Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the remotes for two key fobs for my 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L died and I ordered a replacement remote online. I programmed the new remote, along with the old remote, and they both work to lock, unlock, etc. However, when I use the new remote as part of the old key, the vehicle turns on and cuts off after 2-3 seconds. When I use the other (previously existing key and remote), all works fine and the engine doesn’t cut off. Perhaps it’s a security issue with the Honda Pilot, or did I order the wrong key fob remote?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Dig the little NFC module out of the old case, or put the new remote guts in your old case. There should be a detail in the instructions for finding and moving it.

The security in the car depends on a small near field communications 'chip' to verify that the key is actually valid for the car. If/when you buy one from a dealer, they go through a reprogramming effort that includes erasing the memory in the car, then re-registering each key again separately. It requires HDS to do this. The aftermarket suppliers know this and usually tell you how to swap the chip.

There are more than a few online instructions (read: YouTube...) that will help you. I haven't had mine apart yet for anything, and don't have the massive collection of other keys and junk hanging on the Pilot key that typically causes the case failure. So haven't needed to do this yet, and hoping for the best...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response Dr. Bob. The remote control portion of the key fob is separate than the key housing for the 2015 Honda Pilot, and it sits inside it, and the “chip” must be embedded in the remote control section, not the key housing. When I use the old (dead) remote control inside the key housing, the vehicle turns on with no problem. I have swapped all I could between the old remote and the new remote, and no luck.

It appears the the NFC module is not part of the key housing as for older Honda’s but inside the remote. Next stop, take the car to the dealership to program the immobilizer chip (remote has been programmed and works properly). Fingers crossed that cost will be <$100.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Try a local locksmith ( Google is your friend) for prices before the dealer. By me, Ace Hardware charges $40 just to program. Takes 10 minutes.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts
Since you have one fully functioning fob with immobilizer chip, you have nothing to lose by taking apart the broken remote and searching for the immobilizer chip. If its just glued onto the remote it should be easy to transfer over. If it’s soldered onto the remote’s circuit board then you’ll require soldering skills. But first double check that the immobilizer chip isn’t glued onto the key housing as it is on my 2005 Pilot’s key fob.

One thing that doesn’t make sense to me is if the Pilot doesn’t recognize the immobilizer chip it shouldn’t start, at all. How close is the broken remote to the ignition switch when you attempt to start the Pilot with the new key fob?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts