Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confirmed my suspicions with the local mechanic and our local Honda shop . I didn't say anything to them about it they are the ones who advised me on it.
Now comes down to OEM or something close to it ..online it's still a grand to purchase the OEM one .. not an issue for funds since the old oem one brought my pilot to well over 200k .

Looked at Rock auto they offer Cardone as a vendor for it I heard nightmares with them .. Only reason why I'm posting is to see what others have had installed and not have any issues .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Confirmed my suspicions with the local mechanic and our local Honda shop . I didn't say anything to them about it they are the ones who advised me on it.
Now comes down to OEM or something close to it ..online it's still a grand to purchase the OEM one .. not an issue for funds since the old oem one brought my pilot to well over 200k .

Looked at Rock auto they offer Cardone as a vendor for it I heard nightmares with them .. Only reason why I'm posting is to see what others have had installed and not have any issues .
What is it that your experiencing that made you suspect r&p?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
loose play while driving , checked the usual under neath and discovered the unit leaking ..cleaned up the area and took it to my honda place to use my oil change coupon.
they do a check over on the pilot and give a book on the crap that is needed .. R&P was recommended for replacement to due leaking . With over 220k on it i'm just going to change it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
loose play while driving , checked the usual under neath and discovered the unit leaking ..cleaned up the area and took it to my honda place to use my oil change coupon.
they do a check over on the pilot and give a book on the crap that is needed .. R&P was recommended for replacement to due leaking . With over 220k on it i'm just going to change it out.
Worth it after so many miles, I know what to look for when I check, thanks.

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
I just has to replace a power steering hose a few months back going to the box. Very expensive Honda only part..,

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
812 Posts
While I can see it making sense to go with the much more expensive OEM rack and pinion because it lasted the car 200k miles, but do you plan to keep the car for another 200k? I would be hesitant to spend that much money on OEM when I certainly wouldn't really be needing to get another 200k miles out of it. Just a thought...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed this is the cross road where I am it’s the bosses favorite ride . She’s willing to help with the install and half of the cost if we go with oem. The pilot has next to nothing for rust so other than this it’s been hassle free.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Perhaps try adding an ounce of AT 205 while you think about what rack to buy. Scotty Kilmer and Steve Rob both swear by it. Rob did a video where he seals his Chevy PS unit. Might be an easy way to buy a couple of months or more before you need to do the job.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
That's the same cross roads we all will have to cross especially in this section of the forum for first generation Pilots. For me investing in an older Pilot in good running condition delays the purchase of a replacement. My '04 Pilot has just the right amount of integrated electronics (no TPMS) and is relatively simple to repair. But as mentioned above i'd take a shot with a reman rack at that upper high mileage.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps try adding an ounce of AT 205 while you think about what rack to buy. Scotty Kilmer and Steve Rob both swear by it. Rob did a video where he seals his Chevy PS unit. Might be an easy way to buy a couple of months or more before you need to do the job.
Yes I have tried this a year ago there is another thread on this .. it lasts only 6 months or so but eventually I prefer just to fix the issue all together.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the same cross roads we all will have to cross especially in this section of the forum for first generation Pilots. For me investing in an older Pilot in good running condition delays the purchase of a replacement. My '04 Pilot has just the right amount of integrated electronics (no TPMS) and is relatively simple to repair. But as mentioned above i'd take a shot with a reman rack at that upper high mileage.
True that’s why I was posting to see who had some really good luck on an reman rack I don’t want to spend money and end up ripping it out year or two later . Also the boss thinks the same anything new isn’t going to work she hates the mini van look . She loves the rugged look with the 255’s

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
812 Posts
True that’s why I was posting to see who had some really good luck on an reman rack I don’t want to spend money and end up ripping it out year or two later . Also the boss thinks the same anything new isn’t going to work she hates the mini van look . She loves the rugged look with the 255’s
My Pilot has a remanufactured rack and pinion on it. I believe it was NAPA reman. It’s been about 90,000 miles and seems to be holding up just fine. No leaking or anything. I’m not sure which Pilot you’re looking to replace it on but for mine the part was only about $300.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 06 aka happy trails pilot 300 isn’t that bad was that with a core return ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts