Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EX - Taffeta White
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -- just did the rear pads/rotors, planning on getting to the front later this week, took a quick drive a did a few hard stops just to see how they responded. Sound was fine, but when I got home and peeked through the wheels, the rotors had a bunch of white scuff marks on them. I'm praying this is just some pad residue that will "buff out" over time as the pad compresses on the rotor over and over again. That said, it was a long and arduous job (one side was great, the other was a beast), and now I'm terrified I've ruined it somehow with my aggro braking on this little test drive haha.

So, either calm my frayed nerves or tell me I'm an idiot -- either way, I'm ready Iol.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many times have you heard that most optimistic and reassuring of all car-related aphorisms, "Yeah, that'l just buff out." :)

735 Best That'll buff out images in 2020 | Abandoned cars, Abandoned, Rusty cars

Pics?
Hahaha, indeed. On 2nd look, it mostly looks like the “coating” is just partially off — they were Centric GCX semicoated rotors with Centric PQ Pro pads — so I’m assuming with some further bedding in they’ll end up a normal shiny rotor surface, but this “in-between” look currently is giving me the willies haha.

I should add I didn’t fully bed them - had the kiddo in the car so we just spun around a quick half mile or so, speeding up and hitting the brakes hard probably 4 times or so.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
That said, it was a long and arduous job (one side was great, the other was a beast), and now I'm terrified I've ruined it somehow with my aggro braking on this little test drive
Why was the task difficult on one side? Did you clean up the surface rust and lube the caliper pins and contact areas? Proper bedding of the pads would have been good too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why was the task difficult on one side? Did you clean up the surface rust and lube the caliper pins and contact areas? Proper bedding of the pads would have been good too.
The 14mm caliper bracket bolts on the passenger side were just extra beastly getting off than the drivers side ones, and I didn't (rookie mistake) have an penetrating oil on hand. I'd been ready to go grab some, but when the first side went so easily, I just assumed the other would be fine. Also the brake line next to the top 12mm caliper slide pin bolt was so close that I had a terrible time getting a socket on the bolt and was terrified I was gonna mess up/break the line. Luckily was eventually able to very gingerly get it moved just enough to get the bolt out.

Yep, lubed up caliper slides with Sylglide, contact areas with the moly paste the pads came with. Took the car out for maybe 10+ miles of driving later last night and it all sounded/responded great -- smooth, quiet, so I suppose I should be taking some comfort in that. I'll take a few pics, but it looks like one side had reduced "scuffing" as shown above, but the other side still looked fairly scuffed. Obv need to get some more miles to see how they continue to evolve.

On bedding, if I haven't done the front brakes yet, can I bed in the back now and then do it again when the front are on? Or should I just wait and do them both at the same time? Never bedded in brakes before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Adding to my confusion about bedding in, here's a white paper from Centric/StopTech suggesting "street" pads (vs high performance/track) pads don't even need bedding in, while this break down from TireRack shows the procedures for several brands and they range from "Drive 400-500 miles like normal, don't brake hard" to the more common series of speed up-then-brake exercises. It's all very confusing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FWIW, I happened to drop the wife's minivan off to our mechanic for some planned work this morning, and he took a look at the rotors and said they looked normal to him, just the anti-rust (Geomet) coating not fully wore off by the pads yet. Didn't seem concerned, so I'll try to follow suit...though I'll feel better when the rotor surface look nice and uniformly shiny ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.