Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A warning to anyone who jacks the front end of their Pilot up and proceeds to turn the wheels lock-to-lock.

The story is as follows:
Replaced the struts with complete replacement assemblies from KYB. All was great!
2 weeks later, go to flush the power steering fluid. Decide to take the weights off the front wheels so when I am turning the wheels to circulate new fluid I am not grinding the tires on the pavement.
Put it all back together, go for a test drive and there is a new sound from the suspension. After 2 days of trying to figure out where this was coming from, if I had left a socket or something under the hood that was the source of the sound. I discovered that the large nut at the top of the strut mount had worked itself loose by 1/4 turn allowing enough play that the washer below the nut was loose and would clunk up and down with suspension travel.
I had to remove the strut, re-torque the nut and re-install.

I figure that while the spring is compressed by the weight of the vehicle, there is not a lot of upward pressure on the nut and all moves as designed without issue. When the vehicle is off the ground, the spring is exerting all it's upward pressure on the washer and nut and will unscrew the nut if you begin to turn the wheels left and right.

Eric Willson
2003 Pilot

·
Registered
23 Posts
So glad you posted this. I've had a loose-washer-rattling sound ever since I replaced the strut assemblies on my '05. Will take a look later this week, tighten the center nut, and report back.

By chance does anyone have the center nut torque spec for KYB Strut Plus SR4168? Can't find it on the Googles.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope it helps you. On my Pilot, the large washer was actually loose (as in I could reach in through the strut mount access ports in the windshield cowl and freely spin the the washer) when the vehicle was at rest. Bouncing the front end I could feel the washer clunk as the suspension moved.

I do not know the KYB torque spec as I tossed the paperwork. I had to attempt to tighten the nut without the assistance of a spring compressor, so I can't be sure I got it to the proper torque listed in the Honda repair manual. I just gave it as much as it would let me given I had to also hold the center from spinning with a hex key socket.

I can post the Honda specific torque if you like when I get the chance this evening.

Eric W.

·
Super Moderator
15,214 Posts
Also the top mount has to be correctly oriented. I recall a few instances when this didn't happen and noises were the result.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting.. Thanks for the replies.

@ Rocky - what do you mean by the top mount being correctly oriented? From what I remember, the strut only fits in one orientation, and then you need to "clock" the strut to make the bottom orient properly.

@ Eric - did you completely remove the strut, and then tighten the nut? I'm wondering if I can tighten it while it is still bolted to the car.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just took a look and you guys were right: all I did was pop the hood, take off the trim to get to the top of the bolts, and check the washers underneath the center bolt. It was definitely loose, so I tightened the nut as much as I could with a halfway-up grip on a ratchet driver.

I haven't driven it yet, but I'm sure that will take care of the washer rattling noise. However, there is another unsettling CLUNK that I will probably have to torque the center nut to deal with (I can repro the noise by driving over a speedbump at a speed that would make your wife say, "SLOW DOWN!", but its not on the compression of the strut going up the bump, its the rapid extension going down the bump).

--Chris N.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've done the same thing. There was an obvious banging noise and I removed the plastic cover and found the nuts on one of the struts were loose. I just tightened them up with a wrench and no further problems. Torque? Who knows?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts