleration was not good either. Would not recommend if you are in a snowy area."

Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
Third place in a TireRack comparison test:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=254

'I started out with the OEM Michelin tires and replaced them at 30,000 miles. They were descent but expensive. Time to move on. Bought 4 Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 tires. Was pleasantly surprised in the dry and wet situations. Tires seemed to grip really well and resistance to hydroplaning was fair. Tire noise was minimal. We just got hit with 13" of snow and that's where it went down hill. In both fresh powder and packed snow, the stopping distance was terrible. Cornering was poor and straight on acceleration was not good either. Would not recommend if you are in a snowy area."
Even dedicated snows in 13 inches of snow are sketchy.

Registered
Even dedicated snows in 13 inches of snow are sketchy.
I've done that a few times in a front-wheel-drive car to get home from the office when a big snowstorm started midday.
The bigger problem is from other drivers either on bald tires or who don't know enough to drive slower.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
3rd place according to a paid driver. Probably the same driver that rated Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS as #1, when only 3 consumers out of 10 would buy again.
It's not a severe ice and snow tire. It is an all season tire for what it's worth. It has the Snow + Mud rating.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just really disappointed the poster cut the video short before it finished. 馃槙

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
馃槈馃憤
View attachment 143506
They said it in the video, not me.
Note they didn't have the confidence to actually run and show that tire in the snow, just insert a couple of seconds of lovely winterscape stock footage.

Still believe that dedicated snow compounds beat "all seasons,"

The narrators voice reminds me of a low budget adult film.
How many high budget ones have you seen recently? Besides, do you really need narration? :)

I've done that a few times in a front-wheel-drive car to get home from the office when a big snowstorm started midday.
The bigger problem is from other drivers either on bald tires or who don't know enough to drive slower.
Ain't that the truth. Even though Quebec requires dedicated snow tires, city buses are exempt. As if the usual all season scofflaw bozos unable to get out of in front of themselves weren't bad enough. This is just a few blocks from my place.

I'm just really disappointed the poster cut the video short before it finished. 馃槙
Maybe he was interrupted by taking a slippery curve the Sumitomos couldn't quite handle. Hope he's OK. :p

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Note they didn't have the confidence to actually run and show that tire in the snow, just insert a couple of seconds of lovely winterscape stock footage.

If one drives safely, I don't think its impossible for the Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 to navigate a plowed road. If I didn't have to be somewhere at a certain time, this tire may work for you. If you could pick your time to go to the grocery store for example.
Me? I'm not taking any chances. I'd want a tire design for those conditions. I like saving money, but no way I'm risking not having a tire fully design for the winter weather. I'd change back to my P02s in the spring. This is more the reason not to over pay for 80k mile tires. You'd never use them before they dry rotted. Safety in all conditions is improved by buying fresh rubber more often. Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 would be a great 9 month out if the year tire with plans to replace them every 3 years (20k miles per year). The price makes it affordable to own a set of snow tires.
Maybe he was interrupted by taking a slippery curve the Sumitomos couldn't quite handle. Hope he's OK. :p
I was thinking more that he lost internet in a winter storm an it didn't finish downloading. 馃槒 It was posted 3 days ago.

Registered
3rd place according to a paid driver. Probably the same driver that rated Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS as #1, when only 3 consumers out of 10 would buy again.

It's not a severe ice and snow tire. It is an all weather tire for what it's worth. It has the Snow + Mud rating.
You expect the driver to work for free?
Clearly you don't understand the definition of an all-weather tire - versus an all-season tire.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You expect the driver to work for free?
It's a single opinion swayed by $.
Clearly you don't understand the definition of an all-weather tire - versus an all-season tire.
Who said anything about all weather tires in this thread.

Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000

How many high budget ones have you seen recently? Besides, do you really need narration? :)

Ain't that the truth. Even though Quebec requires dedicated snow tires, city buses are exempt. As if the usual all season scofflaw bozos unable to get out of in front of themselves weren't bad enough. This is just a few blocks from my place.

That video was hilarious. Even the salt truck was sliding.
The credits said 3CM snowfall?

Reactions: Nail Grease

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You did - in post #7.
I simply acknowledged that there was a difference, giving all weather tires some credibility in the Ice and Snow. Your remark is condescending.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On which all-weather tires have you driven on ice and snow?
My credibility is based on the severe ice and snow rating. I do actually own a set of Severe Ice and Snow rated tires on my X5.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That video was hilarious. Even the salt truck was sliding.
The credits said 3CM snowfall?
Doubtful any type of all-weather or quadruple MAX snow flake tire would fare better going up or down that street...lol On those days calling out sick and staying home is okay with me.
Crazy video.
Something ain't right if the snow plow truck can't hold it.

Reactions: aggrex and The Todd
1 - 20 of 36 Posts