Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed out all the brakes last summer. This winter haven’t really driven the car for some time and rust started building up on the rotors.
Now I’m on a road trip, and whenever I brake hard I feel grinding noise and pulsating rotors.
Upon a closer look, I see these scar marks.

Why doesn’t driving around for 200 or so miles rub off these marks? Any other way to fix it without changing the rotors again?

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
That looks like a lot of surface rust. You might need to replace rotors/pads. Sucks to be you, but if you get a thick enough layer of surface rust while the car is parked and not driven - you won't be able to "grind it off" by driving.

There's an option of gently sanding the surface and then re-bedding the pads, but IMHO, it's a waste of time, only do it if you a short of money and have lots of time on your hands..

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
If the level of pulsation is tolerable, keep driving with those rotors and see if the surfaces clear up.
If not, you could have the rotors cut or, depending on the cost, install a new set.

Between working from home and COVID, my Pilot hasn't seen much use over the past year.
But, at least once a week, I take it out for about an hour's drive to circulate the fluids, keep the brakes from rusting, maintain the charge on the battery and avoid having the tires develop flat spots.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I should have known better. Don’t have a garage and it sits on the street. Also WFH and since it was New Years. There was no alternate side parking either. So it sat for around 3 weeks.
This sucks, brand new set of 4 rotors and pads, didn’t last 6 months!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
If I can put in a recommendation, after two less than satisfying experiences with brakes on my PIlot, I finally found good, long-term joy with this set from Rockauto.

More Information for CENTRIC 90640061

I'm a cheap bastard, but I still think they've been worth it. Extra braking safety is the bonus.

There's also the PIloteers 5% discount you can apply, as you may know.

5% Discount Code: 31517DFA058403
Expires: February 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Can you please let Piloteers know what rotors you bought that warped so quickly.
Thanks.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Is it a just a rotor issue or could it be a pad material deposition issue, as well?
It appears that there is some evidence of build up on the rotor. I dunno. I've never had that problem and wouldn't want to start.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
279 Posts
this is just a really bad combination of circumstance, situation and possibly poor quality parts. this time of year with the ice and snow melting liquids sprayed onto the roads will help eat up anything on your vehicle even faster. I take my vehicles through car washes more often in the winter than summer just because of this.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,568 Posts
That's how my Centric pads rotors look on the front. I am pretty unhappy with Centric.
That's what I get for not going with NAPA Ultra Premium brake parts.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Can you please let Piloteers know what rotors you bought that warped so quickly.
Thanks.
Who said anything about the rotors Warping? Were you using sarcasm? This myth has been blown out of the water.
Sitting on the road/parking space didn't Warp any rotor. I realize he says he feels plulsating in the pedal. Usually from stuck/sticky caliper sliders.

He just needs to index the rotors and all will be well.🙄
Ok, this was sarcasm, tight? My linear thinking isn't helping me discern that on internet posts this morning.

If it were me? I'd keep driving it the way it is, especially knowing it's fairly new pads and rotors?
Actually- I'd check and re grease the caliper sliders for free first too.

Your brakes work, do you feel they are going to let you down and cause a collusion?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Who said anything about the rotors Warping? Were you using sarcasm? This myth has been blown out of the water.
Sitting on the road/parking space didn't Warp any rotor. I realize he says he feels plulsating in the pedal. Usually from stuck/sticky caliper sliders.

Ok, this was sarcasm, tight? My linear thinking isn't helping me discern that on internet posts this morning.

If it were me? I'd keep driving it the way it is, especially knowing it's fairly new pads and rotors?

Your brakes work, do you feel they are going to let you down and cause a collusion?
Pulsating always ment warped in my book. ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I only said feel 'warped' and purposely put into quotes. It is the pulsating effects that makes it feel like a warped rotor. I bought some generic Autozone rotors and pads, cannot recall the brand.

Once the weather gets warmer, I'll try to take off the wheels and sand down the rusty part with a little high grit sandpaper to see if it helps.

Will heed your advice on greasing the caliper slides a little more.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

I know bait when I smell it.... moving on ....

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Exactly.
I don't understand the need to correct this "myth" every time somebody mentions it. Every mechanic has said "warped rotors".
Thats like every doctor calling a certain class of medicines 'Blood Thinners'.

Those that know any physiology, etc. Could you imagine the effects on many organ systems, if you in fact made the blood 'thinner'? It affects the clotting mechanisms, it doesn't 'thin' anything.

Same with metallurgists- Is sitting in cold, or even getting hot going to 'warp' a steel rotor?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

Those that know any physiology, etc. Could you imagine the effects on many organ systems, if you in fact made the blood 'thinner'? It affects the clotting mechanisms, it doesn't 'thin' anything.

Same with metallurgists- Is sitting in cold, or even getting hot going to 'warp' a steel rotor?
Getting hot and sitting in a pot hole or puddle filled with cold water up to the hubs might do it.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,568 Posts

Well it's not certain people's job to correct everyone on the internet when they say their brake rotors have warped. It's like vultures...."rotors don't warp! It's a common myth! Educate yourself!". It truly doesn't matter. The way to correct it is very straight forward. Either turn/resurface the rotors or replace them. It's not like there's a different fix if the rotors have ACTUALLY warped vs a build up of pad deposits.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts