Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing a new Sony head from Crutchfield, with an MP3 player. Gonna hook up the MP3 changer next. I noticed after I finished, that I'm not getting the "umph" from the sub-woofer I had with the stock head unit. The bass is not nearly as meaty as before. I didn't see and specific wire for the sub-woofer, so pretty sure I hooked everyting up ok. Any thoughts here ? There were actually 2 connections "plugs" into the old head unit, but I assumed the one with just a couple of wires was for the steering wheel controls, and not the sub-woofers.

Also, radio reception is bad. I did not hook up the "powered antenna" wires, so I'm guessing that's why the poor FM, and no AM reception. Again, any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale

·
Registered
407 Posts
Keep in mind that most aftermarket head units do not come with amps for subs. For that, you'll have to add an aftermarket amp for your desired "umph"

NOTE: the reason you couldn't find a subwoofer wire is because they are wired within the harness.

I'm pretty sure this is what happened with you, but more details about the type of headunit you bought would help. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
dgrusty said:
Just finished installing a new Sony head from Crutchfield, with an MP3 player. Gonna hook up the MP3 changer next. I noticed after I finished, that I'm not getting the "umph" from the sub-woofer I had with the stock head unit. The bass is not nearly as meaty as before. I didn't see and specific wire for the sub-woofer, so pretty sure I hooked everyting up ok. Any thoughts here ? There were actually 2 connections "plugs" into the old head unit, but I assumed the one with just a couple of wires was for the steering wheel controls, and not the sub-woofers.

Also, radio reception is bad. I did not hook up the "powered antenna" wires, so I'm guessing that's why the poor FM, and no AM reception. Again, any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale
Subwoofer is the second connector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Just did my only little test, and found out the same thing. Lack of "umph" = subwoofer not connected. Called Crutchfield, who then said same as you. Would have been nice for the Crutchfield sales guy who sold it to me to let me know that. Oh well.

Guess my choices now are to forget it and stick with the stock unit, or get a separate amp for the sub. I assume that's what most people do. (i.e. separate amp). Time to pull out the wallet again.

Thanks,
Dale

·
Registered
407 Posts
dgrusty said:
Thanks for the info. Just did my only little test, and found out the same thing. Lack of "umph" = subwoofer not connected. Called Crutchfield, who then said same as you. Would have been nice for the Crutchfield sales guy who sold it to me to let me know that. Oh well.

Guess my choices now are to forget it and stick with the stock unit, or get a separate amp for the sub. I assume that's what most people do. (i.e. separate amp). Time to pull out the wallet again.

Thanks,
Dale
That's odd. Everytime I've dealt w/ Crutchfield they've been very helpful and knowledgeable.

Anyways, unless you plan on replacing the factory sub I wouldn't worry about spending alot on an amp. The OEM sub (paper woofer) won't be able to stand up to a good amp . And don't forget the amp intall kit ($60-$80) plus another $50-$60 if you let a stereo shop install. If you're gonna go to all that much trouble you might as well get a good sub and amp too. I'm sure you're wallet's not gonna like hearing that. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts